Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >
Poll: Have you considered moving due to recent world events and/or economic pressure?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:51
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Re-unification Jul 3, 2022

Bearing in mind current political trends, I'm waiting in London in the hope that my country (Ireland) is re-unified in my lifetime. Then I might go back. (I'd have gone back already but the plum job I was shortlisted for didn't materialise, and without a large income, living in central Dublin is unaffordably expensive.)

[Edited at 2022-07-03 09:10 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:51
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Leaving your country just temporarily? Jul 3, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:

My client count has reduced to zero after February 24.

I beg your pardon, Stepan, when this question is too personal, but before you lose all business contacts you had before, and to be able to step in again on the same level as before when finally the "operation" and the associated boycott measures hopefully will have come to an end (which may take more time as we all expect), wouldn't it be a good idea for you to move temporarily to one of the neighboured baltic countries, where you also could find Russian communities, and leave your flat in Russia meanwhile to a relative or friend? The translation business is very volatile and you may lose your clients for a long time if not forever. Said that I don't know what rules you have to obey as a citizen of Russia working freelance in the EU for a certain time. Perhaps you could work for one of the numerous newly founded translation agencies in Lithuania, Estland, or Letland, and agree with them to still serve your earlier contacts, but covered somehow under their VAT?

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
No easy solutions Jul 3, 2022

Michael Newton wrote:
Hopefully to Switzerland or Scandinavia.

Better than the US for sure, but Sweden and Denmark have their own problems with rapidly growing crime, and you don't get to carry a gun to protect yourself. If low rates of violent crime are (understandably) desirable then why not Japan?

Dan

expressisverbis

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Quoted post was removed.
Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Must have missed that Jul 4, 2022

Michael Newton wrote:
Also, moving to Japan is not an option. Perhaps you have heard about the nuclear explosion some ten years ago which has poisoned the water table in Japan and virtually every food source in the archipelago.

Given that I was in central Tokyo when the earthquake, tsunami and subsequent reactor leak took place, and for a couple of years after, I couldn't very well not have been aware of it.

On the other hand, I am not aware of any reputable research that claims that Japan's water table and "virtually every food source" have been contaminated. Last time I looked - admittedly several years ago - the consensus seemed to be that levels of radiation in most of the area around Fukushima were similar to historical background radiation levels in Tokyo. But maybe I'm just easily duped.

If you had expressed concern about the likelihood of a major and hugely destructive seismic event in the Tokyo area over the next few decades, or anxiety about the geopolitical implications sharing the region with an increasingly assertive China, I would have believed you. But to think radiation levels throughout Japan are more of a risk than violent crime in Boston...? Pull the other one, it's got bells on.

Dan

Christopher Schröder
Joe France

Guofei_LIN
Guofei_LIN  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 01:51
Chinese
Not in touch with reality. Jul 4, 2022

Tom in London wrote:
Your problem will still be the same when you move to Europe. Because it's inside you.

That's based on the assumption that the world has not changed a bit and everything is still business as usual since the last time you checked.

Barbara Cochran, MFA

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Nope Jul 4, 2022

Guofei_LIN wrote:

That's based on the assumption that the world has not changed a bit and everything is still business as usual since the last time you checked.

No, it's based on the assumption that if world events or economic pressure persuade someone to move to somewhere else, it doesn't mean they're escaping from the things that preoccupied them.

If you are troubled by an inner turmoil that's part of your psychological makeup, then you can go wherever you want but your turmoil will go with you.

[Edited at 2022-07-04 13:25 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Gerard Barry

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 17:51
French to English
. Jul 4, 2022

Hum I thought politics were out of bounds on this website, but this poll question is just asking for it!
Tom, there's no point arguing. It might be better for your blood pressure if you join me in imagining someone who complains that the US is not far right enough, ending up in a progressive, social democracy like Sweden, that hasn't been to war since maybe 1735, whose army hasn't even bought a new uniform design since then, where you're not even allowed to gender your own offspring let al
... See more
Hum I thought politics were out of bounds on this website, but this poll question is just asking for it!
Tom, there's no point arguing. It might be better for your blood pressure if you join me in imagining someone who complains that the US is not far right enough, ending up in a progressive, social democracy like Sweden, that hasn't been to war since maybe 1735, whose army hasn't even bought a new uniform design since then, where you're not even allowed to gender your own offspring let alone spank them.
Collapse

Baran Keki
Christopher Schröder
Jan Truper
polishedwords

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you considered moving due to recent world events and/or economic pressure?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »