Which agencies to apply for?
Thread poster: Julia Kasper
Julia Kasper
Julia Kasper
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:48
English to German
Nov 3, 2003

Does it make sense to apply to agencies in countries where my source and target language are not spoken? I was thinking of purchasing a mailing list however it might be waste of money if the majority of agencies are not suitable for my language combination.
What is your experience?

Julia

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:48
Spanish to English
+ ...
It does - on the off-chance Nov 3, 2003

If your native language is not spoken in a country, there is always the chance that people needing it will be strapped for a translator. This may not be regular business, but it can be lucrative where your native language is rare.

HTH.

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 19:48
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
I don't know if I'm right Nov 3, 2003

but the impression I have is that the country where the agency is is less important for the languages than for the rates you wish to apply.

For example, you're going to be too expensive for a Chilean or Argentinian agency, unless their client is from Europe or North America.

In fact, for me the most important reason to contact an agency is that they're professional and that most of the translators who work for it would like to do it again (the Blue Board is useful for t
... See more
but the impression I have is that the country where the agency is is less important for the languages than for the rates you wish to apply.

For example, you're going to be too expensive for a Chilean or Argentinian agency, unless their client is from Europe or North America.

In fact, for me the most important reason to contact an agency is that they're professional and that most of the translators who work for it would like to do it again (the Blue Board is useful for this). And that their rates fit mine.
Collapse

Melina Kajander
Melina Kajander
Finland
English to Finnish
+ ...
Language specialization of the agency Nov 4, 2003

I think what matters is not so much whether your source and target language are spoken in that country where the agency is, but whether the particular agency actually deals with your language pair or not (i.e. whether they are specialized in your language pair/s or not)!
I have not purchased any e-mail directories for this particular reason, as they don't categorize agencies regarding which languages they are specialized in, not for the reason you mentioned.

(But I'm only a 'n
... See more
I think what matters is not so much whether your source and target language are spoken in that country where the agency is, but whether the particular agency actually deals with your language pair or not (i.e. whether they are specialized in your language pair/s or not)!
I have not purchased any e-mail directories for this particular reason, as they don't categorize agencies regarding which languages they are specialized in, not for the reason you mentioned.

(But I'm only a 'novice' as well, so other people might know better..?)
Collapse

Julia Kasper
Julia Kasper
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:48
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your thoughts. Julia Nov 4, 2003

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which agencies to apply for?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »