Migrating DVX to a new laptop (without a parallel port)
Thread poster: Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 20:48
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Jul 11, 2007

I just purchased a new notebook , and its sleek design does not include any parallel port. It does have three USB 2.0 ports though.

Before asking Atril, can anyone here tell me how to migrate my DVX license? Is there any USB dongle available from Atril, or, even better, a license key (i.e. code)?

Thank you,
Csaba

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 12:48
English to German
+ ...
Do ask Atril Jul 11, 2007

When I changed my parallel dongle to USB, it cost 70 EUR + 3 EUR for shipping.

You will have to ask Atril for the current price and the address where to send your dongle.

Judy Schoen
Judy Schoen  Identity Verified
English to German
get a code for the exchange Jul 11, 2007

dear Csaba, unplug your donlge and write down the serial of your DVX (under Help/info or at the startup of the program).
Write to [email protected], ask for a code for this serial and for the info you need for exchange

Pay the new dongle (around 70 €)
send your old dongle in a way to atril, that you have a proof for it.

kind regards
Judy Ann

Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Jul 11, 2007

Thank you to both of you, now it's clear. The price is a bit hefty for a small piece of plastic, but probably there's no other solution.

Csaba

Jan van Leeuwen
Jan van Leeuwen
Local time: 02:48
English to Dutch
+ ...
Pure robbery Sep 18, 2009

The price is now €100 plus €6 for shipping (within Europe), just for dongle exchange.

Pure robbery, if you ask me.

I'm done with Déjà Vu.

Herbert Eppel
Herbert Eppel  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:48
German to English
+ ...
Peanuts Sep 18, 2009

I'm done with Déjà Vu.

C'mon, €100 is peanuts compared with all the productivity gains you can achieve with Déjà Vu, and don't forget, unlike a well-know competitor, Atril has never charged for any upgrades/updates (apart from the major one from DV3 to Déjà Vu years ago, and even that was free for existing users).

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 19:48
German to English
+ ...
Get real Sep 18, 2009

Jan van Leeuwen scripsit:
I'm done with Déjà Vu.

Good decision. I'm sure you'll find a taker for your soon-to-be unused DVX license/dongle (I'll give you € 150), and you can switch to SDL Trados Studio 2009 and enjoy all its benefits, including unbelievable support and true interface innovation that makes you almost as productive on some days as some of its competitors if the phase of the moon is right and the software doesn't crash and burn.

Granted, that is excessive for a dongle exchange. I thought the € 60 I paid ages ago was a bit steep, but it's a minor sum, so it's not worth sweating, really. The real issue for me is whether there will ever be a new DVX release that I can use with my dongle or whether I'll remain stuck for the next five years with v7.5 Build 303. Even with that aging turkey I work better in many cases than with the alternatives.

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Higway robbery Sep 18, 2009

Herbert Eppel wrote:

I'm done with Déjà Vu.

C'mon, €100 is peanuts compared with all the productivity gains you can achieve with Déjà Vu, and don't forget, unlike a well-know competitor, Atril has never charged for any upgrades/updates (apart from the major one from DV3 to Déjà Vu years ago, and even that was free for existing users).

...is what it is. It is atrocious. One of those things costs, what? €10 tops. Maybe they somehow manage to waste €20 on administrative costs and taxes and all that, then they still collect €70 for basically nothing at all.
They may not gouge you on the upgrades but they sure do on dongles.

It is probably worth it for the translator and it's perfectly understandable and acceptable as a business practice, but that doesn't make it any less preposterous when you think about what you're getting.

[Edited at 2009-09-18 10:00 GMT]

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Let them have it Sep 18, 2009

... and see it as a compensation for saving us from the upgrade terror that users of other applications are exposed to. And Kevin, I'll beat your bid. €160 offered now

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
€170? Sep 18, 2009

Wolfgang Jörissen wrote:

... and see it as a compensation for saving us from the upgrade terror that users of other applications are exposed to.

Huh.
Now, I have SDL PSMA.
It took almost two months after the T2009 release before I saw all the licenses I paid.
I have a local license server (I have Trados Pro floating).
I'm unable to borrow licenses on my notebook.
I'm really tired.
At least, I'm happy I managed to activate my softlock license without problems

And Kevin, I'll beat your bid. €160 offered now

€170?

BTW.
Unlike SDL, Atril permits the license transfer.
Nevertheless, I think €100 for the dongle replacement is a little bit too much.
I think €50-60 would be a correct price (hardware, administrative fees + shipping).
In fact, it's the new Atril's dongle price AFAIK, the SDL dongle price was approx. the same 5-6 years ago (yes, I have SDLX 2005 on dongle).

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2009-09-19 17:52 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Migrating DVX to a new laptop (without a parallel port)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »