Trados 2017 and numbers autopropagation
Thread poster: Don Alejandro
Don Alejandro
Don Alejandro
Russian Federation
Oct 11, 2018

Hello!

I've been dealing with quite a lot of number heavy documents recently and I was wondering whether there is a way to substitute couple of hours of manual work. The problem is the following - I have, let's say, 100 segments, that looks like something like this:

Feathered Little Dragon Lv1
Feathered Little Dragon Lv2
Feathered Little Dragon Lv3
Feathered Little Dragon Lv4
Feathered Little Dragon Lv5

I assume there is some technic
... See more
Hello!

I've been dealing with quite a lot of number heavy documents recently and I was wondering whether there is a way to substitute couple of hours of manual work. The problem is the following - I have, let's say, 100 segments, that looks like something like this:

Feathered Little Dragon Lv1
Feathered Little Dragon Lv2
Feathered Little Dragon Lv3
Feathered Little Dragon Lv4
Feathered Little Dragon Lv5

I assume there is some technical matter involved, because as for the moment when I translate the first segment with "Translation 1 lvl" and press confirm and move to next segment, instead of making all the consecutive segments like "Translation 2 lvl", "Translation 3 lvl", etc. it automatically inserts the previous translated segment with a Draft status.

The thing is, that if I change the source (for testing purposes only, I can't deliver files with changed source segments) to something like this:

Feathered Little Dragon Lv 1
Feathered Little Dragon Lv 2
Feathered Little Dragon Lv 3
Feathered Little Dragon Lv 4
Feathered Little Dragon Lv 5

Autopropagation will deal with such segments without a blink; so the problem must be that the numbers are "glued" to other words/letters, so Trados does not see it as a proper number to autosubstitute.

Is there anything I can do with such segments to force the autopropogation of numbers? If the translation looked like "Translation lvl 2", I could use a trick with copying the source into target and then simply change all "Feathered Little Dragon", but the appropriate order of words is already in client's TM ("Translation 2 lvl"), so this won't work too well.
Collapse

Anthony Rudd
Anthony Rudd

Local time: 15:45
German to English
+ ...
Number propagation Oct 12, 2018

You could write a simple regular expression to change the copied numbers into the appropriate format.

Adam Warren
Haluk Aka, Chartered Linguist (MCIL)

Anthony Rudd
Anthony Rudd

German to English
+ ...
Regex for number propagation Oct 14, 2018

I also use this technique for changing European dates to US-format dates. Rather than editing each date, I copy the date from the source to the target and when the translation is finished, run a regex to reformat the dates (especially when a large number of dates are involved and possibily with different formats, such as in tables). This also reduces errors.

Don Alejandro
Don Alejandro
Russian Federation
TOPIC STARTER
Only thing left is... Oct 17, 2018

Well, only thing left is to learn how to regex I guess ;] It appears it can solve quite a lot of issues.

Anthony Rudd
Anthony Rudd

German to English
+ ...
Regex Oct 18, 2018

Very true. Regular expressions are a very useful and powerful tool, knowledge of which is often lacking. I was in the same situation last year, but now there is hardly a job in which I do not use them.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2017 and numbers autopropagation

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »