Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Difficult decision Sep 22, 2021

ibz wrote:

Sounds great!
As to your question: I'll most probably buy the latest 27-inch iMac as I really need the big screen.

That's a tough decision, since the 27" iMac isn't available with the M1 (or M1X) yet:

While we could see a new larger iMac in the autumn of 2021 - perhaps in October - we think it's more likely to arrive in March or April 2022.

If you have to replace your iMac now, you could consider to go for a Mac Mini with one of the terrific hi-res screens that are available from other manufacturers.

Do you have to run Windows programs (a lot)?

Though Parallels supports a Windows version that runs on M1, Microsoft hasn't made a decision about whether they will license this ...

That's why VMware hasn't launched an M1 compatible version of Fusion, yet.

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:53
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Buying decision Sep 22, 2021

I don't have to decide right now but as both of my current iMacs are quite old, I'm getting kind of nervous
So I wanted to get prepared.
I didn't think about getting a Mac mini yet - thanks for the suggestion! Then I would have to think about a suitable monitor ...
I don't have to run Window program (replaced Trados by Cafetran).

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:53
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Not so difficult decision Sep 22, 2021

German Dutch Engineering Translation wrote:

ibz wrote:

Sounds great!
As to your question: I'll most probably buy the latest 27-inch iMac as I really need the big screen.

That's a tough decision, since the 27" iMac isn't available with the M1 (or M1X) yet:

While we could see a new larger iMac in the autumn of 2021 - perhaps in October - we think it's more likely to arrive in March or April 2022.

If you have to replace your iMac now, you could consider to go for a Mac Mini with one of the terrific hi-res screens that are available from other manufacturers.

Do you have to run Windows programs (a lot)?

Though Parallels supports a Windows version that runs on M1, Microsoft hasn't made a decision about whether they will license this ...

That's why VMware hasn't launched an M1 compatible version of Fusion, yet.

I got myself a new 27" Intel-iMac to replace the 2015 one. I don't regret my decision as I have to be up and running with all my software, especially recording software, and I cannot afford to wait for them developers to fulfill my needs.

[Edited at 2021-09-22 13:08 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Best (curved) monitors for Mac Mini M1 Sep 24, 2021

German Dutch Engineering Translation wrote:

See: https://www.techietech.tech/best-monitors-for-m1-mac-mini/

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CafeTran Espresso 10 runs on macOS Catalina

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »