Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
How many minutes per day?
Thread poster: Ida Lodin
phaelbr
phaelbr
English to Portuguese
60 minute Dec 5, 2019

I basically do documentaries and talk shows from fr to pt.
A 90 minute talk show, with 2000 subtitles takes me a little less than two days - translate, proofread and watch. When it’s urgent I can deliver 60 minute (1300 st) in a day. As they are talk shows, I have to change the spotting often because one subtitle starts exactly when the one before ends.

Villő Ujvári
Villő Ujvári
Hungary
Local time: 11:16
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Around 20 minutes Jun 23, 2020

As someone who recently started to practice subtitling, my current limit is around 20 minutes per day.

The very first day I measured my output for doing subtitles, I felt so desperate because translation (including research, playing some sentences over and over again to understand them clearly, etc.) AND timing the subtitles took me a huge amount of time.

There is no shame in starting out slow, I say. What matters is starting out and then never stop developing your new
... See more
As someone who recently started to practice subtitling, my current limit is around 20 minutes per day.

The very first day I measured my output for doing subtitles, I felt so desperate because translation (including research, playing some sentences over and over again to understand them clearly, etc.) AND timing the subtitles took me a huge amount of time.

There is no shame in starting out slow, I say. What matters is starting out and then never stop developing your new skill. Fortunately I find the result of a good subtitle enjoyable enough to not suffer through the process of creating it, however, it is a demanding task phisically (sitting all day with a tense neck etc.) and mentally (research and listening skills are a must).

It is always great to read other opinions on this topic but make sure not to put too much pressure on yourself for the number of minutes you do per day, especially when starting out.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How many minutes per day?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »