Aniello Scognamiglio (X)
Aniello Scognamiglio (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:29
English to German
+ ...
Feb 6, 2009

Dear fellow translators,

excuse me for writing in English. I do not know any Greek.
I have travelled Greece a couple of times and I have been to Santorini twice.
I love this volcano island.

My question is:
If I wanted to move to Santorini to work there as a freelance translator (German mother tongue, English/Italian-German translations) what would you recommend me to do? Do you know any translator living there? How easy or difficult is it to find a fl
... See more
Dear fellow translators,

excuse me for writing in English. I do not know any Greek.
I have travelled Greece a couple of times and I have been to Santorini twice.
I love this volcano island.

My question is:
If I wanted to move to Santorini to work there as a freelance translator (German mother tongue, English/Italian-German translations) what would you recommend me to do? Do you know any translator living there? How easy or difficult is it to find a flat?

Your information and feedback is very much appreciated.
Many thanks!
Aniello
Collapse

d_vachliot (X)
d_vachliot (X)
Local time: 20:29
Greek to English
+ ...
A few words of advice... Feb 6, 2009

Hi Aniello,

It's not very difficult to find a place to stay in Santorini during the winter. It depends on what you're looking for. However, good year-round permanent accommodation can be hard to come by, mainly because most of the good places are reserved for the summer period. Again, it depends on what you're looking for and what you can afford.

Before moving there, I would make sure that I already have established a national or international client base to provide me
... See more
Hi Aniello,

It's not very difficult to find a place to stay in Santorini during the winter. It depends on what you're looking for. However, good year-round permanent accommodation can be hard to come by, mainly because most of the good places are reserved for the summer period. Again, it depends on what you're looking for and what you can afford.

Before moving there, I would make sure that I already have established a national or international client base to provide me with regular translation work. I don't think you would be able to find much translation work from local sources. Again, it depends, I mean anything is possible, but I wouldn't count solely on that.

Good luck.
Dimitris

[Edited at 2009-02-06 11:15 GMT]
Collapse

Katerina Athanasaki
Katerina Athanasaki  Identity Verified
English to Greek
+ ...
Fast internet connection? Feb 6, 2009

Plus, you'd have to check if you can get a reliable fast Internet connection there. Condicio sine qua non...

Aniello Scognamiglio (X)
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you. Feb 7, 2009

D. Vachliotis wrote:

Hi Aniello,

Before moving there, I would make sure that I already have established a national or international client base to provide me with regular translation work. I don't think you would be able to find much translation work from local sources. Again, it depends, I mean anything is possible, but I wouldn't count solely on that.

Good luck.
Dimitris

[Edited at 2009-02-06 11:15 GMT]

Hi D. Vachliotis,

Santorini in winter is probably a lonely place. Summers are different, of course.
I was there last July, and it was not crowded at all. I was thinking about 2 rooms with sea view, no luxury required, but a high-speed Internet connection is a must. For the time being, I am only dreaming... However, I cannot exclude that one day I will live there. Perhaps the best thing would be to spend another holiday on Santorini and ask people already living there.

Many thanks,
Aniello

Aniello Scognamiglio (X)
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Katerina. Feb 7, 2009

Katerina_A wrote:

Plus, you'd have to check if you can get a reliable fast Internet connection there. Condicio sine qua non...

You are right: Without a fast and reliable Internet connection it would be impossible to run a translation service business and to stay in touch with hundreds of ProZians

Best,
Aniello

Angeliki Papadopoulou
Angeliki Papadopoulou  Identity Verified
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
My throughts exactly, Aniello! Feb 7, 2009

This is what I was going to suggest. Come back for a visit - maybe choose a different time to see the island and decide for yourself whether you want to spend, say, winters there.

A close friend of my daughter's did that, decided she wanted to spend a few years on an island and chose another island in the same group (Serifos). She worked in a bar all summer and had fun. In the fall she found a job teaching children English, and although she says it's not too bad, she finds it lonely
... See more
This is what I was going to suggest. Come back for a visit - maybe choose a different time to see the island and decide for yourself whether you want to spend, say, winters there.

A close friend of my daughter's did that, decided she wanted to spend a few years on an island and chose another island in the same group (Serifos). She worked in a bar all summer and had fun. In the fall she found a job teaching children English, and although she says it's not too bad, she finds it lonely being there with just the locals. Mind you, she is 24 and single, which may have something to do with it!

Now I know our profession is a more or less solitary one and most of us are used to working alone. Looking at your profile page I can see that you probably have enough customers to keep you busy, but, if you are on your own, the loneliness bit is something else...

As for the fast Internet connection issue, I have checked for Andros, which yet another island in the same group and I have verified that it is available there. I see no reason why it wouldn't be available in Santorini, but it is easy to check by telephone.

Cheers
Lina

P.S. I just checked online, and broadband is available there, but there seem quite a few complaints regarding speed

[Έγινε επεξεργασία στις 2009-02-07 15:13 GMT]
Collapse

d_vachliot (X)
d_vachliot (X)
Greek to English
+ ...
Internet Feb 7, 2009

Hi again,

of course there are good DSL connections available in Santorini. I know that from a friend. But I also know for a fact that good accommodation is hard to come by. It depends on where you want to stay. Having said that, if you get there early, I'm sure you'll be able to find a decent place.

Santorini is one of the few islands in Greece that is quite busy almost all-year round, from early Spring until late Fall.

Good luck.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Living in Santorini

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »