Off topic: Worst Movie Title Translations
Thread poster: LingoTrust
LingoTrust
LingoTrust
Local time: 19:15
Jul 17, 2012

This thread is part of the Translator playground: a place for translators to have fun, to network, to learn, and to hone their translation or linguistic skills. See the announcement here.

Need a quick break from work? In this forum translators and language professionals can share quotes about translation, tongue twisters and word plays, translation challenges, etc.

All are welcome to participate and to add new items to this and the other areas of the Translator playground; have fun with it! If you need help or would like to propose an addition to the Translator playground, contact site staff through the online support system.

Some of these are really funny. I wonder if they really are so crazy or if due to context they actually are somewhat accurate translations.

http://redd.it/vmvtu

[Edited at 2012-07-18 13:08 GMT]

Raffaella Berry
Raffaella Berry  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:15
English to Italian
+ ...
a few funny ones from Italy Aug 18, 2012

Italy has a history of "creative" translations of movie titles, though things have somewhat improved over the past few years. A recent one that was probably meant to be funny, but just didn't make a lot of sense, was "Runaway Bride" (the 1999 romantic comedy starring Julia Roberts) translated into "Se scappi ti sposo" (If you run away, I'll marry you). However, this is nothing if compared to "The Outlaw" (starring Jane Russell), which became " Il mio corpo ti scaldera'" (My body will warm you), ... See more
Italy has a history of "creative" translations of movie titles, though things have somewhat improved over the past few years. A recent one that was probably meant to be funny, but just didn't make a lot of sense, was "Runaway Bride" (the 1999 romantic comedy starring Julia Roberts) translated into "Se scappi ti sposo" (If you run away, I'll marry you). However, this is nothing if compared to "The Outlaw" (starring Jane Russell), which became " Il mio corpo ti scaldera'" (My body will warm you), or "River of No Return" (starring Marilyn Monroe), which became "La magnifica preda" (The magnificent prey).Collapse

Faustine.Rou (X)
Faustine.Rou (X)
Local time: 00:15
English to French
Matrix ? Aug 18, 2012

Where did they see that Matrix was called ‘The Young People Who Traverse Dimensions While Wearing Sunglasses’ ? The whole trilogy was kept in English...

So I doubt about the truthfulness of the other examples given on the site.

Oksana Weiss
Oksana Weiss  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:15
Member (2011)
German to English
+ ...
Well, it happens sometimes Aug 19, 2012

Faustine Roux wrote:
So I doubt about the truthfulness of the other examples given on the site.

In USSR the popular comedy "Some Like It Hot" was translated as "There Are Only Girls in Jazz". It probably would not be allowed by censors, if the translation were accurate:)

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Other examples from Italy (bad and good) Aug 20, 2012

The bittersweet Truffaut movie Domicile conjugal - Bed & Board - was awfully translated into Italian as Non drammatizziamo... è solo questione di corna, which in English could more or less sound like Let's not make a big deal out of this... it's only cuckolding.

On the other hand, the rather uninspired title Stagecoach, by John Ford, became in Italian the quite captivating Ombre rosse, or Red Shadows.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Inadequate translation Aug 20, 2012

Billy Wilder's "The Seven-Year Itch" in Italian became " Quando la moglie è in vacanza". Not exactly the same thing, is it? Stripped of all its connotations.

On the other hand, in the far-off 1970s RAI screened a Billy Wilder series curated by Carlo Lizzani, for which he coined the marvellous title "Billy Wilder: un guastafeste nella fabbrica dei sogni" ("Billy Wilder: a spoilsport in the Dream Factory")

And what about Roman Polanski's hilarious 1967 horror spoof "The
... See more
Billy Wilder's "The Seven-Year Itch" in Italian became " Quando la moglie è in vacanza". Not exactly the same thing, is it? Stripped of all its connotations.

On the other hand, in the far-off 1970s RAI screened a Billy Wilder series curated by Carlo Lizzani, for which he coined the marvellous title "Billy Wilder: un guastafeste nella fabbrica dei sogni" ("Billy Wilder: a spoilsport in the Dream Factory")

And what about Roman Polanski's hilarious 1967 horror spoof "The Fearless Vampire Killers" which was rendered into Italian as "Per favore non mordermi sul collo" (quite a funny title, actually: "Please don't bite me on the neck").

[Edited at 2012-08-20 10:35 GMT]
Collapse

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)
Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Movie titles aren't translated. Aug 20, 2012

Well, sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't. A title that works in English will look and sound awkward in many other languages. The local title of a movie is determined by the distributor, and translation is only one option.

Francisco Vare
Francisco Vare
Poland
Polish to Spanish
+ ...
Dirty Dancing Sep 18, 2012

Hi there!

My favourite crazy translation of all times is the name they gave here in Poland to Dirty Dancing. The film was commercialized as Wirujący Seks, which translates to Swirling Sex... Gotta love it!

http://film.wp.pl/id,1831,rid,48282,title,WIRUJACY-SEX,type,internaut,film_recenzja.html?ticaid=1f30b

Elena Luchyna
Elena Luchyna  Identity Verified
Portuguese to Russian
+ ...
Portuguese translations Oct 29, 2012

I often wonder where does the portuguese tradition to translate the movies' titles in the most explicit way possible come from.
For example, the Austrian series called Kommissar Rex in German and Inspector Rex in English appears as Rex, O Cão Polícia (Rex, the Police Dog). Must be because they think people can get confused. Or police officers can take offence in this particular case.

Sitiens (X)
Sitiens (X)
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
From Sweden Nov 8, 2012

English: Teaching Mrs. Tingle
Swedish: Killing Mrs. Tingle

I would have loved to be a fly on the wall when they decided on this.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Worst Movie Title Translations

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »