liz askew  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:41
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
Mar 19, 2010

Hello and good evening!

I have a problem as I have been sent a 34-page scanned document as a pdf file (Adobe Reader version 9.2)...all I can do is open the file and see it on my computer screen but the "system" says "cannot print document" and "pages not selected". I have tried everything and would appreciate any help about how to print this file. I cannot even minimise the file so I can have it on my screen at the same time as opening a Word document in which to type the translat
... See more
Hello and good evening!

I have a problem as I have been sent a 34-page scanned document as a pdf file (Adobe Reader version 9.2)...all I can do is open the file and see it on my computer screen but the "system" says "cannot print document" and "pages not selected". I have tried everything and would appreciate any help about how to print this file. I cannot even minimise the file so I can have it on my screen at the same time as opening a Word document in which to type the translation.

I hope I have made myself clear.

Thank you for any help or advice.

Liz Askew
Collapse

Susana Valdez
Susana Valdez  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Google Docs Mar 19, 2010

Hi Liz,

Have you tried open it with Google Docs? You can also print directly from this app.

liz askew
United Kingdom
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What is google docs Mar 19, 2010

Hello there Susana

not sure what you mean by this - can you give me a reference?

Thank you!

Liz

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:41
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Enable print as image Mar 19, 2010

Hi Liz,
A couple of different things you could try (if you haven't already):

1. Try "save as" and rename it. This forces Adobe to rewrite the file.
2. If not, try going to print>advanced>print as image

Hope one of them helps.

Igor Popov
Igor Popov
Russian Federation
Local time: 10:41
English to Russian
+ ...
your pdf print problem Mar 19, 2010

Hi, Liz
In addition to what has been already advised:
If your other pdf files are printed out correctly, then
1) This pdf file is probably protected by the password. Ask the guys who sent the file to you.
or
2) The source file was incorrectly scanned; thus the file you were sent is corrupt.

liz askew
United Kingdom
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Igor - I think you are right Mar 20, 2010

Hello Igor

I have tried everything (so has my husband) and I think you are right, there could well be a password.

Have e-mailed the client about my predicament.

Thank you to everybody for their help here!

Igor Popov
Igor Popov
Russian Federation
Local time: 10:41
English to Russian
+ ...
Hello, Liz Mar 20, 2010

Glad to have been of some help.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:41
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
If they don't have the password... Mar 20, 2010

Amazingly, most of my clients, upon being asked about a password on a PDF didn't know there was one. If that's your case, try this:
http://www.ensode.net/pdf-crack.jsf
The trick is down below there, at the end of the page.

If you have a NDA with this client, better advise them what you'll have to do (since they can't give you the password), just to make sure they know. After a
... See more
Amazingly, most of my clients, upon being asked about a password on a PDF didn't know there was one. If that's your case, try this:
http://www.ensode.net/pdf-crack.jsf
The trick is down below there, at the end of the page.

If you have a NDA with this client, better advise them what you'll have to do (since they can't give you the password), just to make sure they know. After all, you'll be sending the file to some unknown place, though I don't think they scavenge those PDFs searching for anything useful or valuable there.

Translators must have a bag of cracking tricks. The local subsidiary of one of the largest car manufacturers sent me their institutiional video to subtitle. The only copy they had here was the standard worldwide distribution disk... copy-protected with Macrovision! In VHS, this meant trouble and expense; on a DVD, it's just one more click on a checkbox.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error message received when trying to print a .pdf file - help needed

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »