Pilar Dueñas
Pilar Dueñas  Identity Verified
Costa Rica
Local time: 05:29
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 26, 2021

Hello forum,

I'm QCing the English SDH subtitles of a 1960s film and unfortunately the originator did not follow the Netflix Timed Text guidelines.

I am fixing the grammar and transcription errors but I need your help with the specs, please.
1. In addition to describing the type of music, are you using music notes "♪♪♪"?
2. When we can identify the speaker clearly, do you use speaker ID "[Nicky]"?
3. Do you position the subtitles at the centre o
... See more
Hello forum,

I'm QCing the English SDH subtitles of a 1960s film and unfortunately the originator did not follow the Netflix Timed Text guidelines.

I am fixing the grammar and transcription errors but I need your help with the specs, please.
1. In addition to describing the type of music, are you using music notes "♪♪♪"?
2. When we can identify the speaker clearly, do you use speaker ID "[Nicky]"?
3. Do you position the subtitles at the centre of the screen like normal subtitles?
4. Any other suggestion or common errors that you find in SDH subtitles.

I watch a lot of shows on Netflix but SDH subtitles tend to vary a lot. https://partnerhelp.netflixstudios.com/hc/en-us/articles/217350977-English-Timed-Text-Style-Guide
Collapse

Sarper Aman
Sarper Aman  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 14:29
Member (2019)
English to Turkish
+ ...
some answers Apr 27, 2021

Hello Pilar,

I've QCed number of SDH files and since your questions are not language specific, I think I can answer some.

1. In addition to describing the type of music, are you using music notes "♪♪♪"? No. Just the type of music or the name of the song.
2. When we can identify the speaker clearly, do you use speaker ID "[Nicky]"? If audience already knew the character name, no need to. "Only use speaker IDs or sound effects when they cannot be visually iden
... See more
Hello Pilar,

I've QCed number of SDH files and since your questions are not language specific, I think I can answer some.

1. In addition to describing the type of music, are you using music notes "♪♪♪"? No. Just the type of music or the name of the song.
2. When we can identify the speaker clearly, do you use speaker ID "[Nicky]"? If audience already knew the character name, no need to. "Only use speaker IDs or sound effects when they cannot be visually identified."
3. Do you position the subtitles at the centre of the screen like normal subtitles? Yes.
4. Any other suggestion or common errors that you find in SDH subtitles.

I'm leaving some reference that may help. These are different guidelines but just to give you an idea.

https://bbc.github.io/subtitle-guidelines/

https://www.gosub.tv/en/music-and-sound-effects

http://captioningkey.org/sound_effects.html

Regardless, if there are too many things to fix, you can discuss your PM about rejecting the project or reconsideration of the rate.

Hope that helps.

Best,
Collapse

Keroles Waseem

Pilar Dueñas
Costa Rica
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great! Apr 27, 2021

Thank you so much, Sarper. That is so helpful.
I am trying to get feedback from Netflix regarding IDs, I'm a bit confused.
I've had another look at the Timed Text guidelines and apparently we need music icons at the beginning and end of each song verse.
The rates are very bad, but I've been wanting to learn how to do SDH subtitles and nobody seems ready to teach you. So I'm sending feedback to the agency but I don't want to abandon this project, I make enough money translating
... See more
Thank you so much, Sarper. That is so helpful.
I am trying to get feedback from Netflix regarding IDs, I'm a bit confused.
I've had another look at the Timed Text guidelines and apparently we need music icons at the beginning and end of each song verse.
The rates are very bad, but I've been wanting to learn how to do SDH subtitles and nobody seems ready to teach you. So I'm sending feedback to the agency but I don't want to abandon this project, I make enough money translating into English and I can afford to take some projects that I find interesting.
Take care and thank again.
Collapse

Sarper Aman
Sarper Aman  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 14:29
Member (2019)
English to Turkish
+ ...
music notes Apr 28, 2021

Pilar Dueñas wrote:

Yes! I thought, you asked type of musics like [rock music playing], not the lyrics. We sure need music notes for each line, not verse thou. Sorry

Like:

♪ Aaaaa ♪

or for double-liners:

♪ Aaaaa
Aaaaa ♪

Pilar Dueñas

Pilar Dueñas
Costa Rica
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My fault Apr 28, 2021

The film I did on Monday had no songs, but yesterday I did a musical and I checked the TT guide again.
Thank you, Sarper, your examples are so clear and helpful.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Netflix SDH subtitles --music notes, speaker ID, subtitle positioning

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »