Turcja
Członek ProZ.com
od 2006

angielski > arabski
+ ...
Nov 26, 2007

Dear all,
I hope you all are doing very well.
I was approached by a client to translate a job from English into Arabic. The client asked me to do as follows:

"Could you return us the translation in with the fonts transformed to curves (letter contours) so that we can process your translation in InDesign ?"

Could you help me understand how to do it?
Thank you very much for your consideration and time.

Ali Al-awadi

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Holandia
Local time: 16:24
Członek ProZ.com
od 2006

angielski > afrikaans
+ ...
This makes no sense Nov 26, 2007

Ali Al awadi wrote:
"Could you return us the translation in with the fonts transformed to curves (letter contours) so that we can process your translation in InDesign ?"

I would have thought that fonts that are converted to curves would be totally useless in a DTP package, unless they're expecting to make no further changes to the text. Surely editable text is better...?

I'm not sure what programs can be used to convert fonts to curves, though. This is usually done in the DTP program itself.

Riens Middelhof
Riens Middelhof  Identity Verified
Holandia
Local time: 16:24
hiszpański > niderlandzki
+ ...
Illustrator... Nov 26, 2007

It can be done in Adobe InDesign or Illustrator. Any version will do. You won´t be able to edit afterwards, so you will have to know which font type to use and how many characters wide the text is supposed to be (Put the text into a box and adapt the font size to the desired amount of characters/line).

- Paste the text in a box and adapt font type and size as required
- Select all the text with the selection tool (black arrow)
- Then you go to Type > Create Outlines
... See more
It can be done in Adobe InDesign or Illustrator. Any version will do. You won´t be able to edit afterwards, so you will have to know which font type to use and how many characters wide the text is supposed to be (Put the text into a box and adapt the font size to the desired amount of characters/line).

- Paste the text in a box and adapt font type and size as required
- Select all the text with the selection tool (black arrow)
- Then you go to Type > Create Outlines
- Save in a vector format (InDesign, Illustrator)

I´m sure you can do this with Macromedia Freehand or Corel Draw too, but I can´t help you with those...

Good luck

--
It makes some sense as the client might not have the Arabic fonts available...

[Editado a las 2007-11-26 16:57]
Collapse

Ali Alawadi
Ali Alawadi  Identity Verified
Turcja
Członek ProZ.com
od 2006

angielski > arabski
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Indesign Nov 26, 2007

Samuel Murray wrote:
I'm not sure what programs can be used to convert fonts to curves, though. This is usually done in the DTP program itself.

Right you are, Samuel! Unfortunately, a DTP program must be used. Anyway, I tried using Indesign, and it works well, fortunately. Thank you very much for your prompt response, Samuel!

Ali Alawadi
Ali Alawadi  Identity Verified
Turcja
Członek ProZ.com
od 2006

angielski > arabski
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
That's it! Nov 26, 2007

Riens Middelhof wrote:
It can be done in Adobe InDesign or Illustrator. Any version will do.

So grateful to you for the thorough solution, Riens. It is going fine with Indesign. Thanks a lot!

Kind regards
Ali Al-awadi

ahmadwadan.com
ahmadwadan.com  Identity Verified
Arabia Saudyjska
Local time: 17:24
angielski > arabski
+ ...
The core idea Nov 29, 2007

Dear Ali,

I may input that the core idea of different wording you may find (curves, outline...etc) is to convert text to vector shapes using a special software such as Adobe Illustrator, Corel...etc.

Kind regards

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderatorzy tego forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fonts transformation to curves

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »