Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:57
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
There's no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing choices Mar 29

20240329_094929-50%

This morning I waited in line with a queue of about two dozen people at Nourish, a bakery in Fishguard that seems to have a loyal and patient clientele. It was in any case a cold morning, and by the time we got there it was drizzling. Before leaving the house I had glanced outside at the weather and unwisely decided not to wear the scruffy coat of almost impermeable Harris tweed with its comfortably large collar.

When the sleet began to fall as I stood outside the bakery my light jacket, scarf, and hat were not enough to protect me either from the rain or the frigid easterly wind. My wife got back from her part of the shopping fifteen minutes later to find me literally shuddering with cold, but by then I had got all stubborn and was pointlessly determined to gut it out until the end, and sent her back to the car to wait for me. I did get our bread, but when I left there were still a dozen people waiting outside.

On the way home we dropped in at the butcher's in Newport to get a half leg of lamb for Easter, in addition to a few other bits and pieces.

I notice the first Kingcup of the year at the side of the track as we approach the house.

Back at my desk I am still studying Talon, and wondering whether there is anything about it that would prevent it from being used with Japanese. The lack of explicit word delimiters is one obvious problem, but maybe that will not be a problem for mixed Japanese and English text.

Dan

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:57
English to Spanish
+ ...
can see pictures Mar 29

FYI, for whoever was wondering. I am able to see the pictures on my Mac at home. In the meantime, I cleared the cookies off of my work computer, as suggested, but didn't remember my password to log back in. Now that I have my password again, I can check the Windows machine at work next time I have a chance.

And I did guess right about the visitor being sheltered by a flower because it was the only thing that looked like a creature, even though I was looking for a bird all the time.
... See more
FYI, for whoever was wondering. I am able to see the pictures on my Mac at home. In the meantime, I cleared the cookies off of my work computer, as suggested, but didn't remember my password to log back in. Now that I have my password again, I can check the Windows machine at work next time I have a chance.

And I did guess right about the visitor being sheltered by a flower because it was the only thing that looked like a creature, even though I was looking for a bird all the time. Now I know that a ladybird is the same thing as a ladybug!
Collapse

Dan Lucas

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Typing with your voice Mar 30

Today I want to talk briefly about how I use voice recognition. To recap, I have had RSI on and off for twenty years or so. When I became a full time translator of Japanese to English financial documents in 2015 the additional typing burden became fairly substantial and I started to suffer to the point where I could not actually use my hands properly. I switched to a different and
... See more

Today I want to talk briefly about how I use voice recognition. To recap, I have had RSI on and off for twenty years or so. When I became a full time translator of Japanese to English financial documents in 2015 the additional typing burden became fairly substantial and I started to suffer to the point where I could not actually use my hands properly. I switched to a different and more ergonomic keyboard and I also started to use Dragon Naturally Speaking. That seemed to clear things up for me.

The past twelve months have been unusually busy for me and I found my hand pain was starting to make itself felt again. So I invested in yet another ergonomic keyboard and I have also been focusing on optimizing my voice recognition. During this process I gradually became increasingly aware of the many problems of Dragon Naturally Speaking. This is why I have been looking at Talon.

Because most CAT tools will not allow you to dictate directly into the software itself (my understanding is that MemoQ is an honorable exception), I dictate into a separate window and then copy that text into the window of the CAT tool. Until now I have been dictating into Windows Notepad but over the past few days I have been using VSCode. It sounds incredibly cumbersome but I have voice commands that trigger AHK scripts that automate the copying back and forth so it works very smoothly.

(The rationale for using Windows Notepad is complicated but it boils down to the fact that the full range of Dragon Naturally Speaking functionality is only available in a very limited range of applications, including Notepad.)

If as a translator you are suffering from pain in your hands and arms, I strongly recommend that you look at changing your keyboard and, if this does not help, consider giving speech recognition a go. The problem has in the past been that Dragon Naturally Speaking is not cheap and therefore the cost of "giving it a go" has always been forbiddingly expensive.

The advent of Talon as a credible competitor to Dragon Naturally Speaking is an interesting development because it allows people to experiment at low cost. The downsides are that it is much more fiddly to install than Dragon, and in some ways it is not as easy to customize.

Dan
Collapse

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
A darker start, and a lighter ending Mar 31

The clocks went forward in the UK this morning, which meant that for the first time in many weeks I rose in pre-dawn dimness and took my woodland walk with the dog with my headtorch on. On the other hand, the evenings will be longer as we go into British Summer Time, and it seems to me that this theme of transition from dark into light is a fitting one for this very early Easter Sunday. While not everybody will agree with the explicitly Christian imagery of the poem below, the message of redempt... See more
The clocks went forward in the UK this morning, which meant that for the first time in many weeks I rose in pre-dawn dimness and took my woodland walk with the dog with my headtorch on. On the other hand, the evenings will be longer as we go into British Summer Time, and it seems to me that this theme of transition from dark into light is a fitting one for this very early Easter Sunday. While not everybody will agree with the explicitly Christian imagery of the poem below, the message of redemption and hope for humankind surely has a wider currency.

easter wings

(The above 1633 version of George Herbert's Easter Wings famously uses the shape of the poem on the page to depict its subject, and is visible in more readable form here.)

More immediately relevant to me, in the light of the poet's nationality and era, and the fact that today is my birthday, is this effort by Dylan Thomas, although my third decade is now far behind me.

It was my thirtieth year to heaven
Woke to my hearing from harbour and neighbour wood

In this secular age many of us tend not to think of ourselves as Christians, but for most of us raised in a European country or in the United States the very structure of our daily lives is informed by Christian traditions and values. If, as I did, you live for many years in an emphatically non-Christian country, this will become obvious in a way that it will not be if you spent your years abroad in say, Italy. When your boss expects you to come in on Christmas Day as a matter of course, you realize that the difference between Catholicism and Protestantism is actually fairly minor in the greater scheme of things.

This is just one example of the many pitfalls that one must negotiate when one engages with a very different culture. Because I specialize in the translation of financial texts from Japanese to English I run into such problems far less frequently than somebody who translates literary works into English, but a thoroughly practical understanding of the cultural background and the environment in which a document is written is still very helpful. When I read a text I often envisage the management reading it out in front of the audience sat an earnings meeting of the kind I often attended in Tokyo. Personal experience of the culture of your source language is important.

Anyway, I wish you all a happy Sunday, whatever your religious denomination, if any.

Regards,
Dan
Collapse

Sybille Brückner
Sybille Brückner  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:57
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Happy Birthday to you Mar 31

Happy Birthday, Dan

I like you posts very much. Interesting things you have to tell.

Sybille

QHE
Christel Zipfel
P.L.F. Persio
MollyRose
Peter H.

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
A time of gifts Mar 31

Illustrated by the rather excellent Angela Harding.

20240331_151112-25%

20240331_151048-25%

P.L.F. Persio

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Work resumes, alas Apr 1

Cherry over the river 3 April 1999

Cherry blossom season has been a little bit late in Japan this year, I am told. This photo was taken in early April 1999, at a place called Edogawabashi park, not far from where I lived at the time. It was shot with my first ever digital camera, a FujiFilm Finepix 2700, so the quality is not great, but it is enough to give you a sense of how the area looks when it is in full bloom. The watercourse is the Kanda river (the Kandagawa).

The flurry of emails I have received from clients overnight implies that they are taking no time off work for hanami. One of those messages relates to a project that was booked last week and which has now appeared in the portal.

The others are inquiries about projects from a separate client who appears to have woken up in the panicked realization that earnings season is almost upon them. Three of these projects are for a regular end client and are also relatively small, so I accept them. One of the others is not only fairly large but also requires delivery right in the second week of May, on a day on which seven other projects are already scheduled for delivery. This is basically the peak of the peak. Gung ho though I generally am, this seems to me to be a bridge too far and I decline politely, with an explanation.

The final project offered is also fairly large, but apparently is going to be split into two tranches. After studying my schedule, I conclude to my surprise that I can probably handle it. The project manager thanks me and tells me she will send more information next week.

I now have close to fifty projects booked for April and May, but of course there will be cancellations and reductions in volume, so it will not necessarily be as busy as it sounds.

----------------------------------------

On this morning's walk I was surprised but pleased to see a bat flit through the light of my torch, the first such sighting since the autumn. Actually, I saw it twice, or I saw two bats, one or the other. I suppose this coincides both with the warmer weather, which has presumably brought bats out of hibernation, and the increase in insect life, members of which I can also see dancing in the light of my torch.

Although I only caught a quick glimpse of the bat, it seemed too large to be a pipistrelle, so possibly a long-eared bat? We have many bats in the area, some of which live in the house and the outbuildings. A few years ago at dusk I once saw what I think was a noctule bat, flying high, fast and straight over the roof of the house towards the woodland. It was as large as a blackbird, but its silhouette against the evening sky and the cadence of its wingbeats were like no bird I have ever seen.

And now to work, for the first time in several days.

Regards,
Dan

[Edited at 2024-04-01 09:10 GMT]

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
April fool in Japan Apr 2

It's all go. Three of my clients have been in contact with further additions and changes. One job at the beginning of earnings season has been cancelled, and the deadline for another has been changed. This client also wants another job inserted in early May, which is relatively small and therefore is probably possible. A few minutes later they follow up with a request for a larger job bang smack in the middle of the busiest period, in the second week of May. It will be painful, but just about do... See more
It's all go. Three of my clients have been in contact with further additions and changes. One job at the beginning of earnings season has been cancelled, and the deadline for another has been changed. This client also wants another job inserted in early May, which is relatively small and therefore is probably possible. A few minutes later they follow up with a request for a larger job bang smack in the middle of the busiest period, in the second week of May. It will be painful, but just about doable, and the end client is a regular, so... A second client requests a job in late May, which turns out to be feasible, and a third client comes to me with some minor changes to an existing schedule. I fling myself on my PC and email madly in all directions.

I did not get much work done yesterday, although I did complete some much-needed admin. Now I'm off to do my weekly morning of volunteering, and this afternoon I will have to work hard to compensate and to catch up with the job that is due for submission on Thursday morning. Drat.

----------------------------------------
On a less serious note, there is a very common kind of packed lunch in Japan called "Maku no uchi bento" (幕の内弁当), which is adequately explained here. Anybody who has lived in Japan for any length of time will have eaten one of these at some point. I often used to grab one at the station when I was traveling on the Shinkansen to visit companies. Yesterday, McDonald's Japan was having some fun with their menu, announcing a "Mac no uchi bento" (マックの内弁当) as a playful riff on "Maku no uchi bento". Given that Japanese people are perhaps less aware of the whole April fool thing than Westerners, it is perhaps understandable that they included a disclaimer in small print at the bottom left corner...

mac no uchi

Dan
Collapse

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Marathon Apr 3

I get up to find that a client has offered me a job of 10,000 characters beginning the week after next. I still have some capacity available at that point in the month, so I accept. It is not an end client that I have dealt with before.

The early part of yesterday morning was taken up with the daily job, interspersed with complicated back-and-forth emails about my schedule with other clients. I then left the house at half-past nine to do my volunteering stint and did not return unti
... See more
I get up to find that a client has offered me a job of 10,000 characters beginning the week after next. I still have some capacity available at that point in the month, so I accept. It is not an end client that I have dealt with before.

The early part of yesterday morning was taken up with the daily job, interspersed with complicated back-and-forth emails about my schedule with other clients. I then left the house at half-past nine to do my volunteering stint and did not return until half-past one in the afternoon. What with that, and concern about a member of family who became ill, I found it difficult to concentrate and did not get much done.

The consequence is that today I am faced with a mountain of work to complete before tonight's deadline, somewhere in the region of 9,000 characters. Possible, but unpleasant.

Time to get my head down.

Dan
Collapse

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
I'm on a horse Apr 4

2015-04-12-0821-31-F_5.6-ISO 140-50%

2015-04-12-0822-12-F_5.6-ISO 160-50%

Actually, these are ponies not horses, and roam wild around the Preseli hills and on Carningli itself. Humans do shunt them around every now and again, but they are to the best of my knowledge neither fed nor looked after.

They spend summers up on the mountain and don't come down to the Tŷ Canol meadows behind our house very often even in the colder seasons of the year, but a few years ago the whole herd came down over the winter. Hill ponies tend to be quite cobby at the best of times, so we assumed that the fat mare was just, well, fat. It turned out that she was in foal, as you can see from the photos above. These were taken early in April 2015, so I assume the foal is now grown up and maybe has progeny of its own.

--------------------------------------------------

Yesterday was, as anticipated, quite painful. I translated over nine thousand characters in three different jobs, and I didn't get to bed until well past midnight. Typically such late nights are once- or twice-yearly events, and yet this is the second time it has happened in as many weeks. I like to think it's coincidence and that I have not somehow managed to completely lose my touch for scheduling just before the busiest part of my year.

The reality is that although April and May are of course busy, last year both August and October were as busy as May. The problem is that April and May are not only busy but they are inefficient, as the workflow consists of many different and often small jobs. This results in rapid and frequent switches of context that are stressful and tiring. There are times when I have to complete multiple jobs in a day and by the evening I literally cannot remember what I did in the morning, let alone what I submitted on the previous day.

Back in the present, I have no work in progress. I do have one job that is scheduled to come in today, but the deadline is relatively generous. I need to use that time to get my annual accounts done before earnings season starts.

Regards,
Dan

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Cows fight back Apr 4

Triplet of horses in the woodland? Pah. I counteroffer with a rather nondescript photo of a herd of cows on the headland above Newport Bay, with the mass of Dinas Island looming in the background. April a few years ago.

2014-04-24-1218-25-F_14.0-ISO 100

The job I was expecting today did come in, but a little bit late. It means that I need to get about thirteen thousand characters done by the middle of next week, so the deadline is generous. On the other hand, tomorrow is Friday and I often see a burst of offers on Friday for delivery on Monday, sent by worried project managers who have realized that they have not much time and not many people they can ask. I do want some time to myself this weekend, so I will have to harden my heart and be very selective about what I accept, if indeed there are any requests.

Dan

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Deposit insurance Apr 5

The Simon Armitage poem I posted a few days ago, haiku-esque as it is, reminded me of something else related to spring flowers. Although roughly taken at the same place, this photo dates from a time four years after the previous cherry blossom shot.

2003-03-31-1204-57

It's interesting to note that the image produced by the digital camera used in this photo (a FinePix 40i) is a noticeable improvement over the image produced by the 1999 camera, although it actually came out only a year or so later. In the early stages of the digital camera market the enhancements really did come along in leaps and bounds. By comparison, most people today have a smartphone incorporating a digital camera that long since became good enough to meet all their needs.

(However, I should point out that when images are uploaded to this forum they are compressed pretty heavily, which is not something that I can control, and which results in fairly poor quality.)

One of the reasons I used to enjoy going to Edogawabashi park to view the cherry blossom, apart from the fact that I once lived very close by, is that if you went right to the other end of the park (the end furthest from the station), you would find haiku that had been written by the members of a local literary association or something similar.

2003-03-31-1229-10

These were laminated on A4 paper (EDIT: clearly it is not A4) and taped to the railings for the enjoyment of passers-by. And many of them were indeed rather good, often referring to themes of a topical nature. Back in 2003, one of those themes was the so-called “payoff kaikin” (ペイオフ解禁) issue. The Japanese government passed a law in 2002 that basically reduced the amount of deposit insurance in Japanese financial institutions, so that only the first ten million yen (about £53,000) was covered, i.e. would be paid off in the event of the failure of the institution in question.

The law did not come into effect until 2005, but attracted considerable media attention well before that. In reality the risk of something happening to those deposits was infinitesimally small, but people with lots of liquid funds were faced with the problem of deciding whether to leave them where they were or try to move them somewhere nominally safer.

Hence the haiku in this photo. It reads:

ペイオフで
悩んでみたい
この俺も

Payoff de
Nayande mitai
Kono ore mo

A rough translation would be something like:

I too want to see
What it is like to worry
About payoffs

The wry implication is that the haiku's author is a long way from the happy state of having to be concerned about where to put his excess wealth. This is supported by the pen name at the bottom left of 貯金零男 (Chokin Zero), meaning "No Savings". (The final 男 is a character that is often used at the end of male given names.)

Now is the season - at least in Japanese financial translation - for companies with year-ends other than March (February, for example) to prepare materials for their shareholder meetings. That is the nature of the document that I am currently translating, a notice of convocation (株主総会招集通知). Despite my concerns yesterday, so far no clients have asked me to do anything over the weekend. I did, however, get some feedback from the new client about style issues going forward.

Onwards and upwards!

Dan

[Edited at 2024-04-05 10:36 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
The flowers that bloom in the spring, tra-la Apr 6

Gorse blooms all year round. As my grandmother used to say, "If gorse is out of flower then kissing's out of fashion." These flowers have that vanilla/coconut scent, albeit fainter on a gusty and overcast spring day like today than it would be in the full sun of summer.

Today I have been making slow but steady progress with the current project, which is a trans
... See more

Gorse blooms all year round. As my grandmother used to say, "If gorse is out of flower then kissing's out of fashion." These flowers have that vanilla/coconut scent, albeit fainter on a gusty and overcast spring day like today than it would be in the full sun of summer.

Today I have been making slow but steady progress with the current project, which is a translation of a notice of convocation (株主総会招集通知) due for delivery in the middle of next week. This job has provided another good opportunity to try out the Talon voice recognition system in a relatively low-pressure environment. I'm also gaining confidence with the Cursorless extension to Talon, which has been a revelation.

The thing I like about voice recognition is that it makes it relatively easy to dictate long stretches of text. The thing I don't like about voice recognition is that it makes it relatively slow and cumbersome to edit that text, using that same voice recognition, if you (or it) make even one mistake.

Experienced users of voice recognition systems like Dragon will know that it is often quicker to simply delete the whole block of text and dictate it again, rather than try to edit it. This sounds like a reasonable solution, until the second dictation also contains a mistake, and you realize that Dragon doesn't like something in what you have said. It is at this point that I normally give up and reach wearily for the mouse and the keyboard.

This may not seem like a big deal, but if you use voice recognition to reduce the burden on your hands imposed by using the keyboard, as I do, then you will likely find that the process of editing becomes the factor driving keyboard use, and thus in turn the factor driving hand discomfort. To put it another way, the more you edit, the more you hurt.

The Cursorless system (as is often the case with software names, I am not sure whether it should be capitalized or not) is not perfect but my perception is that it has so far reduced the amount of keyboard use associated with work by around 90%. If I do use the keyboard it is through force of habit, or because I have not yet internalized a particular sequence of commands required to perform a certain task in Cursorless.

Very briefly, it works by putting a little colored blob above a single letter in every word visible on the page. The "target" for a Cursorless action is defined by a combination of the color and the letter over which the blob sits. However, to avoid ambiguity we use a simple phonetic alphabet for each letter, in which "a" is "air", "b" is "bat", and so on.

2024-04-06-171436100_Code
For example, if I wished to target the word "colored" above I would say "yellow look". I could then select, change, move, split, copy, or replace the word, or perform many other actions such as wrapping it in quotes, adding or removing characters to the start or end, or even changing it to a homophone (e.g. "colored" to "coloured"). What this means for me is that I can actually use my voice to perform all the complex editing tasks that I used to have to use the keyboard for. There has certainly been a learning curve, but I am getting faster by the day.

To be clear, there are drawbacks.

The first is not specific to Cursorless: like any other complex skill it takes time to acquire. That in itself does not put me off, perhaps because I have made a living out of tackling areas of knowledge that the average person would find too challenging or too forbidding to master. (Alternative interpretation: the average person has more common sense than I do when it comes to wasting time on obscure branches of knowledge of doubtful utility.)

The second drawback is more significant: Cursorless can only be used in (free) Visual Studio Code. All that fancy editing requires a pretty sophisticated text editor, and that means more than Notepad or its ilk. Effectively I must write everything in VSCode and transfer it to my CAT tool, although that process can be automated.

I don't know if I will continue using Cursorless, but it has been an interesting journey so far. It is the first system that I have seen that is actually competitive with typing for anything other than dictating simple streams of text.

As for Talon itself, which provides the underpinnings for Cursorless, the more I use it the more impressed I become. At this point it does seem to me that it is a superior solution than Dragon for my purposes. I genuinely believe that the model is more accurate than that used by Dragon. Simply put, it makes fewer mistakes.

Here you can see both the blackthorn in the hedge and the celandines in the grass. Note that the oak trees beyond still have not come into leaf.

In the normal run of things I do the morning walk with the dog and my wife does the afternoon walk, but she was away seeing friends over Carmarthen way, so I did both shifts today. With Storm Kathleen approaching the west of the UK, the weather has been quite blowy, and Biscuit's ears flapped like little banners in the roaring wind on top of the hill.

As spring matures, flowers are popping up everywhere and the field in which the dog and I took our walk was full of celandines. The grass under the eaves of the woodland on the other side of the fence was scattered with shy wood anemones. Primroses have been flowering for some weeks, but this one in the garden has appeared only recently.

We welcome the hope that they bring / Of a summer of roses and wine, indeed...

[Edited at 2024-04-06 18:36 GMT]
Collapse

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
A minor tragedy Apr 7

We saw a little bird repeatedly going in and out of the spare wheel attached to the back of the Land Cruiser, so I went to take a look. There is a well-hidden hollow space between the concave inner surface of the wheel and the back door of the Land Cruiser, into which was wedged a large clump of earth, moss and twigs. In the upper surface of this clump I found a carefully formed little nest. Fortunately, no eggs had yet been laid.

I removed it with a heavy heart, thinking of all the
... See more
We saw a little bird repeatedly going in and out of the spare wheel attached to the back of the Land Cruiser, so I went to take a look. There is a well-hidden hollow space between the concave inner surface of the wheel and the back door of the Land Cruiser, into which was wedged a large clump of earth, moss and twigs. In the upper surface of this clump I found a carefully formed little nest. Fortunately, no eggs had yet been laid.

I removed it with a heavy heart, thinking of all the work the chaffinches had done to put that in place. The Land Cruiser is in frequent use as our second vehicle, and is our main means of transportation when the other Toyota is in the garage. If we had needed to move the Land Cruiser after the eggs had been laid or the young had hatched - which would have happened within a matter of days - it would have been the end of that brood. The birds have lost a nest, but hopefully they will be able to make another one in time to breed this season.

Work on the translation is proceeding only slowly. I have translated documents for this end client in the past but I am not really familiar with the details of the company's business. In addition, the company has conscientiously been translating its Japanese financial documents into English for the past several years, which means it has built up a significant repository of English text to which I must refer and with which I must remain consistent.

I have been plodding gamely onwards, but I have only completed around four thousand characters.
I think I need to plod a little more quickly.

Dan
Collapse

TonyTK

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
On short verses and long cultural experience Apr 8

20240402_125057
Today's post is partly about poetry, but song is another deep-rooted cultural tradition in Wales

One of the outcomes of living and working in a very competitive professional environment in Japan for nearly twenty years was that I ended up knowing a good deal more about many specialist subjects than most Japanese people.

I guess that this is not particularly surprising in any country. It is remarkable what people don't know about their own nation. For example, in previous posts I mentioned haiku, which are short poems with three lines of five, seven, and five syllables respectively. While haiku are often described as masterpieces of brevity, I suspect there are very few people in the UK, even in Wales, who are aware that Welsh has a similarly concise verse form, in the englyn.

The most common form of the englyn has ten, six, seven, and seven syllables in each line, and so it is slightly longer than a haiku, and there is no requirement for a kigo, or seasonal word. On the other hand, the creation of englyn requires the application of a rich and complex system of rhyme, consonance, and alliteration called cynghanedd, a framework that was already more or less complete by the end of the sixteenth century. Usually this takes the form of matching consonants or creating alliteration within the line itself, rather than simply at the ends of lines.

Here's a well-known one by Dewi Emrys.

Y Gorwel

Wele rith fel ymyl rhod - o'n cwmpas
Campwaith dewin hynod
Hen linell bell nad yw'n bod
Hen derfyn nad yw'n darfod.

Rough translation:

The Horizon

An illusion like the rim of a wheel - around us
The masterpiece of a strange magician
An ancient line that does not exist
An ancient border that never ends

Conclusion: a good feel for the culture of your target language adds depth and nuance to your work, whether it be rendering Welsh poetry into French, or translating Japanese financial documents into English.

Dan

[Edited at 2024-04-08 17:33 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

In my craft or sullen art: JA-EN financial translation

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »