Is MS Word spellchecker available in CafeTran?
Thread poster: Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 19:03
English to Russian
Aug 24, 2021

Hi folks,
Could you please help me figure out how can I enable MS Word spellchecker to check my translation as I type. Before asking here, I tried to google it but I could only find instructions to enable Hunspell dictionaries. Is it also possible to enable MS Word spellchecker?
Thanks.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Not yet Aug 24, 2021

Stepan Konev wrote:

Is it also possible to enable MS Word spellchecker?

It's not possible.

As a 'workaround' you could create a bilingual review table.

BTW, Stepan, is the quality and/or size of the MS Word dictionary for (I guess) Russian far better than that of the Hunspell dictionary?

See also: https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/discussions/topics/6000064291

[Edited at 2021-08-24 14:18 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Got it. Thank you Aug 24, 2021

German Dutch Engineering Translation wrote:
As a 'workaround' you could create a bilingual review table.
Ok. Thanks!

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Follow up Aug 24, 2021

I have edited my reply.

Stepan Konev

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Not 'far better' but habitual Aug 24, 2021

BTW, Stepan, is the quality and/or size of the MS Word dictionary for (I guess) Russian far better than that of the Hunspell dictionary?
I can't say which one is better now, but several years ago, when I used it with memoQ, Hunspell skipped some misspelled words and I had to double check each file with MS Word. Now I am going to use CafeTran as often as possible to get to know it better, so maybe I change my opinion about Hunspell.
Also, with MS Word I can enable a specific setting that enforces strict use of the Russian letter 'ё' when I need it, and disable when I don't. Hunspell always enforces strict use of 'ё' and I have no idea how to prevent this behavior. A common practice in the Russian language is to replace letter 'ё' with letter 'e', which means that Hunspell often presents unwanted behavior. On the other hand, this feature is still needed from time to time. Only 1 job out of 10 requires that I strictly use 'ё'. But 1 is not zero. In this regard, I prefer MS Word spell checker.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Ë Aug 25, 2021

I have read about the history and use of the seventh letter of the Russian alphabet and I’m wondering whether there aren’t separate Hunspell dictionaries for school use (where the ‘ë’ is enforced). If not, you could compile your own (main) dictionary or at least modify the rules file. Or you could use one or more QA checks. E.g. QA Glossary Consistency. Or the QA for forbidden words.

Stepan Konev

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Yo Aug 25, 2021

Enforce strict use of ‘ë’ with Hunspell:

https://tinyurl.com/2zv9fwpp

[Edited at 2021-08-25 05:10 GMT]

Stepan Konev

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Just choose the right dictionary Aug 25, 2021

Stepan Konev wrote:

Hunspell always enforces strict use of 'ё'

For Hunspell, you can find dictionaries using е, using ё or mixed (you can even find a Russian pre-1917 dictionary, but this is of little relevance for translation), just get what you need and change as necessary (for example, using a shell script). You might want to check LibreOffice or Apache OpenOffice extension sites.

Stepan Konev

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
A small tip Aug 25, 2021

If you install a spellchecker for your source language (variants) as well, I think these are used for looking up word stems, like plural marks (if this setting is enabled, in Edit>Preferences>Glossary>Look up word stems) when matching against glossary entries.

Stepan Konev

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
KM Aug 25, 2021

esperantisto wrote:

change as necessary (for example, using a shell script).

On a Mac, you could also use Keyboard Maestro macro to do this:

https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/discussions/topics/6000064393

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
That's why I prefer MS Word :D Aug 25, 2021

Thanks folks for all the tips and workarounds. I will try them all. However, with MS Word spell checker, it is a matter of one checkbox. That is why I prefer it.
Thank you everyone!

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Let's see Aug 26, 2021

Stepan Konev wrote:

with MS Word spell checker, it is a matter of one checkbox. That is why I prefer it.

Let's see whether the developer sees the necessity of an extra checkbox:

https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/discussions/topics/6000064399

Stepan Konev

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Aug 26, 2021

Let's see whether the developer sees the necessity of an extra checkbox
Thank you for posting the idea. However, I think I can live without it. So far I struggle with some discomfort about the CafeTran learning curve, but I understand that it is imminent when you learn new things. On the other hand, I noticed CafeTran suggests words that I typed recently in a smarter way as compared to the other CAT tools. I like it and I'm pretty sure I will make friends with CafeTran, even with Hunspell alone.

[Edited at 2021-08-26 20:56 GMT]

Hans Lenting

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Prompter Aug 27, 2021

Stepan Konev wrote:

I noticed CafeTran suggests words that I typed recently in a smarter way as compared to the other CAT tools.

Yes, CafeTran Espresso's Prompter (auto-completion/auto-suggestion) is fed by more resources than in other CAT tools. It's indeed a great typing aid.

Screenshot 2021-08-27 at 09.23.43

Stepan Konev

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is MS Word spellchecker available in CafeTran?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »