PowerPoint Presentation to SDL Trados 2017 error - Not all text extracted (Urgent help needed)
Thread poster: Vincent Lemma
Vincent Lemma
Vincent Lemma  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 21:10
Italian to English
+ ...
Oct 9, 2023

Hello,
I have a large ppt presentation file of 115 slides and I have tried importing it several times into SDL 2017 but only 7000 words circa out of 25k are displayed, meaning that the majority of text is not even recognized!
I simply have no idea what is wrong as this is the 7th file of a 7 part series and all other previous files were extracted perfectly, even the tables and charts.

I am in urgent need of help.
Thank you

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:10
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Try Cafetran Oct 9, 2023

Vincent Lemma wrote:

Hello,
I have a large ppt presentation file of 115 slides and I have tried importing it several times into SDL 2017 but only 7000 words circa out of 25k are displayed, meaning that the majority of text is not even recognized!
I simply have no idea what is wrong as this is the 7th file of a 7 part series and all other previous files were extracted perfectly, even the tables and charts.

I am in urgent need of help.
Thank you

there may be a limit on the amount of stuff that SDL can process. It may in fact have imported the whole file but will not "reveal" all of it until you have finished translating the first parts.

Try Cafetran- Just drop the PPT file anywhere on the Cafetran interface and it will be imported automatically. But again, if the file is very big, you may not see all of it because of display/processing limitations.

Just a guess.

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Difficult to guess Oct 9, 2023

I never had this problem with very large presentations.

What I would do:
1. Look in the PPT and Identify which parts of the text have not been imported. It is not necessary to find the whole missing text, a sentence might suffice.
2. Ensure that the missing text is editable or selectable.
3.If it is not selectable, find out if it is protected by pw or an image text. If so, revert to the Client and agree the relevant solution.
4. If it is selectable, then see
... See more
I never had this problem with very large presentations.

What I would do:
1. Look in the PPT and Identify which parts of the text have not been imported. It is not necessary to find the whole missing text, a sentence might suffice.
2. Ensure that the missing text is editable or selectable.
3.If it is not selectable, find out if it is protected by pw or an image text. If so, revert to the Client and agree the relevant solution.
4. If it is selectable, then see if you can identify any particularity in the structure of the slides where the missing text is located. You can also try to save the PPT as PPTX or viceversa, and see if any relevant warning message appears.
5. Look in Trados (File > Option > File Type) if you can identify some options related to PPT(X) files that you might try to (de) select or edit.
6. If your Trados version is old and the PPTX was generated with a recent version of Office, you might need to update it. First check the specifics about the versions in Trados documentation or ask to RWS support.
7. Try a different cat tool.

It could be a good idea to jump from step 5 directly to 7.

Hope it helps. If possible, let us know about the results when you have time.

[Edited at 2023-10-09 12:56 GMT]
Collapse

Jorge Payan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PowerPoint Presentation to SDL Trados 2017 error - Not all text extracted (Urgent help needed)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »