Thread poster: freezone (X)
Anna A. K.
Anna A. K.  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:45
Member (2020)
English to German
Mental health Apr 6, 2022

What tips my mental health over the edge are actually grown-up people who put their lives on hold for 2 years because they are afraid of a "cold".

Gerard Barry

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Anna Apr 6, 2022

Anna1307 wrote:

What tips my mental health over the edge are actually grown-up people who put their lives on hold for 2 years because they are afraid of a "cold".

A cold that killed my best friend.

Angie Garbarino
Joe France
P.L.F. Persio
Matthias Brombach
TonyTK
Wiebke Herbig
expressisverbis

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Empty post.
Gerard Barry
Gerard Barry
Germany
German to English
. Apr 6, 2022

Angie Garbarino wrote:

Anna1307 wrote:

Germany had ......the strictest rules in the world.

Wrong, sorry, only in Italy vaccination for over 50 is mandatory, under penalty of being fired (any job) plus a 100 euros direct fine.

I will not discuss pro or against vaccination, but information must be correct.

[Edited at 2022-04-05 19:09 GMT]

Which countries had the strictest rules varied from time to time over the "pandemic". In recent months, Germany was up there with the worst of them because of 2G, 3G, etc. If you google "covid stringency index" you should be able to see for yourself.

Anna A. K.

Gerard Barry
Gerard Barry
Germany
German to English
. Apr 6, 2022

Anna1307 wrote:

And worse still: they expect everyone else to do the same.

Anna A. K.

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
And Apr 6, 2022

Ice Scream wrote:

5 friends of mine, a relative, my cousin in the 1st wave and in the second wave my son was infected and surely was not a cold, fever reached 41.

[Edited at 2022-04-06 14:28 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio
Matthias Brombach
Christopher Schröder
TonyTK
Wiebke Herbig
expressisverbis
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Leave them alone .... Apr 6, 2022

Anna1307 wrote:

and

"Gerard Barry" wrote:

Let them have the last word. If they want to fish for clients here this way, they'll have to take the consequences, and of course, others will then again to be to blame for it, as always. I always thought that translators have a kind of reasonable approach to the world, you know, because of an international, multicultural and broader view on the world. Yes, true translators still do. At least the vast majority here does.

[Bearbeitet am 2022-04-06 19:49 GMT]

[Bearbeitet am 2022-04-06 19:54 GMT]

Jan Truper
Angie Garbarino
P.L.F. Persio
polishedwords
Christopher Schröder

Anna A. K.
Germany
Member (2020)
English to German
@Ice Scream Apr 7, 2022

Ice Scream wrote:

Anna1307 wrote:

I am sorry for your loss.

But please also remember that ten thousands of people die every year from the flu and worse infectious and non-infectuous deseases. There are a million viruses out there, some of them much deadlier than COVID, but we chose ONE to revolve our lives around. Shall we all live in the basement, because of the fact that all human life can come to an end at some point? Do you really think that is a great idea?

Where is this longing for non-independence, paternalism and renunciation coming from? Where is this desire to place responsibility in other hands, even for one's own body, coming from? How can people become so fearful that they give up everything? We seem to live in a time in which dying has been declared forbidden by the government.

I have never been sick in this "pandemic", the only problem I had was dealing with the day-to-day hostility and harassment of the Covid-fanatics as well as exclusion from society as unvaccinated.

Gerard Barry
Daryo

TonyTK
TonyTK
German to English
+ ...
(For context) Apr 7, 2022

Anna1307 wrote:

I have never been sick in this "pandemic", the only problem I had was dealing with the day-to-day hostility and harassment of the Covid-fanatics as well as exclusion from society as unvaccinated.

Anna, you might have noticed that members of four of the six parties in the German parliament are speaking out against mandatory vaccination as I write this.

(Edited to delete sarcastic comment)

[Bearbeitet am 2022-04-07 10:58 GMT]

Anna A. K.
Germany
Member (2020)
English to German
Exactly Apr 7, 2022

Matthias Brombach wrote:

I always thought that translators have a kind of reasonable approach to the world, you know, because of an international, multicultural and broader view on the world.

Exactly, that's why we use critical thinking and common sense instead of blindly and unconsciously following the herd. Thanks for pointing that out

I simply value freedom, dignity, and human rights over slavery, my bad I guess.

Gerard Barry
Daryo

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Rocio Palacios (X)
Rocio Palacios (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 20:45
Locking thread Apr 7, 2022

Dear all,

Thank you for your participation.

This thread has gone off-topic, and there are currently more than ten (10) posts removed, so I am locking the thread.

Please keep in mind that site users are expected to treat each other with courtesy, and are advised to act under the assumption of good faith. Harassment of, or attacks or ad hominem statements on, individuals or groups, of any form, as well as discouragement of another's use of the site, will not
... See more
Dear all,

Thank you for your participation.

This thread has gone off-topic, and there are currently more than ten (10) posts removed, so I am locking the thread.

Please keep in mind that site users are expected to treat each other with courtesy, and are advised to act under the assumption of good faith. Harassment of, or attacks or ad hominem statements on, individuals or groups, of any form, as well as discouragement of another's use of the site, will not be tolerated.

When participating in the forums, please also keep in mind the ProZ.com's scope definition: https://www.proz.com/scope

In accordance with ProZ.com #8, https://www.proz.com/siterules/general/8#8 , discussion regarding rules enforcement or administrative actions taken by moderators or site staff should be carried out solely via the site's online support system.

When a topic has been locked, the discussion may not be resumed. Discussions contained in threads locked or hidden by ProZ.com staff members or moderators should not be resumed. Posts made within such threads may not be edited once a topic has been locked.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Rocio Palacios
ProZ.com Team
Collapse

Anna A. K.
Gerard Barry

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Impact of COVID 19 Pandemic to you

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »