Automatic copying of already translated segments to target
Thread poster: Philip Lees
Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 23:18
Greek to English
Aug 1, 2021

I'm hoping one of the CafeTran mavens here can help me with this.

I have a client who sends me texts that are written mostly in English, but interspersed with sections in Greek that need translating. The Greek parts may be whole paragraphs, complete sentences, or just parts of sentences, with the rest in English.

Is there any way in CafeTran Espresso for me to have the software automatically copy across the segments that consist entirely of English, so I only need to tr
... See more
I'm hoping one of the CafeTran mavens here can help me with this.

I have a client who sends me texts that are written mostly in English, but interspersed with sections in Greek that need translating. The Greek parts may be whole paragraphs, complete sentences, or just parts of sentences, with the rest in English.

Is there any way in CafeTran Espresso for me to have the software automatically copy across the segments that consist entirely of English, so I only need to translate the segments that contain Greek? This would save me a lot of key presses.

I know enough about programming to construct a regular expression that will define the segments I want copied, if that is necessary. Basically, I want to automatically copy anything that doesn't contain any Greek characters (I can deal with the occasional false negative for things like π, ρ, Σ or μg).

Thanks for any assistance. Currently using CafeTran Espresso 10.8.1 Cornetto.
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Greek Aug 1, 2021

Stepan Konev

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 23:18
Greek to English
TOPIC STARTER
Very helpful, thank you Aug 1, 2021

Many thanks.

In fact, just the first action will be enough. I hadn't realised that the particular menu option would transfer ALL the source segments to the target. I was looking for a way to select particular segments prior to that, but this is fine.

The information about using regular expressions to select segments could come in useful in the future, though.

Stepan Konev

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Automatic copying of already translated segments to target

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »