Páginas no tópico:   < [1 2 3] >
Poll: What CAT tool would you recommend to new translators?
Tópico cartaz: ProZ.com Staff
expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 19:18
Membro (2015)
inglês para português
+ ...
Also... Jul 6, 2022

Elisa Paglia wrote:

I like Memsource, but also TranslatorCafè and Crowind. I can use Smartcat but it isn't my first choice.

... you mean "Crowdin".

Gennady Lapardin
Gennady Lapardin  Identity Verified
Federação Russa
Local time: 21:18
italiano para russo
+ ...
comment Jul 6, 2022

Leader of League A is Trados. Congratulations!

Mónica Algazi
Mónica Algazi  Identity Verified
Uruguai
Local time: 15:18
Membro (2005)
inglês para espanhol
These two Jul 6, 2022

memoQ and TextUnited.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Holanda
Local time: 20:18
Membro (2006)
inglês para africâner
+ ...
OmegaT and WFA Jul 6, 2022

Remember, we're talking about a new translator here. Money would be tight. Once you start getting clients you can think about investing in a more expensive tool.

Stepan Konev
expressisverbis
Wolfgang Schoene
Philip Lees
Juno Bos

Anette Hilgendag
Anette Hilgendag  Identity Verified
Espanha
Membro
inglês para alemão
+ ...
Déjà Vu Jul 6, 2022

Made for translators not agencies

Matthias Brombach
Mirelluk

Serena Basili
Serena Basili  Identity Verified
Bélgica
inglês para italiano
+ ...
CafeTran Jul 6, 2022

I started using it back when I started because it has a free version and I still swear by it.
Affordable , compatible with the most common CAT tools used in the industry, light, and user friendly.

Hans Lenting
Carmen Lanzrein

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
França
Membro (2007)
inglês para alemão
+ ...
Yes, my bad Jul 6, 2022

Teresa Borges wrote:

Wolfgang wrote:

Teresa Borges wrote:

Is there a CAT tool called TranslatorsCafé? Really?

that's a website for translators.
Perhaps you mean Cafetran, top-notch CAT tool!

I know what TranslatorsCafé is, but here is listed in the options as a CAT tool (???)...

I should have read the terms of the poll, first.

Joeri Van Liefferinge
Joeri Van Liefferinge  Identity Verified
Bélgica
inglês para holandês
+ ...
Déjà Vu, without any doubt Jul 6, 2022

Superior translation engine, superior service, superior fuzzy match fixing, superior compatability with other CAT tools, etc. Why is Déjà Vu not even an option in this poll?

Matthias Brombach
Anette Hilgendag
Juno Bos
Mirelluk

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
Reino Unido
Membro (2011)
sueco para inglês
+ ...
Memsource Jul 6, 2022

I have only used it a couple of times but I found Memsource easy to use and it was provided by the agency for free.

That said, all modern CAT tools I've seen are a pain with all those tags, which is why I still use WFC.

Christel Zipfel

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canadá
Local time: 14:18
Membro (2009)
francês para inglês
+ ...
Trados Studio Jul 6, 2022

I use Trados now and SDL language cloud.

I trained with MemoQ but I'm not all that crazy about it, although I have no trouble with Memsource.

I like Smartcat as well, a couple of clients use it and it's user-friendly and not hard to learn at all.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Alemanha
Membro (2006)
alemão para inglês
Across Jul 6, 2022

I am quite surprised that Across is no tmentioned very often here. It can be a pain in the neck, but about 40% of my tasks are completed using it.
Otherwise Trados 2021.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Holanda
Membro (2006)
alemão para holandês
Simple tasks = simple formatting? Jul 7, 2022

Ice Scream wrote:

That said, all modern CAT tools I've seen are a pain with all those tags, which is why I still use WFC.

There are other CAT tools that either do not use (show) tags or handle the placement of tags automatically. So there are alternatives for Wfc in this regard.

That said, I'm wondering if simple documents (I assume that novice translators start with simple tasks) are likely to have complex formatting. Maybe some bold or italics here and there, but that should do it.

Christopher Schröder

Alex Lichanow
Alex Lichanow
Alemanha
Membro (2020)
inglês para alemão
+ ...
Across Jul 7, 2022

Michael Harris wrote:

I am quite surprised that Across is no tmentioned very often here. It can be a pain in the neck, but about 40% of my tasks are completed using it.
Otherwise Trados 2021.

I used to work with Across a lot, but I have to admit I never enjoyed it a bit. The UI hardly makes any sense, I never got why there would be an uneditable bilingual view PLUS an additional translation field, that modular QA may sound innovative, but is just all around horrible and then there is crossWeb, which - in my experience - is one of the most inferior online CAT tools out there, even worse than XTM and Smartling. Also, while I fully understand that the company behind Across is trying to make money like any other for-profit company out there, the decision to disable the creation of target files in the free client was a major bummer.

Wolfgang Schoene
Juno Bos

Tanja Oresnik
Tanja Oresnik  Identity Verified
Eslovênia
francês para esloveno
+ ...
Transit NXT Jul 7, 2022

It seems to be the least popular CAT tool around here, but I find it more straightforward and more reliable than any of the more popular ones. One of the features I appreciate, for example, is that it creates an individual language pair for each file, allowing for much easier control of what you want to use as your reference material each time. Its dictionaries are easily searchable and more reliable (stable) than e.g. in Trados studio 2017 which I also work with, but only when required specific... See more
It seems to be the least popular CAT tool around here, but I find it more straightforward and more reliable than any of the more popular ones. One of the features I appreciate, for example, is that it creates an individual language pair for each file, allowing for much easier control of what you want to use as your reference material each time. Its dictionaries are easily searchable and more reliable (stable) than e.g. in Trados studio 2017 which I also work with, but only when required specifically by the client.Collapse

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Alemanha
Membro (2007)
holandês para alemão
+ ...
Across Jul 7, 2022

I would recommend Across to new translators so that they will leave the business soon fully frustrated and not try to compete with me.

Alex Lichanow
Christopher Schröder

Páginas no tópico:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderador(es) deste fórum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What CAT tool would you recommend to new translators?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »