ahmadwadan.com
ahmadwadan.com  Identity Verified
Саудовская Аравия
Local time: 12:10
английский => арабский
+ ...
Oct 7, 2007

Hi,

Have you gotten the chance to use both? any actual difference you experienced in terms of speed/performance especially when opening many applications at the same time?

I read about differences but I need views from users not ads.

Thank you

Ahmad Wadan
English-Arabic Financial & IT Translator

Fran Hermoso (X)
Fran Hermoso (X)
Local time: 11:10
испанский => английский
+ ...
I'd choose Core 2 Duo Oct 7, 2007

I haven't quite tested intel quad core, but my laptop uses core2duo and it just works great!
That thing you say about launching many apps is mainly tested by the RAM , not by the CPU.
I could give you some more effective recomendations if you gave more information about what you do on your daily life, but most users do with core 2 duo. I'd say a Quad Core is for Pro users who need a super powerful computer (in other words, that could fly on its own), whereas the Core 2 Duo is for Pro
... See more
I haven't quite tested intel quad core, but my laptop uses core2duo and it just works great!
That thing you say about launching many apps is mainly tested by the RAM , not by the CPU.
I could give you some more effective recomendations if you gave more information about what you do on your daily life, but most users do with core 2 duo. I'd say a Quad Core is for Pro users who need a super powerful computer (in other words, that could fly on its own), whereas the Core 2 Duo is for Pro users who need their computer to just work in whatever they need.
Collapse

Shai Navé
Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Израиль
английский => иврит
+ ...
Core 2 Duo is good enough Oct 7, 2007

Core 2 Duo is good enough (and even a litlle more) for almost all users. As Fran mentioned earlier, if you are interested in a flow of work and working simultaneously with many apps, buy at least 2GB of RAM, maybe even 4GB.
You won't fell any difference in using Core 2 Duo or Quad Core, but you will definitely feel difference when using 2-4GB of RAM instead of 1 GB.

Sven Petersson
Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Швеция
английский => шведский
+ ...
Bang for buck Oct 7, 2007

A Quad is the last you should consider when looking for bang for buck in typical translation applications.

Your first priority should be RAM, 4GB on a 32-bit system, more on a 64-bit system.

Your 2nd priority should be disk drives, 2-3 Raptors or 15000 rpm SCSIs in RAID 0 make all the difference.

Sven Petersson
Medical translator

ahmadwadan.com
ahmadwadan.com  Identity Verified
Саудовская Аравия
английский => арабский
+ ...
Автор темы
Thank you Oct 8, 2007

Thank you dear colleagues for valuable information.

Kind regards

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Германия
Член ProZ.com c 2003
польский => немецкий
+ ...
RAM and Windows XP Oct 8, 2007

Please take into consideration, that Windows XP is not able to address 4 GIG of RAM. The maximal amount addressed is about 3.5 GB RAM (I have 4 GIG in my system, but Windows can "see" only 3.5).

As for the processor speed: an older dual core PIV with 3,4 GHz is completly sufficient in my desktop system. Even a single core PIV Mobile 2 GHz in my laptop does its job quite well, but not so smoothly as the desktop at home.

Best regards
Jerzy

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
польский => английский
+ ...
Remember AMD! Oct 8, 2007

I am and will continue to be a fan of AMD processors. Their parameters are not as razor-sharp as those of Intel processors, but the price is ca. half that of Intel processors.

Use the money saved on the processor to invest in high-speed RAM (dual channel). Just make sure the mother board accepts it.

@Sven
Raptor drives are very expensive and have small capacities. Also (but this is second-hand info.), their life expectancy is shorter than that of slower drives. Th
... See more
I am and will continue to be a fan of AMD processors. Their parameters are not as razor-sharp as those of Intel processors, but the price is ca. half that of Intel processors.

Use the money saved on the processor to invest in high-speed RAM (dual channel). Just make sure the mother board accepts it.

@Sven
Raptor drives are very expensive and have small capacities. Also (but this is second-hand info.), their life expectancy is shorter than that of slower drives. They are also louder than regular drives, so if you're a quiet computer fanatic, this may be a problem.

Pawel Skalinski
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Германия
Член ProZ.com c 2003
польский => немецкий
+ ...
@PAS Oct 8, 2007

I'm afraid your attitude against Intel has to change. The fact AMD is cheaper than Intel belongs to the past. Recently Intel processors have similar prices to AMDs.
Intel® Core 2 Duo E6850 Boxed comes 259 Euro and is a very fast one. You can also take the Intel® Core 2 Duo E6750 Boxed for 179 Euro, which is nearly as fast as the first one - and on top you can easilly increase the CPU speed with this one.
Intel® Core 2 Duo E6550 Boxed is 159 Euro and its AMD colleague with similar
... See more
I'm afraid your attitude against Intel has to change. The fact AMD is cheaper than Intel belongs to the past. Recently Intel processors have similar prices to AMDs.
Intel® Core 2 Duo E6850 Boxed comes 259 Euro and is a very fast one. You can also take the Intel® Core 2 Duo E6750 Boxed for 179 Euro, which is nearly as fast as the first one - and on top you can easilly increase the CPU speed with this one.
Intel® Core 2 Duo E6550 Boxed is 159 Euro and its AMD colleague with similar capabilities, AMD Athlon64Bit X2 6000+ Tray Windsor, is 149 Euros.

As for Raptors - according to the opinions I could read in various computer magazines their life cycles are better than for other HDDs with 7200 rpm. If you go for SCSI solutions, the life cycles there are much higher, as SCSI drives are designed for non-stop-operation, while many 7200 rpm HDDs are treated as desktop drives and not dedicated to be operated permanently. Some time ago IBM has had a poblem with its HDD series due to failures when drives were operated longer than 8 hrs per day on regular basis. The noise level from a Raptor drive is not much worser than from many other HDDs. If you wanna have a silent PC, so you would need to chose a very silent drive and passive cooling systems or water cooling - makes the PC quite expensive then. In such situation Intel will be the better choice, as the new Intels do not produce so much heat.

Jerzy
Collapse

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
польский => английский
+ ...
@ Jerzy Oct 8, 2007

Well, maybe the price differences between the processors I was interested in are slightly larger in Poland. The Windsor AMD 6000+ is one of the processors I am considering now.

As for the Raptors - maybe the durability is OK, but still they are very expensive per GB and I am not sure the speed advantage is worth the difference in price.

Then again - always buy the best you can afford. If you have the money, by all means get as state of the art as possible.

... See more
Well, maybe the price differences between the processors I was interested in are slightly larger in Poland. The Windsor AMD 6000+ is one of the processors I am considering now.

As for the Raptors - maybe the durability is OK, but still they are very expensive per GB and I am not sure the speed advantage is worth the difference in price.

Then again - always buy the best you can afford. If you have the money, by all means get as state of the art as possible.

P.A.S.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Модератор(ы) этого форума
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Intel Quad Core vs Core 2 Duo

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »