ibz  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:19
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Jul 5, 2021

Dear colleagues,

Here's my problem (or rather my wish list):

After having translated a document with Cafetran, I sometimes prefer the use the preview document to refine / edit my translation. This is just my working method - I tend to grasp a text better if I can see it in its layout (not the way most people work, I know, but there you are ...)

What I am looking for is a way to highlight (color?) all locked segments so that I can easily ignore them and don
... See more
Dear colleagues,

Here's my problem (or rather my wish list):

After having translated a document with Cafetran, I sometimes prefer the use the preview document to refine / edit my translation. This is just my working method - I tend to grasp a text better if I can see it in its layout (not the way most people work, I know, but there you are ...)

What I am looking for is a way to highlight (color?) all locked segments so that I can easily ignore them and don't modify them. Any ideas how I could achieve this? I'm working on Mac ...

Thanks for your ideas,
Irene
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Workaround Jul 5, 2021

ibz wrote:

What I am looking for is a way to highlight (color?) all locked segments so that I can easily ignore them and don't modify them. Any ideas how I could achieve this? I'm working on Mac ...

Locked segments in Studio projects?

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No Jul 5, 2021

Hi Hans,
No, locked segments in Cafetran. Once I create the preview, I can no longer see which segments I have locked. It would be very nice to be able to mark / color them in some way so that I know straight away that these sentences mustn't be edited. Know what I mean?

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Procedure Jul 5, 2021

Locked segments in CafeTran Espresso:

a

Insert { at start of unlocked segments:

b

Insert } at end of unlocked segments:

c

Export preview document:

In MS Word, highlight all text with yellow, afterwards set highlight colour to white:

Find and replace with wild cards and white highlight:

Result:

Edit: I used an incorrect document. Here's how the exported document should look:

Screen Shot 2021-07-05 at 20.39.56

With locked segments highlighted in yellow:

Screen Shot 2021-07-05 at 20.40.48

[Edited at 2021-07-05 18:42 GMT]

Jean Dimitriadis

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jul 6, 2021

Many thanks, Hans!
I tried this workaround but it doesn't work...
Somehow I couldn't even replace \A with {. Furthermore I work with Mac and Word Office, not MS Word. So my "Find and Replace" pop-up looks different.

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Oh ... Jul 6, 2021

I just saw that by replacing \A by {, the brackets are inserted before all untranslated segments (I used a new document to test your solution, with just a few translated segments, locked and not locked).

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Please try again Jul 6, 2021

ibz wrote:

Many thanks, Hans!
I tried this workaround but it doesn't work...

It does work. I've tested it. You made some mistakes. Did you select the Regular expression radio button?

Somehow I couldn't even replace \A with {. Furthermore I work with Mac and Word Office, not MS Word. So my "Find and Replace" pop-up looks different.

As you can see in the images, I'm on Mac too. I'm using the Mac version of Word:

Screenshot 2021-07-06 at 08.50.27

So you should be good. We can arrange a TeamViewer session, if you want. You can contact me via e-mail for the details. You have my address.

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Will do! Jul 6, 2021

Thanks again! I'll try again and let you know.
Also thanks for your offer to help my via TeamViewer. If necessary, I'll contact you privately (next week at the earliest, as I am currently working from outside the office and using TeamViewer myself to access my computer).
Irene

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Works like a charm Jul 7, 2021

Just in case someone else is also interested in this function: The solution Hans proposed works like a charm! Thanks again.

Hans Lenting
Jean Dimitriadis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mark locked segments in the preview document

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »