Moving CafeTran licensed as "One-Time Purchase" to another PC after 3 years
Thread poster: Artem Vakhitov
Artem Vakhitov
Artem Vakhitov  Identity Verified
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
Oct 8, 2021

There's fine print on the website regarding the One-Time Purchase licensing option that reads: "At the end of the three-year period, any support or upgrades — including the support necessary to reinstall or move your copy of CafeTran Espresso to a new computer — would require that you obtain a new license."
(https://www.cafetran.com/get-cafetran/)

This sounds a bit va
... See more
There's fine print on the website regarding the One-Time Purchase licensing option that reads: "At the end of the three-year period, any support or upgrades — including the support necessary to reinstall or move your copy of CafeTran Espresso to a new computer — would require that you obtain a new license."

This sounds a bit vague to me. After three years, can you reinstall CafeTran to another PC (just in case, pretend that a 2nd license file has already been generated) without using support? Or is reinstallation in this case impossible without contacting support and thus purchasing another license?

[Edited at 2021-10-08 17:06 GMT]
Collapse

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
System ID Oct 8, 2021

This is more a question for the developer, but if it is a different hard drive or drive location, the system ID (found in Help>About) changes, which means you would need to contact support to ask for a licence for that system ID.

In effect, I think you can continue using a one time purchase past the three years period as long as you don't install new updates and are not changing hardware (I think restoring to same file location and hard drive does not change the ID, though).
<
... See more
This is more a question for the developer, but if it is a different hard drive or drive location, the system ID (found in Help>About) changes, which means you would need to contact support to ask for a licence for that system ID.

In effect, I think you can continue using a one time purchase past the three years period as long as you don't install new updates and are not changing hardware (I think restoring to same file location and hard drive does not change the ID, though).

This can bring further down the overall cost of ownership, compared to a yearly license (80 € vs 200 €), which you may also combine with a ProZ Group Buy discounted offer.

66 € or less per year for a professional CAT tool is a pretty neat deal if you ask me, given what you get: plenty of bang for your buck.

[Edited at 2021-10-08 19:49 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:37
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Good catch! Oct 8, 2021

Artem Vakhitov wrote:

A-ha! So the €200 license is not a perpetual license. It is merely a discounted 3-year license, and there are no built-in features to stop it from working after 3 years (which means that you *may* be able to use it for longer than 3 years).

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Perpetual Oct 9, 2021

Perpetual in the sense there is no time limit. It does not expire (or like in 100 years).

But the actual implementation is a bit cumbersome and limiting in that regard, especially when compared to the ProZ login method.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Moving CafeTran licensed as "One-Time Purchase" to another PC after 3 years

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »