What's the best subtitle program to use on Mac?
Thread poster: Jobson da Rosa
Jobson da Rosa
Jobson da Rosa
United States
Local time: 13:05
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Aug 5, 2020

Hey Guys! I hope you can help me to find a good tool to work on my Mac. I've been struggling trying to find one. Apparently there's no much info out there related to this subject.

Appreciate all your help.

Thanks.

Sarper Aman
Sarper Aman  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 20:05
Member (2019)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Ooona Aug 6, 2020

Hello there,

I've been using Ooona Translate Pro for 2 years and big fan of it. I strongly recommend it if you're looking for something pro. You can free trial. Translate version is $12/month and Translate Pro version (with Shot Changes etc.) $24/month. They have some sort of discount I think, until the end of year because of the pandemic. I also used Aegisub which is free but in my opinion the user interface is awful. And I tried a Mac app called Subtitle Edit Pro. I liked it at fi
... See more
Hello there,

I've been using Ooona Translate Pro for 2 years and big fan of it. I strongly recommend it if you're looking for something pro. You can free trial. Translate version is $12/month and Translate Pro version (with Shot Changes etc.) $24/month. They have some sort of discount I think, until the end of year because of the pandemic. I also used Aegisub which is free but in my opinion the user interface is awful. And I tried a Mac app called Subtitle Edit Pro. I liked it at first but it's not for business. Hope that helps.

https://ooona.ooonatools.tv/

https://apps.apple.com/tr/app/subtitle-edit-pro/id1065306078?l=tr&mt=12

http://www.aegisub.org/downloads/
Collapse

Jobson da Rosa

Jobson da Rosa
Jobson da Rosa
United States
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Very helpful Aug 6, 2020

I agree. I started to use Aegisub yesterday considering is free I'll try to make it work. If not I'll definitely give Ooona a try.

Thank you so much.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:05
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Ooona Aug 6, 2020

Ooona "starts at" $25/month. Every month. Clearly it's not for the occasional subtitler !

[Edited at 2020-08-06 17:35 GMT]

Jobson da Rosa

Sarper Aman
Sarper Aman  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 20:05
Member (2019)
English to Turkish
+ ...
It actually... Aug 6, 2020

...starts at $12 per month. This is "Translate", which is also very adequate but as a professional subtitle translator I use "Translate Pro" cause I need shot changes, wave forms etc. $25/month is the "Create". It's for transcription. If you're a subtitle translator, you don't need that, "Translate Pro" works just great. The beauty of it is that you don't have to pay it every month, for full 12 months. If you need it occasionally, you just pay when you need it, in one particular month for exampl... See more
...starts at $12 per month. This is "Translate", which is also very adequate but as a professional subtitle translator I use "Translate Pro" cause I need shot changes, wave forms etc. $25/month is the "Create". It's for transcription. If you're a subtitle translator, you don't need that, "Translate Pro" works just great. The beauty of it is that you don't have to pay it every month, for full 12 months. If you need it occasionally, you just pay when you need it, in one particular month for example. Monthly subscription, I mean. I mostly use my vendors' software but I also need to keep a subtitling software handy so I purchase 12 months subscription.Collapse

Jobson da Rosa

Jobson da Rosa
Jobson da Rosa
United States
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good to know Aug 6, 2020

I am just starting to translate subtitles so I need to see how it goes and demand before I make an investment but it's just great that you can just pay the month when you actually use it. Pretty nice.

Thank you again for the amazing help.

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:05
English to German
+ ...
Try Belle nuit Aug 7, 2020

Jobson da Rosa wrote:

I am just starting to translate subtitles so I need to see how it goes and demand before I make an investment but it's just great that you can just pay the month when you actually use it. Pretty nice.

Thank you again for the amazing help.

I have been using Belle Nuit for three or four years, quite intuitive interface, quick learning curve.
As the customer made it available to me for free, I have no idea about the cost.

Maria Giovanna Polito
Maria Giovanna Polito  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 18:05
Member (2009)
French to Italian
+ ...
Jubler Aug 10, 2020

I've been using Jubler for Mac. Its functionalities are not so many, it's essential, but it's very user-friendly. Worth a try and it's free.

[Edited at 2020-08-10 10:33 GMT]

Daniela Nobre
Daniela Nobre
Portugal
Local time: 17:05
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jubler Aug 28, 2020

Hey!

Can you load a video or even an audio file to Jubler?

I'm struggling with this, which renders it quite useless... But maybe I'm doing something wrong? What's your experience?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What's the best subtitle program to use on Mac?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »