Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >
New like / share buttons in ProZ.com forums? (Staff: "Not yet")
Thread poster: John Fossey
Katalin Szilárd
Katalin Szilárd  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 10:11
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Where is it shared? May 19, 2018

Nate Hill wrote:

To everyone not seeing the sharing features, please ensure you have given consent in the new "Data & privacy settings" menu option. You should see them after giving social cookie consent. Here are screenshots to guide you:....

Thank you for your answer, Nate.
Do we members get information where they are shared on different social media?
Is the whole page shared with full names?

Bests,
Katalin

[Edited at 2018-05-19 05:35 GMT]

Katalin Szilárd
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
"Likes" go backwards May 19, 2018

I have seen on a Kudoz link that one minute it received 7 Likes then the next minute 6 Likes.

3-2-1 and LIFT OFF?

Ivana UK
Ivana UK  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:11
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Still can't see the like and share icons May 19, 2018

I checked my settings and social sharing was already set to on. Anything else I should be checking?

[Edited at 2018-05-19 16:59 GMT]

Nate Hill
Nate Hill
United States
English
+ ...
No tracking; May 19, 2018

Katalin Szilárd wrote:
Do we members get information where they are shared on different social media?

There is no information about how or where posts are getting shared that ProZ.com is tracking.

Katalin Szilárd wrote:
Is the whole page shared with full names?

Sharing is enabled on public forums and topics, but names are not automatically added to share messages. If a non-logged in visitor was to visit the page from the shared link, the page would look as it has always -- with full names and details of the person who posted. Does that answer your questions?

Nate Hill
Nate Hill
United States
English
+ ...
Coincidental timing? May 19, 2018

Katalin Szilárd wrote:

I have seen on a Kudoz link that one minute it received 7 Likes then the next minute 6 Likes.

3-2-1 and LIFT OFF?

Sounds odd if that was the case every time, but if you've just noticed it once, I guess it could have been coincidental timing with someone who was just testing the like button and changed their mind? If you notice this frequently, please let me know and try to make a note of the pages. Thanks!

Nate Hill
Nate Hill
United States
English
+ ...
Browser extensions? May 19, 2018

Ivana UK wrote:

I checked my settings and social sharing was already set to on. Anything else I should be checking?

[Edited at 2018-05-19 13:13 GMT]

It was mentioned above that adblocker extensions were preventing one user's social sharing from being displayed. Please disable your extensions that seem likely and see if turning them off fixes the problem for you.

Katalin Szilárd
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Thanks for the answers May 19, 2018

Nate Hill wrote:

Katalin Szilárd wrote:

3-2-1 and LIFT OFF?

Sounds odd if that was the case every time, but if you've just noticed it once, I guess it could have been coincidental timing with someone who was just testing the like button and changed their mind? If you notice this frequently, please let me know and try to make a note of the pages. Thanks!

Thank you for your answers, Nate.
If I notice this again, I'll let you know.

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
OK, can see it now, but... May 20, 2018

Nate Hill wrote:

To everyone not seeing the sharing features, please ensure you have given consent in the new "Data & privacy settings" menu option. You should see them after giving social cookie consent.

OK, now I can see the Like button, but I have to say the whole thing seems kind of... "sluggish", in both registering the like and then showing it, as I have to reload the page for that to happen (OK, my PC suddenly became a pile of junk after "upgrading"(?) to Win 10, but still...). Also, why is this linked to Facebook? Why didn't you just implement an internal rating system for users registered on ProZ (also considering this concerns posts published on the ProZ fora)?

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
More traffic from Facebook? May 20, 2018

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

Nate Hill wrote:

To everyone not seeing the sharing features, please ensure you have given consent in the new "Data & privacy settings" menu option. You should see them after giving social cookie consent.

OK, now I can see the Like button, but I have to say the whole thing seems kind of... "sluggish", in both registering the like and then showing it, as I have to reload the page for that to happen (OK, my PC suddenly became a pile of junk after "upgrading"(?) to Win 10, but still...). Also, why is this linked to Facebook? Why didn't you just implement an internal rating system for users registered on ProZ (also considering this concerns posts published on the ProZ fora)?

Maybe they want more traffic from Facebook? I don't see a point either since IMO the clients we need are most likely not on Facebook. But maybe ProZ wants more traffic either way, from any source.

Secondly, I don't like the placement of the button so close to the "quote" button, accidental "likes" are most likely to happen for the posts I don't even intend to "like". It could have been positioned differently.

[Edited at 2018-05-20 22:20 GMT]

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:11
German to English
+ ...
Facebook May 20, 2018

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

Also, why is this linked to Facebook? Why didn't you just implement an internal rating system for users registered on ProZ (also considering this concerns posts published on the ProZ fora)?

I was wondering what you meant, so I tried to give you an experimental "like". and there was a popup wanting me to log into "my" Facebook" account. What if someone doesn't have such an account?
Actually, why such a button at all?

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:11
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
@Nate Hill - What does the like button do, exactly? May 21, 2018

I am a bit confused by the "Like" button being part of the same group as the social media sharing icons.
I turned off Social Media Sharing, because I don't want to use that, but by doing that the Like button also got disabled. So, what is exactly this Like button? I thought we finally got the "like" button we asked for, so that we could express agreement with forum posts in a simple way, but I am not sure this is that. Why does using this Like button require to have Social Media sharing en
... See more
I am a bit confused by the "Like" button being part of the same group as the social media sharing icons.
I turned off Social Media Sharing, because I don't want to use that, but by doing that the Like button also got disabled. So, what is exactly this Like button? I thought we finally got the "like" button we asked for, so that we could express agreement with forum posts in a simple way, but I am not sure this is that. Why does using this Like button require to have Social Media sharing enabled? Does this Like button share anything anywhere outside of ProZ? Could you explain?
Collapse

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:11
English to Spanish
+ ...
What is the sideways V in green? Hovering doesn't say. May 21, 2018

And what if we don't want to be involved with social media? All those buttons show up on the Kudoz term questions, as well as a like button. If a person posts a question or answer, and somebody clicks on one of those icons (for instance, FB), does that mean the whole term question, answers, etc. show up on that media (FB, in this case)? I've read that FB is very invasive, even for people who don't subscribe to it but click on the Like anyway. It seems weird to me to have a Like for a question... See more
And what if we don't want to be involved with social media? All those buttons show up on the Kudoz term questions, as well as a like button. If a person posts a question or answer, and somebody clicks on one of those icons (for instance, FB), does that mean the whole term question, answers, etc. show up on that media (FB, in this case)? I've read that FB is very invasive, even for people who don't subscribe to it but click on the Like anyway. It seems weird to me to have a Like for a question, and for social media, too. I don't understand the purpose.Collapse

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Social media share button. May 21, 2018

MollyRose wrote:

And what if we don't want to be involved with social media? All those buttons show up on the Kudoz term questions, as well as a like button. If a person posts a question or answer, and somebody clicks on one of those icons (for instance, FB), does that mean the whole term question, answers, etc. show up on that media (FB, in this case)? I've read that FB is very invasive, even for people who don't subscribe to it but click on the Like anyway. It seems weird to me to have a Like for a question, and for social media, too. I don't understand the purpose.

The green button is social media share button. I don't know what social media though but perhaps options are given once it's clicked.

I'm not sure if all these shares or likes are because of us or because of ProZ itself as obviously ProZ requires its own promotion, which is understandable.

IMO promoting translation service on social media is not efficient. However promoting ProZ brand through clicks, likes, shares, link building may be efficient as it will allow further reach and get its name out there.

For those of you who asked what the point is - the point is promotion, branding and further reach. Not sure if it will work though, and it also may be counterproductive in some cases - eg. some colleagues say they don't want to appear on social media, but if someone shares their post, they don't have any control over it.

I also don't enjoy seeing that buttons are implemented with many colleagues not being aware of what they are, how they function, and what their impacts are. Couldn't you ensure to explain everything in advance so people are not presented with things while being blindfolded?

If I'm mistaken and took something wrong in terms of what I said above, then please inform me and I will edit my post.

[Edited at 2018-05-21 09:39 GMT]

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Traffic/Exposure May 21, 2018

Lingua 5B wrote:

For those of you who asked what the point is - the point is promotion, branding and further reach. Not sure if it will work though, and it also may be counterproductive in some cases - eg. some colleagues say they don't want to appear on social media, but if someone shares their post, they don't have any control over it.

I also don't enjoy seeing that buttons are implemented with many colleagues not being aware of what they are, how they function, and what their impacts are. Couldn't you ensure to explain everything in advance so people are not presented with things while being blindfolded?

Good points, and I believe the "likes" get published somewhere on FB as well... plus, I guess that this also meant using a prepackaged API rather than coding something new, which is what I would have expected, given also the apparently endless changes we're seeing, with some of them not being adequately presented/explained before they are implemented (if at all). I can't say I like this approach, especially for a paid service directly linked to my business...

As for me, I thought a(n internal) "like" system would've been a nice addition, but not something that relies on FB... As for "sharing", in the past I did try to share something on LinkedIn (but it never worked, despite having linked it to ProZ and asked support), as I guess that sharing something related to your work on a professional social network makes more sense than sharing it on FB or on the myriad of other platforms/services I've seen appear after clicking on the green share button (there are 24 right now, in case you were wondering)...

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Yes. May 21, 2018

Well I'm not 100% sure where and how they are shared and liked, or whether they are liked only internally, that's why I called for correction if I'm mistaken. I haven't tried clicking, liking or sharing first-hand so I can't know for sure.

[Edited at 2018-05-21 10:40 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New like / share buttons in ProZ.com forums? (Staff: "Not yet")

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »