Where to advertise my translation services to Chinese sellers?
Thread poster: Arturo Villasenor Garcia
Arturo Villasenor Garcia
Arturo Villasenor Garcia  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 23:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 23, 2022

Hello everyone. I'm an English to Spanish (Mexican) translator. Here in Mexico there's a Mexican site similar to amazon.com and I've noticed that a lot of products from Chine being sold there are badly translated. I was wondering where can I mass-contact those sellers or advertise my Spanish translation services for them.

I contacted alibaba service asking if they had a section to advertise translation services and they said they didn't.

Any ideas?

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:34
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Don't bother Mar 23, 2022

Arturo Villasenor Garcia wrote:

Hello everyone. I'm an English to Spanish (Mexican) translator. Here in Mexico there's a Mexican site similar to amazon.com and I've noticed that a lot of products from Chine being sold there are badly translated. I was wondering where can I mass-contact those sellers or advertise my Spanish translation services for them.

I contacted alibaba service asking if they had a section to advertise translation services and they said they didn't.

Any ideas?

Unless you are a translation machine, I wouldn't bother.

Jorge Payan
LIZ LI
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
polishedwords
Gerard de Noord
expressisverbis

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:34
Japanese to English
+ ...
Chinese sellesr Mar 23, 2022

Unless you are OK with working for USD 0.01 to 0.02 a word, don't bother. When I propose a rate to Chinese agencies, I always get "limited budget". I recently proposed USD 0.03 for proofing/editing and it was turned down.

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Not a direction to even think of Mar 23, 2022

The sellers don't sell poorly because of the lousy translations of their texts, and better translations may not lead to better business either.

LIZ LI
LIZ LI  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 13:34
French to Chinese
+ ...
@Arturo Mar 24, 2022

Any ideas?

The terrible translations you found out for those sellers, are provided by Alibaba.

And Alibaba itself is working on large-scale Machine translation projects.
They'd prefer algorithm than translation.

[Edited at 2022-03-24 11:58 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio
Jorge Payan
expressisverbis

Sadek_A
Sadek_A  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:34
English to Arabic
+ ...
Definitely... Mar 24, 2022

...Fortune Cookies

They are doing it to everyone, so why not be done to them?

"An EN-ES marvel is seen on your path. Grab the opportunity."

Joking aside, simply try searching "Chinese manufacturer/seller looking for EN-ES translator," both in English and Chinese/Mandarin.

expressisverbis

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:34
Member (2016)
English to German
... Mar 24, 2022

jyuan_us wrote:

The sellers don't sell poorly because of the lousy translations of their texts, and better translations may not lead to better business either.

I have NOT bought several items via Alibaba, due to lousy item descriptions as well as incomprehensible text on sellers' pages and the Alibaba site in general.

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
Chinese sellers Mar 24, 2022

The last time I did business with an agency in this country, it took six months to get paid.

Renquan Yang
Renquan Yang  Identity Verified
China
Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
No such a great need for the products presented on Alibaba. Mar 25, 2022

No such a great need for the products presented on Alibaba, and some key words would work well. So Machine Translation is enough, at which Alibaba is good at.

jyuan_us
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
A lot of Chinese sellers do business in the USA Mar 25, 2022

Jan Truper wrote:
I have NOT bought several items via Alibaba, due to lousy item descriptions as well as incomprehensible text on sellers' pages and the Alibaba site in general.

A lot of Chinese sellers do business online here in America, and some of them with lousy item descriptions still perform well. I've never seen any "incomprehensible text on sellers' pages," though.

[Edited at 2022-03-25 09:03 GMT]

jyuan_us
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Do you translate from Chinese to Spanish? Mar 25, 2022

Any ideas?

If not, you may have to translate product descriptions into Spanish from English that has originally been translated from Chinese, mostly by non-native translators in China. In such a process, your Spanish translation could be more fluent, but it could also be associated with a lower accuracy. When it comes to product descriptions on a seller's site, accuracy should be considered as more important than fluency.

If you want to become an agency that will use native in-market Chinese to Spanish translators, that could make a difference.

[Edited at 2022-03-25 22:59 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where to advertise my translation services to Chinese sellers?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »