Why the lack of translation degrees programs in US?
Thread poster: Palmyra
Palmyra
Palmyra  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:46
English to Russian
+ ...
Jul 17, 2002

Hi everybody,

I have moved to Washington DC about a year ago and I have been very willing to get a degree in translation. When I strated looking for programs and universities in the area I faced the following picture: Among all the universities in and around DC only American University offers certificate programs in translation. geroge mason has eliminated certificate in translation in 2000, Georgetown opened program in translation in 2001 for the last time, i.e. also stoppe
... See more
Hi everybody,

I have moved to Washington DC about a year ago and I have been very willing to get a degree in translation. When I strated looking for programs and universities in the area I faced the following picture: Among all the universities in and around DC only American University offers certificate programs in translation. geroge mason has eliminated certificate in translation in 2000, Georgetown opened program in translation in 2001 for the last time, i.e. also stopped. Besides American University, there is a couple of langauge schools that offer certification, but I am interested in more advanced education. My question is: Is there anything wrong with translators\' education? Is it SO unpopular that universities do not even bother? Am I located in the wrong spot for it (which does not seem very logical)? I am not trying to make a point I am simply curious and very surprised. Is there any explalnation to this? Maybe I just do not know something very obvious every translator knows?
Collapse

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
You're right. Jul 17, 2002

There has never been much emphasis on languages in the U.S., and we don\'t know when there will be. However, you might take a look at MIIS over on this side of the continent near where I am temporarily located right now.

Monterey Institute of International Studies, Monterey, CA. (MIIS).

I did not study there, I had to learn the hard way, by doing.

But this school has a reputation of being among the best. It\'s also expensive, as is t
... See more
There has never been much emphasis on languages in the U.S., and we don\'t know when there will be. However, you might take a look at MIIS over on this side of the continent near where I am temporarily located right now.

Monterey Institute of International Studies, Monterey, CA. (MIIS).

I did not study there, I had to learn the hard way, by doing.

But this school has a reputation of being among the best. It\'s also expensive, as is the cost of living in this area... $$$$$.
Collapse

Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
United States
Local time: 00:46
English to Arabic
+ ...
Translation skills = usually a certficate, rather than a degree Jul 18, 2002

Greetings.

In a number of post-secondary institutions in the US, translation skills represent \"professional/functional training.\"

That completed training is evidenced usually by a certificate, sometimes added to a degree in a related major such a (language X) or linguistics.

California State University, Long Beach offers a BA in translation & interpretation.

Some community colleges in CA offer intensive progr
... See more
Greetings.

In a number of post-secondary institutions in the US, translation skills represent \"professional/functional training.\"

That completed training is evidenced usually by a certificate, sometimes added to a degree in a related major such a (language X) or linguistics.

California State University, Long Beach offers a BA in translation & interpretation.

Some community colleges in CA offer intensive programs in medical interprteting.

HTH.
Collapse

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:46
German to English
+ ...
MIIS Jul 18, 2002

I am a graduate of MIIS if you have any questions. (MA Translation German, 1997)

Mimi7
Mimi7
Local time: 01:46
English to French
+ ...
foreign languages historically not a priority in U.S. (but that is changing) Jul 18, 2002

I agree with the others. Additionally, I believe enrollment is low for translation degrees for a few reasons (from my experience as a university ajunct prof):

1 - Until recently, U.S. elementary and secondary schools have never required a foreign language as part of the curriculum. Consequently, by the time one got to the university level, there were few students who could speak a language or who had an interest in it.

2 - U.S. universities have incredibly rigid
... See more
I agree with the others. Additionally, I believe enrollment is low for translation degrees for a few reasons (from my experience as a university ajunct prof):

1 - Until recently, U.S. elementary and secondary schools have never required a foreign language as part of the curriculum. Consequently, by the time one got to the university level, there were few students who could speak a language or who had an interest in it.

2 - U.S. universities have incredibly rigid and often limited budgets. Liberal Arts related degrees are often among the first to be cut if funds are low (languages included).

3 - being geographically isolated and english being a primary business language worldwide, we\'ve not \"seen the need\" for it.

I\'ll add however, that this trend is indeed changing in the U.S. Languages are now more often required in secondary levels. And as globalisation has played an increased role in the world, I believe we\'re staring to \"see the light\" a bit more.
Collapse

JKB
JKB
United States
Local time: 03:46
English to German
+ ...
another option: studying online Jul 19, 2002

Hi,

You might want to check into the option of studying online ... a friend of mine who lives in OH is thinking about doing an online degree in translation. Studying online would also mean that you don\'t have to leave Washington ... just an idea!

good luck!

Hinara
Hinara  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
University in Arizona Sep 27, 2002

As it\'s been said you will more likely find certificate programs, some of which should be considered degrees. The extension programs at University of California, Riverside and University of California, Los Angeles have excellent certificate programs; however the emphasis is in interpreting in the legal field, ie: court interpreters. I am learning mostly by doing and paln on finishing a certificate program to polish my interpreting skills and expand my legal vocabulary. If you cannot invest in ... See more
As it\'s been said you will more likely find certificate programs, some of which should be considered degrees. The extension programs at University of California, Riverside and University of California, Los Angeles have excellent certificate programs; however the emphasis is in interpreting in the legal field, ie: court interpreters. I am learning mostly by doing and paln on finishing a certificate program to polish my interpreting skills and expand my legal vocabulary. If you cannot invest in a program like the one at MIIT, I would suggest self teaching.Collapse

Hinara
Hinara  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
another university Sep 27, 2002

Translation and Interpretation Institute, Seattle, Washington

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why the lack of translation degrees programs in US?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »