require help from the experts in translation
Thread poster: salman
salman
salman
Local time: 19:17
English to Japanese
Aug 1, 2002

I have just begun translating. As such,I require help in making my career a success.

Few points where in I require your suggestions, advices are mentioned below.

1. I am a Japanese to English translator.

Hence, when I get difficult sentences, how to deal with. That means where do I concentrate on, read out the full sentence or catch phrases or or or or. No idea as to how to start.

2. What to consider as most important wh
... See more
I have just begun translating. As such,I require help in making my career a success.

Few points where in I require your suggestions, advices are mentioned below.

1. I am a Japanese to English translator.

Hence, when I get difficult sentences, how to deal with. That means where do I concentrate on, read out the full sentence or catch phrases or or or or. No idea as to how to start.

2. What to consider as most important when translating from Japanese to English. Probably this can be answered by the masters in this pair or by the other pairs\' masters.

3. When it comes to technical translation (includes all engineering fields), what is the best way to do.

This is just few of my queries, and I feel there is no end to my queries when I felt like questioning the experts in a wonderful forum like this.

Please also provide me a list of all engineering dictionaries in Japanese to English and vice versa.

domo arigato gozaimashita (thank you very much)
Collapse

Bob Kerns (X)
Bob Kerns (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:47
German to English
Comment which will probably not help you much Aug 2, 2002

Hello Salman,

I suspect that the reason why you havn\'t received a reply to your questions for over 24 hours is that nobody feels courageous enough to tell you that your English isn\'t (yet) good enough to make a successful career in translating into English, at least in the European market.

My reply may well discourage you and upset you but let\'s face it: There\'s no point investing in a career which is supposed to pay your bills if you don\'t have suf
... See more
Hello Salman,

I suspect that the reason why you havn\'t received a reply to your questions for over 24 hours is that nobody feels courageous enough to tell you that your English isn\'t (yet) good enough to make a successful career in translating into English, at least in the European market.

My reply may well discourage you and upset you but let\'s face it: There\'s no point investing in a career which is supposed to pay your bills if you don\'t have sufficient knowledge of your target language or of how to approach translation of technical texts or \"difficult sentences\".

On a constructive note I suggest that you consider trying to get a job in engineering (if that is really your field) with an international company which will give you an opportunity to improve your English in the sector in which you have studied. In the long term you may then decide that it\'s better to stick to engineering rather than translation.

Regards from Germany
Collapse

Minna Wood MITI (Purring CAT Ltd.) (X)
Minna Wood MITI (Purring CAT Ltd.) (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Finnish
+ ...
Becoming a professional translator Aug 2, 2002

Salman,

I have to say that I agree with Robert.

My suggestion to you is, provided you are seriously interested in becoming a professional translator, that you find a university where you can study translation. It will take you a few years to complete a course in translation but you will not only improve your English and Japanese language skills but also learn different translation techniques. In most universities you can also take a more specific course
... See more
Salman,

I have to say that I agree with Robert.

My suggestion to you is, provided you are seriously interested in becoming a professional translator, that you find a university where you can study translation. It will take you a few years to complete a course in translation but you will not only improve your English and Japanese language skills but also learn different translation techniques. In most universities you can also take a more specific course in a field that you are interested in so that eventually you can use that skill in translation (or maybe you already are a professional in a particular field), as it is very important to specialize at least in one area. You might also consider living some time in UK/US where you will be surrounded by English language everywhere (best way to learn).

Also, I would like to ask you why you want to translate into your non-native English rather than Japanese when most professional translators translate into their native language? I have been a translator for almost 8 years now and, because my native Finnish is a rare language and it is not very easy to find many English native speakers who can translate from Finnish, I sometimes get enquires about translating into English. I have always refused these jobs until very recently. Now, after having lived in the UK for 6 years, I only accept jobs from Finnish into English that are not technical/from a specialized field and only texts that will not be published (letters etc.). And even then I use an English proof reader who checks my translation before returning the job. So maybe you would rather like to consider translating from English into Japanese? It still means that your knowledge in English needs to be up to scratch for you to be able to understand all the nuances of the language.

I hope my advice won’t discourage you from re-thinking your plans to become a professional translator. I am sure you are willing to learn since you posted this topic, and enthusiastic about translation. That’s a very good starting point in becoming an excellent translator! But you have to invest in it…

I wish you good luck!

Minna

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

require help from the experts in translation

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »