Thread poster: Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:57
French to English
+ ...
Apr 8, 2011

This has come up before as a sub-issue of other questions but I wanted to raise it again in its own right.

So a potential client has contacted me regarding a job and asked if I used TRADOS. I replied that unfortunately I don't so if that was a requirement I wouldn't be able to help them in this case. They have then got back to me asking if I use *any* CAT tool. This question slightly stumped me: I understand that for workflow reasons, they might require translators to use a *specifi
... See more
This has come up before as a sub-issue of other questions but I wanted to raise it again in its own right.

So a potential client has contacted me regarding a job and asked if I used TRADOS. I replied that unfortunately I don't so if that was a requirement I wouldn't be able to help them in this case. They have then got back to me asking if I use *any* CAT tool. This question slightly stumped me: I understand that for workflow reasons, they might require translators to use a *specific* CAT tool. But I don't quite understand the rationale behind requiring "any old CAT tool": if it's not that they need a specific one for workflow reasons, then why would they care either way?
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:57
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Apparently "Trados" has turned into generic terminoloy Apr 8, 2011

As a synonym for: "Do you use any CAT-tools?"

Just like "Xerox" had turned into the equivalent for any copying machine, "Hoover" = any vacuum cleaner, "Kleenex" = any facial tissue, or in Germany: "Zewa" = any paper towel, "Tempo" = any paper handkerchief, "Tesa" = any adhesive tape, "TippEx" = any white-out fluid, I could go on.

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:57
German to English
+ ...
Compatibility Apr 8, 2011

I don't use Trados, but I do use Wordfast and still work on "Trados" projects for clients. That's why they ask.

Ragland Inbaraj
Ragland Inbaraj  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 08:27
English to Tamil
+ ...
Trados Old version is used still Apr 8, 2011

Hi,

Since many of my clients ask for Clean and Unclean files of Trados, I need to use them, though SDL trados laetst version do not have the concept of Clean and Unclean files like its earlier's.

Cheers,
Ragland.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:57
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
reductions for fuzzies Apr 8, 2011

Neil Coffey wrote:

why would they care either way?

They care because if you have any old CAT tool at all they can offer you any old reductions on fuzzies.

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 04:57
French to English
+ ...
At least two valid reasons Apr 8, 2011

I see at least two valid reasons to ask this question:
1. The use of CAT tools ensures consistency of the translation. In technical translations, this is extremely important.
2. Most CAT tools can import or export TMX-formatted TMs. The client may want to give you one or ask you for one.

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:57
German to English
+ ...
Equivalent words Apr 8, 2011

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Just like "Xerox" had turned into the equivalent for any copying machine, "Hoover" = any vacuum cleaner, "Kleenex" = any facial tissue, or in Germany: "Zewa" = any paper towel, "Tempo" = any paper handkerchief, "Tesa" = any adhesive tape, "TippEx" = any white-out fluid, I could go on.

I was also beginning to have that impression, but not as firmly as Nicole. Another example I have noticed is the use of "googling" to mean "using a search engine". (And, I think the French use "ruban scotch" for any adhesive tape - in the UK it's (or was) sellotape.)

There's a list of over 50 such names here:
http://coolrain44.wordpress.com/2010/03/23/brand-names-that-we-call-generic-products/

Oliver

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 23:57
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Generic terms Apr 8, 2011

Nicole Schnell wrote:

In Brazil, "durex" tape is the common name for Scotch tape (US) or sellotape (UK). I was a small boy then, but I have a faint recollection it was the product name 3M used to market it here in the 1950s.

In Portugal, "durex" is the common name for condoms/preservatives, apparently a brand originally imported from the UK.

Try to imagine a Brazilian visiting an office in Lisbon, and requesting some "fita durex" (= durex tape in PT) to seal a package. Backstage, a helpful secretary shoots a condom through the document shredder, trying to turn it into "tape", thinking that Brazilians must be really crazy to use that to seal packages.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:57
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Incredible! Thanks for the link, Oliver. Apr 9, 2011

Oliver Walter wrote:

There's a list of over 50 such names here:
http://coolrain44.wordpress.com/2010/03/23/brand-names-that-we-call-generic-products/

Oliver

The list is truly amazing.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you use "any old CAT tool"?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »