ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:06
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Jul 1, 2021

Hi all,

I already posted a message yesterday (Problems using Cafetran with vnc), but it seems that this problem has nothing to do with VNC. Someone checked it out on my office computer and the problem occurs there as well (not always, but pretty often):

Cafetran as such works fine, but the program gets blocked (I can't edit target segments) when I switch between applications (e.g. Acrobat or use the browser). Does anyone have any idea why this happens and how I can fix
... See more
Hi all,

I already posted a message yesterday (Problems using Cafetran with vnc), but it seems that this problem has nothing to do with VNC. Someone checked it out on my office computer and the problem occurs there as well (not always, but pretty often):

Cafetran as such works fine, but the program gets blocked (I can't edit target segments) when I switch between applications (e.g. Acrobat or use the browser). Does anyone have any idea why this happens and how I can fix this problem?

Thank you for your help and best regards,
Irene
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Focus Jul 1, 2021

ibz wrote:

Cafetran as such works fine, but the program gets blocked (I can't edit target segments) when I switch between applications (e.g. Acrobat or use the browser).

Can you click in the target segment editor? Does the text cursor blink there?

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No Jul 1, 2021

No, not blinking cursor ...

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Or ... Jul 1, 2021

Could it be that the programme is just being very slow? I just realized that if I wait a little, it sometimes works again, but not always ...

[Edited at 2021-07-01 09:37 GMT]

Igor Kmitowski
Igor Kmitowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2016)
English to Polish
+ ...
Increase Java memory Jul 1, 2021

If you run other applications together with CafeTran, you might try to increase Java memory for the program as described here: https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/a/solutions/articles/6000160241

If you use a huge translation memory with the slower/older processor, the initial Pretranslation might slow the program down - see its progress bar at the bottom of the inter
... See more
If you run other applications together with CafeTran, you might try to increase Java memory for the program as described here: https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/a/solutions/articles/6000160241

If you use a huge translation memory with the slower/older processor, the initial Pretranslation might slow the program down - see its progress bar at the bottom of the interface. When it completes, the editing should be smooth as before.
Collapse

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Oh ... Jul 1, 2021

Can it be that the programme is just being very slow? I just realized that if I wait a little, it works again. But if so: Could this still have to do something with working via VNC? I never had this problem before ...

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Igor Jul 1, 2021

I've increased Java memory and Cafetran does run faster, but my problem was not solved. As it seems, there is a problem with the cursor when switching applications and this is actually linked to VNC. I'm now working with TeamViewer and the problem is solved. The mysteries of IT...
Thanks again, Hans and Igor, for your help!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Not able to edit segments

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »