What CafeTran Espresso *can* do
Thread poster: Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Oct 11, 2021

In a different forum, a translator is looking for a CAT tool that runs on Mac and offers:

- Show locked segments in a different color—add a color option for locked segments to WF prefs

Supported

- Select multiple terms in the Glossary list for deletion

Supported (by editing the glossary directly)

- Edit TMs without having to create a new project

Supported

- Disclose the character counting rules used for Japanese

Don't know ...

- Improve auto-suggestion for inputting terms when cursor is placed before other characters

Don't understand this one

- Expand the ribbon items automatically when the ribbon menus are clicked

Not supported

- Provide actual menus and commands relevant to the app in the macOS menubar

Supported

- Access the standard macOS symbol and character picker when editing a segment

Supported, via the macOS menu bar

- Do not automatically change the case of terms inputted via auto-suggest

Of course not

- Skip URLs during spellcheck

Supported

- Include notes as Word comments for DOCX files, without the need to output a separate report

Supported

- Offer the app as an actual native macOS app, not a packaged app that needs to run through middleware like Java

Nope

... release biweekly fixes and upgrades that are meaningful to most users

Used to be biweekly. Now more or less bimonthly. Fast respond to users' requests.

And here's an example picture of CafeTran Espresso's GUI. Note that all panes can be made floating and arranged at your preferred location, on the primary or secondary monitor.

Screenshot 2021-10-11 at 08.09.56

Tom in London

Jeff Chapman
Jeff Chapman  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 08:25
Japanese to English
+ ...
Thanks for covering these matters Oct 13, 2021

I appreciated how you talked about what CafeTrans can do, from the perspective of our "other" discussion

The fact that CafeTran allows more flexibility with the panes and the UI seems really useful. I will look at this more closely.

Hans Lenting

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Ask the developer Oct 13, 2021

Glad to be of help

Regarding the counting algorithm for Japanese characters: I'm quite sure that the developer will reply to any questions you have in this regard. You can ask him here in this forum or here:

https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/discussions/forums/6000132966... See more
Glad to be of help

Regarding the counting algorithm for Japanese characters: I'm quite sure that the developer will reply to any questions you have in this regard. You can ask him here in this forum or here:

https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/discussions/forums/6000132966

BTW: The developer of this app is very responsive and a translator himself. Also, there are some experienced translators Japanese – English and English – Japanese actively participating in the Freshdesk.
Collapse

Tom in London

Jeff Chapman
Jeff Chapman  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 08:25
Japanese to English
+ ...
Developer responsiveness Oct 13, 2021

German Dutch Engineering Translation wrote:

Regarding the counting algorithm for Japanese characters: I'm quite sure that the developer will reply to any questions you have in this regard.

Yes, as far as Wordfast Pro goes, they completely ignored my request to know about the counting algorithm when I asked, maybe two or three years ago. Haven't heard from them since about that. They improved the CJK language character counting algorithm a few years back, but it's still, well... off. I've been meaning to experiment on my own with different sample texts to try and figure out how it works, but so far that hasn't been a good use of my time, so I've let it slide, knowing that Wordfast may well consider their algorithm to be a trade secret...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What CafeTran Espresso *can* do

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »