Thread poster: Kean Hall
Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:35
French to English
. Jun 21, 2022

Kean Hall wrote:

The content, however, is key to developing customer confidence in a high-risk product in the sporting goods sector.

Is it a product you use yourself? Might you be able to write in saying how enthusiastic you are about their product? Are they active on social media, with pages where clients can discuss their products?
I mean, I remember working in close proximity at one point with people who were developing a CAT tool, who wanted to find translators who were enthusiastic about their product, to help test beta versions and/or translate their marketing material. I pointed them here...

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:35
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Most likely they will thank you Jun 21, 2022

and then ask their current LSP to make improvements on the content.

Sebastian Witte

Kean Hall
Kean Hall
Italy
Member (2018)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Probably... Jun 21, 2022

jyuan_us wrote:

and then ask their current LSP to make improvements on the content.

I fear you may well be right, but thanks to everybody's replies I now have a much better feel for what sort of strategy I should be using to drum up direct customers. So if nothing else the project is proving to be a very useful learning experience.

Kean Hall
Kean Hall
Italy
Member (2018)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Yes Jun 21, 2022

Kay Denney wrote:

Kean Hall wrote:

The content, however, is key to developing customer confidence in a high-risk product in the sporting goods sector.

Is it a product you use yourself? Might you be able to write in saying how enthusiastic you are about their product? Are they active on social media, with pages where clients can discuss their products?
I mean, I remember working in close proximity at one point with people who were developing a CAT tool, who wanted to find translators who were enthusiastic about their product, to help test beta versions and/or translate their marketing material. I pointed them here...

Yes it's a product I use and know intimately so I'll sing its praises and maybe that will count for something.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Marketing instruments Jun 21, 2022

It looks that for sporting items, their favorite marketing tool seems to be Instagram via influencers. No much talk or text, just photos and videos or reels.

If it’s for industrial or medical use, text may be more important.

If you see flashy expensive graphics on their site, it must be something they measured brings more sales hence more investment. It’s measured, not perceived.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:35
Member (2008)
Italian to English
How do they know whether you're any good or not? Jun 21, 2022

This is a challenge. In another part of my life I'm trying to deal with a complex legal issue that requires the help of a lawyer who has specific skills in a particular area.

My issue is really, really important and it's vital that I find the best lawyer - one with a proven track record.

Needless to say, when I try searching the web for the best lawyer, I find hundreds who all claim to be the best: big firms, small firms, local and national, and individual lawyers with
... See more
This is a challenge. In another part of my life I'm trying to deal with a complex legal issue that requires the help of a lawyer who has specific skills in a particular area.

My issue is really, really important and it's vital that I find the best lawyer - one with a proven track record.

Needless to say, when I try searching the web for the best lawyer, I find hundreds who all claim to be the best: big firms, small firms, local and national, and individual lawyers with brilliant-looking CVs, glowing reviews on Trustpilot etc., etc.

But how do I really know? Who can I trust? Who will not waste my time and let me down? I can't afford to be let down.

Now apply these same criteria to someone who's looking for a translator.

You see the problem.
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Pier Brudaglio

Kean Hall
Kean Hall
Italy
Member (2018)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Great point Jun 21, 2022

Tom in London wrote:

Needless to say, when I try searching the web for the best lawyer, I find hundreds who all claim to be the best: big firms, small firms, local and national, and individual lawyers with brilliant-looking CVs, glowing reviews on Trustpilot etc., etc.

But how do I really know? Who can I trust? Who will not waste my time and let me down? I can't afford to be let down.

Now apply these same criteria to someone who's looking for a translator.

You see the problem.

Thank you, Tom. A crucial point indeed. I'll definitely add that to the list of points I need to bear in mind...so very much a case of "show don't tell", which I think was the point that Rachel Waddington highlighted when she talked about being specific.

I hope you manage to resolve your legal issue as painlessly as possible.

Tom in London

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Ambulance chasers Jun 21, 2022

Tom in London wrote:

And the last one you'd choose is the one who phones or emails you touting for work...

But OP has nothing to lose from sending an improved sample.

Tom in London
expressisverbis
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Sebastian Witte

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pitching to a direct client

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »