So, I'm a portuguese "aspie"... how can I get started in this business?
Thread poster: CatiaCruz
CatiaCruz
CatiaCruz
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Nov 19, 2012

Hello, my name is Cátia, I'm from Portugal and I suffer from Asperger's Syndrome.

I have a degree in Portuguese and English and I've been studying the language since I was 8.

The thing is, due to my "condition" it is really hard for me to get a job as I have a lack of social skills or experience in social situations. I often have panic attacks...

Life is hard and I really needed to make some money. I feel like I could be efficient in translation, but I don
... See more
Hello, my name is Cátia, I'm from Portugal and I suffer from Asperger's Syndrome.

I have a degree in Portuguese and English and I've been studying the language since I was 8.

The thing is, due to my "condition" it is really hard for me to get a job as I have a lack of social skills or experience in social situations. I often have panic attacks...

Life is hard and I really needed to make some money. I feel like I could be efficient in translation, but I don't know where to start. Where can I find some translation jobs? It would be really important to me to be able to work from home.

Could someone, please, give me some ideas where/how to start? Could you show me the ropes?

Thank you for your time,

Cátia
Collapse

Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:33
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Photo Nov 19, 2012

Hi Catia,

First of all, change your ID photo. It's very attractive but not really appropriate for a professional image.

I'll leave the rest to the usual suspects.

Good luck.

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 17:33
English to Czech
+ ...
Another thread Nov 19, 2012

Hi Cátia,
perhaps you would like to visit this thread where another "aspie", who is a successful translation professional with long years of experience, talks about his condition.

Good luck!

Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Germany
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
Olá Cátia, Nov 19, 2012

I believe that with the increase of internet-based work great times lie ahead for the socially less gifted. I count myself among those, although not diagnosed with any disorder. But after sucessfully avoiding any regular nine-to-five job for years, I enjoy the new opportunities waiting online and I know I will always prefer a job I can do from home to a better-paid one that forces me out of my house (or the remote place where I prefer to live).

You should start by browsing through t
... See more
I believe that with the increase of internet-based work great times lie ahead for the socially less gifted. I count myself among those, although not diagnosed with any disorder. But after sucessfully avoiding any regular nine-to-five job for years, I enjoy the new opportunities waiting online and I know I will always prefer a job I can do from home to a better-paid one that forces me out of my house (or the remote place where I prefer to live).

You should start by browsing through this and other sites. Lots of information is readily available - you should find articles and training as well as other forum posts about becoming a freelance translator on this site and in this forum.

One of the main concerns of a freelancer working online is how we present ourselves - the avatar pic has been mentioned, but attention to detail when filling out profiles and submiting CVs and applications are all crucial as well.

After reading a bit through the information, you might come up with some more specific questions that you could ask in the forum. They might be easier for other forum members to answer than the general "How to get started" questions.
Good luck!

Kind regards
Anna
Collapse

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
Agree with Susanna Nov 19, 2012

I also don't see how your condition should affect you in this business. A lack of social graces isn't exactly rare among translators.

Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Social graces Nov 19, 2012

Ty Kendall wrote:

I also don't see how your condition should affect you in this business. A lack of social graces isn't exactly rare among translators.

Absolutely!

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 12:33
SITE STAFF
A couple of starting points Nov 19, 2012

Hi Cátia,

First, welcome to the site! ProZ.com-wise, a couple of good starting points are the site guidance center and the "Getting started" area. These give some of the basics for using ProZ.com to get where you want to go. As Anna Sarah says, there is a wealth of information here and elsewhere on the web, and no shortage of experienced professionals willing to share that experience (the "Getting established forum is a good place to search).

The site guidance center i
... See more
Hi Cátia,

First, welcome to the site! ProZ.com-wise, a couple of good starting points are the site guidance center and the "Getting started" area. These give some of the basics for using ProZ.com to get where you want to go. As Anna Sarah says, there is a wealth of information here and elsewhere on the web, and no shortage of experienced professionals willing to share that experience (the "Getting established forum is a good place to search).

The site guidance center is at http://www.proz.com/guidance-center

and "Getting started" is at http://www.proz.com/pages/getting_started

Good luck!

Jared
Collapse

matt robinson
matt robinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Bollocks to social graces Nov 19, 2012

If you can do a job which is valued economically, which we can, then working as a freelance frees you in general from the restraints of company culture. With a few easily learned email protocols you should be able to avoid causing even the slightest feeling of discomfort among your associates.

Good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

So, I'm a portuguese "aspie"... how can I get started in this business?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »