Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Local time: 10:24
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Service Apr 25, 2023

Kay Denney wrote:
I don't know about the texts you translate, but for me, fact-checking is part of the service I offer.

And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. I will, of course, point out and correct obvious (the word 'obvious' is very important) mistakes I come across.

But what you offer is an extra service. There are several translation agencies who offer this type of job to translators : reading the source and pointing out all possible mistakes/problems/traps for the eventual translator.

I'm not interested in that kind of work, so I always decline it. I'm translating for over 2 decades now and not once I've had some sort of feedback stating that I should enhance the source text first. And that seems perfectly normal to me, to be honest.

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
ChatGPT does QA itself now... LOL Apr 25, 2023

There is a MT comparison tool based on ChatGPT-4 AI where you can compare MT output from various tools like Google, DeepL etc.
You get a quality evaluation of the output as well as a reccomendation on the best tool to be used.
https://www.machinetranslation.com/

I just entered a simple EN sentence to be transtlated into DE. MT output from all tools was correct, while t
... See more
There is a MT comparison tool based on ChatGPT-4 AI where you can compare MT output from various tools like Google, DeepL etc.
You get a quality evaluation of the output as well as a reccomendation on the best tool to be used.

I just entered a simple EN sentence to be transtlated into DE. MT output from all tools was correct, while the AI translation analysis was completely wrong.

This was the sentence
"Thank you for your cooperation and support. We hope you enjoy our innovative tool and we look forward to hearing from you soon."

and this was the delirious assessment:

The machine translation outputs above from English to German have some errors.
Google Translate: The translation is mostly accurate, but there are some errors in grammar and word choice. For example, "hearing from you soon" is translated as "bald von Ihnen zu hören," which is correct, but "enjoy our innovative tool" is translated as "unser innovatives Tool gefällt," which is not grammatically correct.
DeepL: The translation is mostly accurate, but there are some errors in word choice. For example, "enjoy our innovative tool" is translated as "unser innovatives Tool gefällt," which means "our innovative tool pleases," but it would be more appropriate to use "viel Spaß mit unserem innovativen Tool haben" which means "have a lot of fun with our innovative tool."
Amazon Translate: The translation is mostly accurate, but there are some errors in word choice. For example, "enjoy our innovative tool" is translated as "viel Spaß mit unserem innovativen Tool haben," which is correct, but "hearing from you soon" is translated as "bald von Ihnen zu hören," which is not grammatically correct.
ModernMT: The translation is mostly accurate

So the new job description will be "ChatGPT/Bard Quality Assurance Evaluation".
Collapse

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Apr 25, 2023

Lieven Malaise wrote:

the source is the only document that counts. If it's full of factual mistakes, then that is my client's responsibility, not mine. My only job is to make sure the source and the translation match.

I disagree with you here. People will read my translation precisely because they can't read the source document. So if there's a stupid mistake in there, they will complain to the client that my text is wrong. Then the client will blame me.

Of course I can then point out that the mistake originated in the client's source text. Surely it's much simpler and kinder and even more professional to check and correct it while translating, and point it out to the client so they can also correct the source text?

My clients have often joked that they should have me translate texts just to make sure the source is correct. I love it, because it shows that they know they can trust me and that's why they come back again and again.

Jean Dimitriadis
Jocelyne Cuenin

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
I think ... Apr 25, 2023

Kay Denney wrote:
Of course I can then point out that the mistake originated in the client's source text. Surely it's much simpler and kinder and even more professional to check and correct it while translating, and point it out to the client so they can also correct the source text?

... most translators will do that, but they will do that while translating and 'by coincidence', not as a principle that has to be adhered by at any time. I will give you an example for, let's say, a technical manual. If the source says 'the green light will go out' and it appears to be that it is actually an orange light, then there is no way this would and should be the responsibility of the translator. If it's obvious from the text that it should be an orange light, then I will correct it myself but if there is even a shred of a doubt I will not touch it.

Kay Denney wrote:My clients have often joked that they should have me translate texts just to make sure the source is correct. I love it, because it shows that they know they can trust me and that's why they come back again and again.

Good for you, but that's your choice and yours only. I imagine it can work as a unique selling point, provided you charge extra for it or your rate is high enough to compensate for the time spent.

But I have never known this should be an important part of a translator's job, not in my years in college, not in my years as an inhouse translator and not in my many more years as a freelancer.

Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
Local time: 11:24
English to Russian
+ ...
Checked out this site Apr 25, 2023

Zea_Mays wrote:

I, too, fed in a pretty simple sentence (Rus-Eng), and ChatGPT failed to get the main point in it; DeepL didn't, but either one failed to provide a correct translation for the Russian counterpart of "dye penetrant testing" and went for "capillary control." Not surprised. Other engines came up with "capillary inspection." Leaving this term out, Chat was the only one that screwed up the job. I'm not likely to use this site for my work, it's just not convenient with all the copying, pasting, and comparing (I learned about OPUS CAT in another thread, and I now use it with my Trados; that thing is really stupid and doesn't want to learn for some reason, but I use it as a free typing aid to replace Google Translate, which served the same purpose and is currently not working where I am)

[Edited at 2023-04-25 14:11 GMT]

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Embarassing AI translated official website of the Italian tourism department Apr 25, 2023

Take a look a the EN version of the website and tell if it sounds natural.

After the journalist Selvaggia Lucarelli flagged the silly literal DE translations of some places, the DE version of the site was shut down.
But the web does not forget (the page on Camerino which was translated "Garderobe" - not just the name is amusing):
... See more
Take a look a the EN version of the website and tell if it sounds natural.

After the journalist Selvaggia Lucarelli flagged the silly literal DE translations of some places, the DE version of the site was shut down.
But the web does not forget (the page on Camerino which was translated "Garderobe" - not just the name is amusing): https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:k70mcQEnFsEJ:https://www.italia.it/de/marken/garderobe&cd=1&hl=de&ct=clnk&gl=it&client=firefox-b-e

For those who understand Italian, read here: https://www.corriere.it/politica/23_aprile_24/traduzioni-comiche-sito-turismo-tedesco-citta-italiane-camerino-garderobe-aa2eeda0-e2a3-11ed-ab75-b8a1ffdbb100.shtml

here: https://www.salto.bz/de/article/24042023/tutti-gita-garderobe
and here: https://infosannio.com/2023/04/24/open-to-meraviglia-continua-a-stupire-le-grottesche-traduzioni-delle-citta-in-tedesco/

The (it seems, machine) translations where provided by Almawave.com, a company that describes itself as "leading in AI".

It makes you laugh, but when you hear it is part of a 114 million Euro "Tourism Digital Hub" project you'll rather start to cry.

Be “Open to meraviglia”... "come to live italian".

prato

[Bearbeitet am 2023-04-25 19:17 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates for ChatGPT/Bard Quality Assurance

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »