Denyce Seow
Denyce Seow  Identity Verified
Singapore
Local time: 16:53
Member (2004)
Chinese to English
Oct 24, 2022

Hi,

In the last one week or so, I have been bombarded with application emails from translators, almost all for the English Brazilian Portuguese pair. I get about 10-25 emails per day. I have a feeling they got my email address through Proz, because many of them gave their Proz links. Is there anything I can do to stop this? It is getting a bit irritating now.

expressisverbis
Dalia Nour
Niina Lahokoski

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 11:53
English to Russian
Check out this Oct 24, 2022

https://www.proz.com/forum/scams/359470-excessive_applications_from_english_portuguese_translators_anybody_else_"suffering"_from_this.html

Denyce Seow
expressisverbis
Dalia Nour

Denyce Seow
Singapore
Member (2004)
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Oct 24, 2022

Thanks, Stephan! This is so weird, since the emails are only from EnglishBrazilian Portuguese translators (in my case). I guess there's nothing we can do except treat these emails as spams and delete them.

Stepan Konev
expressisverbis
Dalia Nour
Jorge Payan

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 09:53
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Denyce, Oct 24, 2022

I have copied and pasted your thread to the same thread that Stepan indicated.
Try to follow it, who knows if you get some answers for this weird behaviour? It is weird indeed.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Denice Oct 24, 2022

I keep on being flooded with applications (16 this morning) but they have been from all over the world…

Dalia Nour

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:53
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Teresa Oct 24, 2022

Teresa Borges wrote:
I keep on being flooded with applications (16 this morning) but they have been from all over the world…

Maybe it's because you have a Blue Board entry, that your address was captured on some "list of agencies" that is currently being sold.

These translators do have my sympathy, so I tend not to be too hard on them when this happens to me (e.g. I just delete the mail but don't mark it as spam), but sometimes I can understand the frustration if this happens to you a lot. Do you retaliate against the individual translators who send you mails (e.g. do you make an effort to make them suffer consequences)?

(It doesn't happen a lot to me... I had only 2 "applications" in the past week -- one Slovenian and one Arabic.)

[Edited at 2022-10-24 08:44 GMT]

Dalia Nour

Dalia Nour
Dalia Nour  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 11:53
Member (2018)
English to Arabic
+ ...
That's strange! Oct 24, 2022

They suppose to contact translation agencies not translators!
Maybe they are beginners and don't know the right way to market themselves! That's really weird!

expressisverbis
Esther Dodo
Jorge Payan

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Samuel Oct 24, 2022

Retaliate? Oh no. What an idea! At the beginning in 2020 I used to reply to each one saying that we translate exclusively from and into European Portuguese but after a while I just decided to delete those applications without even looking at them. Anyway, I don’t outsource often and I have been working with the same trusted translators for years…

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:53
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
This has been happening to me Oct 24, 2022

Samuel Murray wrote:

Teresa Borges wrote:

Maybe it's because you have a Blue Board entry, that your address was captured on some "list of agencies" that is currently being sold.

These translators do have my sympathy, so I tend not to be too hard on them when this happens to me (e.g. I just delete the mail but don't mark it as spam), but sometimes I can understand the frustration if this happens to you a lot. Do you retaliate against the individual translators who send you mails (e.g. do you make an effort to make them suffer consequences)?

(It doesn't happen a lot to me... I had only 2 "applications" in the past week -- one Slovenian and one Arabic.)

[Edited at 2022-10-24 08:44 GMT]

... for over two years now, almost every day, weekends excepted, I get tens of these application mails, all with gmail addresses. I once answered to one or two of these mails asking where they had found my mail address. Never got an answer, though. So I suppose this is some spamming plan for reasons I totally ignore. I have since installed an anti-spam software to avoid receiving all these mails in my mail client.

Denyce Seow
Singapore
Member (2004)
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Not their fault Oct 24, 2022

Of course I won’t blame them for this. I did the same thing 18 years ago when I first started out as a translator. I hope they did not have to pay for the contact list.

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Common sense Oct 24, 2022

No, no one is being hard, but the truth is that this behaviour is not normal and common sense is not being used.
When I started working as a translator, I have sent my application/CV to translation companies, potential direct clients, organisations, etc. and not to freelance translators... like me.
Brazilian translators and foreign translators who keep receiving those applications/CVs have both my sympathy!

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Lucky me! Oct 25, 2022

This morning I had only 6 applications:

English –> Indonesian ->Spanish
German -> English -> Spanish
Russian -> German -> English
English -> Italian
English -> Irish -> French
Russian –> English -> Ukrainian

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Weirder! Oct 25, 2022

I’ve just received an application from a Chinese translator. His CV has everything but the kitchen sink, the only thing lacking are the source language(s) and the target language (I suppose it’s Chinese)!

[Edited at 2022-10-25 17:29 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translators' application emails flooding my mailbox

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »