Thread poster: Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:13
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Apr 26, 2021

I want to apply for a job but they have said in their posting that it will be done using a software called Transifex. Could someone explain what it is and how it works? I've never heard of it before. Do I need to buy a licence? I have read a text on it, but the jargon is so complex, I'm none the wiser. And is it complicated to use?

Recep Kurt
Recep Kurt  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 09:13
Member (2011)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Free trial Apr 26, 2021

https://www.transifex.com/signup/

If I were you I would give it a try and find out myself...

Sara Massons
Jorge Payan

Sara Massons
Sara Massons  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:13
Member (2016)
English to French
+ ...
It depends on how you feel with such tools Apr 26, 2021

I'm using Transifex for some clients. I did not have to buy a licence as it is an online portal for which (I guess) the client pays a subscription. I find it rather easy to use, except that the default shortcuts for frequent actions like "validate" or "confirm" are different from the (many) other tools I use. However, I'm the kind of person who jumps from one tool to another without any problem and I know it's not for everyone. I don't think the free trial will give you the opportunity to see ho... See more
I'm using Transifex for some clients. I did not have to buy a licence as it is an online portal for which (I guess) the client pays a subscription. I find it rather easy to use, except that the default shortcuts for frequent actions like "validate" or "confirm" are different from the (many) other tools I use. However, I'm the kind of person who jumps from one tool to another without any problem and I know it's not for everyone. I don't think the free trial will give you the opportunity to see how it works for translation, you will need to accept a project. However, this page shows you a number of screenshots and tips that you may find useful: https://docs.transifex.com/translation/translating-with-the-web-editorCollapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:13
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Paul Apr 26, 2021

Paul Dixon wrote:
I want to apply for a job but they have said in their posting that it will be done using a software called Transifex.

It's a software localization platform. In other words, you'll be translating software.

If you work for a client, then they'll pay for the use of Transifex (not you). There is really no advantage in paying for Transifex yourself, because you won't be able to use any of its features unless you're a software developer and you have software to translate.

Transifex has good file management and its commenting feature is reasonably useful, but it has no export-and-import capabilities that I know of (export yes, but not re-import) and the layout is cumbersome.

Still, since you have no other work (see previous posts), I would suggest that you jump at the opportunity. As with any online system, the more you use it, the faster you become. It's not terribly complicated to use, and if you get stuck, just ask the client. Tell them you've never used it before but that you have heard good things about it and are eager to try it.

Recep Kurt wrote:
https://www.transifex.com/signup/
If I were you I would give it a try and find out myself...

I agree with Sara that the free trial is unlikely to prove useful. To use the free trial, you'd need to have software localization source files available that you can upload.

Some free and/or opensource projects use Transifex, and you may be able to join their projects as a volunteer, which would give you the opportunity to test it in a real-world situation. After you've registered, click the compass icon ("Explore") at the top right, and you'll see a number of "public" projects that may allow applications from volunteers. Not all volunteer opportunities are "public" projects, however, so you may need to google a bit to find any of them that use Transifex. Although these are volunteer (unpaid) translations, Transifex is also used by clients who pay.

[Edited at 2021-04-26 21:09 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 09:13
English to Russian
Export-and-import capabilities Apr 27, 2021

@Paul Dixon, from my experience, it is far from being user-friendly.

@Samuel Murray,
Samuel Murray wrote:
but it has no export-and-import capabilities that I know of (export yes, but not re-import)
It has. You can both download a TMX and an XLF file and then re-import your translation.

[Edited at 2021-04-27 01:50 GMT]

Endre Both
Enrique Bjarne Strand Ferrer

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is Transifex?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »