Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >
New like / share buttons in ProZ.com forums? (Staff: "Not yet")
Thread poster: John Fossey
Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:44
French to English
ho May 21, 2018

Maxi Schwarz wrote:

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

Also, why is this linked to Facebook? Why didn't you just implement an internal rating system for users registered on ProZ (also considering this concerns posts published on the ProZ fora)?

I was wondering what you meant, so I tried to give you an experimental "like". and there was a popup wanting me to log into "my" Facebook" account. What if someone doesn't have such an account?
Actually, why such a button at all?

Starting at the bottom, why such a button: if someone has given an answer you like, you can like that answer. Liking the answer means you no longer have to post messages like "I agree with Maxi" or "I think Mirko's solution is the best". If you start a thread asking about a problem, then see that one solution offered has been liked by 20 people and another by only two, then that gives more weight to the first. An inexperienced translator would see that most prefer the first solution and won't waste time on the second if it turns out that the first works for them too.

Your first comment freaked me out a bit, because I don't want my FB friends to see that I'm liking posts here. The idea that translators and even clients here might see what I'm up to on FB freaks me out even more. My taste in music, my friends and my kittens are not things I want to share with clients.
So I just logged out of FB and liked your comment, I was not asked to log back into FB, so it's strange that you were.

Edited to add that I then liked a subsequent post and *was* asked to log back into FB.

Proz may be using our likes to be able to reach out to others. The fact that it's a FB like means that FB then gets to use that information. Personally, I think that my musings on translation are none of their business. If it were, I would have joined a translators group on FB. I joined Proz instead. Now FB is invading Proz, and I'm uncomfortable about that.

[Edited at 2018-05-21 12:46 GMT]

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
More hypothetical questions. May 21, 2018

Kay Denney wrote:

Maxi Schwarz wrote:

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

Also, why is this linked to Facebook? Why didn't you just implement an internal rating system for users registered on ProZ (also considering this concerns posts published on the ProZ fora)?

I was wondering what you meant, so I tried to give you an experimental "like". and there was a popup wanting me to log into "my" Facebook" account. What if someone doesn't have such an account?
Actually, why such a button at all?

Starting at the bottom, why such a button: if someone has given an answer you like, you can like that answer. Liking the answer means you no longer have to post messages like "I agree with Maxi" or "I think Mirko's solution is the best". If you start a thread asking about a problem, then see that one solution offered has been liked by 20 people and another by only two, then that gives more weight to the first. An inexperienced translator would see that most prefer the first solution and won't waste time on the second if it turns out that the first works for them.

Your first comment freaked me out a bit, because I don't want my FB friends to see that I'm liking posts here. The idea that translators and even clients here might see what I'm up to on FB freaks me out even more. My taste in music, my friends and my kittens are not things I want to share with clients.
So I just logged out of FB and liked your comment, I was not asked to log back into FB, so it's strange that you were.

If I shared this post on Twitter or Facebook, would people who I shared it with then be able to see your picture and full name without you knowing it or having control over it? Of course I have no intention of doing it, just asking a question. The green share button is definitely there, within reach, and moreover, within accidental reach.

And we are having this discussion in the middle of GDPR implementation period?

[Edited at 2018-05-21 12:42 GMT]

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:44
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Button actions May 21, 2018

Lingua 5B wrote:

The green share button is definitely there, within reach, and moreover, within accidental reach.

The Share button opens an overlay where you choose which social media you want to share it to (or even email or printer), so it's not likely to be hit accidentally.

But the Like button does seem to go straight to Facebook if you are logged in. If you are not logged in and do not wish to log in, it's not clear to me if it has any effect.

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
FB permission May 21, 2018

Kay Denney wrote:

I believe the FB permission you gave through ProZ is independent from your FB session in a browser (and probably linked to the "Social networks" section in the "Contact" tab of the "Profile Updater" : https://www.proz.com/settings/freelancer/contact?eid_s=[your ProZ ID] )

Lingua 5B wrote:

The green share button is definitely there, within reach, and moreover, within accidental reach.

Actually, there's no risk of "accidentally" sharing something by just clicking on the green button, as after clicking on it a popup window opens and you have to select how you want to share that something. Go ahead, try it...

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Thanks. May 21, 2018

John Fossey wrote:

Lingua 5B wrote:

The Share button opens an overlay where you choose which social media you want to share it to (or even email or printer), so it's not likely to be hit accidentally.

But the Like button does seem to go straight to Facebook if you are logged in. If you are not logged in and do not wish to log in, it's not clear to me if it has any effect.

OK thanks, I didn't dare trying as I didn't know whether it's a) automatic and b) reversible. Yes, a couple of times I wanted to quote someone's post and I nearly clicked the like button instead of the quote button. It could easily be accidental especially if I can't "unlike" it afterwards. That would mean that a person I accidentally liked would automatically be exposed to my entire network with their picture and full name?

Katalin Szilárd
Katalin Szilárd  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Deep down to the treasures of settings May 21, 2018

Maybe this is not new for many of you but for me this was new and it was creepy:

I have just figured out this setting feature within Social networks (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook).
Since I have never given any of my social network accounts on proz.com and since I left that part blank I didn't bother about it. But now I checked it and saw that LinkedIn and Facebook accounts were not associated. Good - that's what I thought.

But with Twitter. The wording with Twitte
... See more
Maybe this is not new for many of you but for me this was new and it was creepy:

I have just figured out this setting feature within Social networks (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook).
Since I have never given any of my social network accounts on proz.com and since I left that part blank I didn't bother about it. But now I checked it and saw that LinkedIn and Facebook accounts were not associated. Good - that's what I thought.

But with Twitter. The wording with Twitter is different (at least for me): it doesn't say account is not associated. It says: Twitter: username: and here I should give the username. And yes indeed I never had a Twitter account.

Is this just a coincidence that I have a LinkedIn account and a former Facebook (deleted because never used) account but not a Twitter account? How does proz know that? Or are LinkedIn & FB settings worded differently than Twitter for everybody?

I removed the check marks from

Show my LinkedIn page in my profile
Allow me to send updates to my LinkedIn status page from features at ProZ.com

And clicked on "save and update" my profile. The check marks remained there. Nothing happened.

Then I saw there was a " Select this option if you prefer not to use social networking features at ProZ.com. Most social networking features will not appear to you. Disable social network features" and I clicked on the check mark there and the whole thing went blurry.

So leaving those parts empty seems to be not enough. You have to go deep down to the level of Mariana Trench to detect hidden treasures of settings.

Although "show my FB profile" and "LinkedIn profile" in my settings are left checked (blurred) even though if I opted out. Meanwhile the disable is on.

Hmmmm... Is this the same for everybody?

Confusing settings

[Edited at 2018-05-21 22:10 GMT]
Collapse

AllegroTrans
AllegroTrans  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:44
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
Like - Share buttons May 22, 2018

This is a professional website. I for one don't want to see ANY connection with Facebook, given its activities over the past couple of months. Why on earth would ProZ users want to waste their time pushing "like" buttons anyway?

Come on Proz, this feature is totally unnecesary!

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:44
English to Spanish
+ ...
I agree with Allegro May 22, 2018

besides not wanting to have anything to do with Facebook. Maybe internal-use only for ProZ would be ok if people want an internal Like button, but not associated with any of the other social media, especially if others' usage affects those of us who don't want it anyway.

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
@Nate Hill - Staff, please clarify privacy issues May 23, 2018

So, if someone, who has Social Media cookies enabled, "likes" one of my forum posts, does it mean that the post will appear, or be mentioned on Facebook (perhaps on that person's FB timeline)? In its entirety, with my name, picture, etc? Where people can also comment on it? Same question goes for other Social media channels.
I certainly hope this is not the case as this would be a gross violation of privacy rights.
Please don't say that ProZ forums are public anyway, because there is
... See more
So, if someone, who has Social Media cookies enabled, "likes" one of my forum posts, does it mean that the post will appear, or be mentioned on Facebook (perhaps on that person's FB timeline)? In its entirety, with my name, picture, etc? Where people can also comment on it? Same question goes for other Social media channels.
I certainly hope this is not the case as this would be a gross violation of privacy rights.
Please don't say that ProZ forums are public anyway, because there is a difference between posts indexed by Google and shared further on Social Media.
I guess there is no problem with people sharing THEIR OWN stuff, but sharing other's posts (especially out of context) is very different.
Please clarify.
Collapse

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
like! May 23, 2018

Katalin Horváth McClure wrote:

Please don't say that ProZ forums are public anyway, because there is a difference between posts indexed by Google and shared further on Social Media.
I guess there is no problem with people sharing THEIR OWN stuff, but sharing other's posts (especially out of context) is very different.
Please clarify.

The button has disappeared now, but I really wanted to "like" your comment because you're saying exactly what I came to say!

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Proz.com-only Like button May 23, 2018

Why not create a Like button that doesn't need FB at all? Just keep it simple with a Like button that only works on Proz.com ... and gives you Kudoz and/or free months in your Proz membership? E.g. Help colleagues with solving CAT related problems and get rewarded for it.

[x] Like

[Edited at 2018-05-23 07:49 GMT]

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
That's what was requested for a long time May 23, 2018

Hans Lenting wrote:

Why not create a Like button that doesn't need FB at all?

Yes, that is the idea that people requested for a long time: a Like button for these forums.
I guess developing that takes more effort than simply inserting the FB button...

AllegroTrans
AllegroTrans  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
Proz.com-only Like button May 23, 2018

Personally, I cannot see the point of this. Who is going to take any notice of how many times a button gets pushed, and even if they do, what will happen then?

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Many will May 23, 2018

AllegroTrans wrote:

Personally, I cannot see the point of this. Who is going to take any notice of how many times a button gets pushed, and even if they do, what will happen then?

If there is a demand for a feature or feedback comment many agree with, the number of likes can give a good indication of the relevance, and it gives a much better overview than 10 separate "I agree" posts.

But I agree with others that such a function should not use social media functions.

Ivana UK
Ivana UK  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Like button has disapperared again! May 23, 2018

After changing my settings I was finally able to see the Like and Share buttons but didn't get a chance to test them as they disappeared again the next day!

Is anyone else still seeing them or have they been removed?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New like / share buttons in ProZ.com forums? (Staff: "Not yet")

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »