Translation: the Inside Story
Thread poster: Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
Local time: 00:13
ProZ.com team
Oct 6, 2020

A few months back, after reading a post about misconceptions that non-translators (aka “the rest of the world”) have about our beloved profession, we called for a group of volunteers to help work on a short publication, telling the world who we were, what we did, where, when and how we did it, and why.

We formed a group on Facebook and for a number of days we brainstormed these angles one by one. Using the information we came up with, I wrote a few texts and then shared them wit
... See more
A few months back, after reading a post about misconceptions that non-translators (aka “the rest of the world”) have about our beloved profession, we called for a group of volunteers to help work on a short publication, telling the world who we were, what we did, where, when and how we did it, and why.

We formed a group on Facebook and for a number of days we brainstormed these angles one by one. Using the information we came up with, I wrote a few texts and then shared them with the group, and we critiqued each one in turn until we were happy, before sending the whole thing on to Henry. A few final comments and observations later, we were ready to go. All it needed was a nice layout and we could share it with the world.

Now we can finally announce it’s here – put together with love and care. The idea was not to inform industry insiders, who know the score anyway, but to give friends, family, non-translator colleagues and anyone else an insight into our profession.

The authors are all credited inside. It’s called “Translation: the Inside Story” and we’re delighted to present it here today.

We hope you enjoy it, and let us know what you think. And please feel free to share far and wide!

Click here to read: www.tinyurl.com/y32tqmpt

Screenshot 2020-10-05 at 06.43.59
Collapse

Robert Rietvelt
Morano El-Kholy
Kamal Idkaidek
expressisverbis
Angie Garbarino
P.L.F. Persio

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Would you like me to proofread it? Oct 6, 2020

I like the idea and I like the content and tone.

It could be shorter. I don’t think many people will read all of it.

It definitely does need proofreading, though.

Philip Lees

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 23:13
Danish to English
+ ...
Is there a high-contrast version? Oct 6, 2020

Is there a high-contrast version with black or near-black fonts? This insidious, non-inclusive, light-grey fashion is not helpful to those of us who no longer have perfect eyesight and/or are no longer 30.

Based on the bits I managed to read before the fashionable but unreadable grey forced me to stop, I tend to agree with Chris.

Tina Vonhof (X)
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Oleksandr Ivanov

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 23:13
Japanese to English
Thanks Oct 6, 2020

A short one-page article version I could send to people on WhatsApp would be nice.

Tina Vonhof (X)

Angela B
Angela B  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
The Inside Story for Insiders? Oct 6, 2020

I read this after watching your session on Startups the other day and really enjoyed it – I think its content and tone will really chime with those in the know but if I'm completely honest, I'm not all that sure any of my non-translator family/friends/acquaintances – in other words, the target audience – would be that interested in it. Perhaps, as others have said, it might appeal to them more if it was a little shorter?

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Fine Oct 6, 2020

I was a bit pushed for time when I read it, Andrew, but I liked the tone too.

Angela B
Angela B  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Best bit Oct 6, 2020

'As translators our vocation is to ply our craft, and then disappear from the scene, leaving no trace that we were ever there.'

Love this!

Christopher Schröder
Sabrina Bruna
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
P.L.F. Persio
Angela Brindle

Kamal Idkaidek
Kamal Idkaidek  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:13
Member (2019)
Hebrew to English
+ ...
Translation: the Inside Story Oct 7, 2020

I had the time to read it today.

Totally love it

Having been a member of the group, but reading only without participating in the comments makes me remember to contribute next time.

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:13
German to English
+ ...
Excellently written, well-rounded Oct 10, 2020

Congratulations on a job well done - I assume a "labour of love".

P.L.F. Persio
Sara Massons

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation: the Inside Story

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »