Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >
SDL Trados Studio 2019 announcement
Thread poster: SDL_Dan
SDL_Dan
SDL_Dan
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:17
Apr 25, 2018

Today we are excited to announce SDL Trados Studio 2019 is coming soon. Get ready to enjoy a whole new experience from the moment you first open the world's most trusted CAT tool!

• Experience instant access to everything
• Experience expert guidance on-demand
• Experience effortless project creation
• Experience even higher quality

To find out more about what’s coming in SDL Trados Studio 20
... See more
Today we are excited to announce SDL Trados Studio 2019 is coming soon. Get ready to enjoy a whole new experience from the moment you first open the world's most trusted CAT tool!

• Experience instant access to everything
• Experience expert guidance on-demand
• Experience effortless project creation
• Experience even higher quality

To find out more about what’s coming in SDL Trados Studio 2019, read our blog by Daniel Brockmann, Director of Product Management.
Collapse

Regi2006
Regi2006  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 06:17
Member (2007)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Hmm... Apr 25, 2018

Hello SDL_Dan,

Why can't you just incorporate all those new features into the current SDL Trados Studio 2017? I meant, Trados Studio 2017 is your own product, your pride, so, it's your responsibility to provide it with instant access to everything, expert guidance, effortless project creation and higher quality.

Thank you.

Jefferson Cerqueira (X)

Lennart Luhtaru
Lennart Luhtaru  Identity Verified
United States
English to Estonian
+ ...
Have you fixed Hidpi support Apr 25, 2018

Have you finally fixed hidpi support? It's getting ridiculous. None of the competition has the problems Studio 2017 has with 4K or 5K displays. Studio has been a pain to use for the last 4 years because of this.

[Edited at 2018-04-25 16:23 GMT]

Roger Stewart

Batuhan Yazar
Batuhan Yazar  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
+ ...
64 Bit and how about the release date? Apr 25, 2018

Will it be finally 64 bit?

When is the release date by the way? I cannot seem to find it anywhere.

There is also no screen-shots or anything in the brochure or anywhere else.

Roger Stewart

Ata Arif
Ata Arif  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Kurdish to English
+ ...
Kurdish language Apr 25, 2018

In SDL Studio 2017 you included Kurdish language that looked like great news for me and others in my language pair, however soon I realized you did not have any knowledge about Kurdish dialects and they way the language is written as it treats Kurdish sorani as a left to right language! I contacted support with all the details and gave them free advice as whst to do and they promised for S1 however after S1 and everything it is the same. I hope the 2019 one is not the same too and that. Issue i... See more
In SDL Studio 2017 you included Kurdish language that looked like great news for me and others in my language pair, however soon I realized you did not have any knowledge about Kurdish dialects and they way the language is written as it treats Kurdish sorani as a left to right language! I contacted support with all the details and gave them free advice as whst to do and they promised for S1 however after S1 and everything it is the same. I hope the 2019 one is not the same too and that. Issue is solved.Collapse

Pavel Tsvetkov
Pavel Tsvetkov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 01:17
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

v2019 Apr 25, 2018

While I do feel excited every time a new version of Trados, Déjà vu or MemoQ is announced, the vague wording of the above announcement worries me some, as it does not seem to address any of the current Studio woes:

– An outdated and illogical deactivation/activation procedure that may leave you with your hands tied after Windows crashes and needs to be reinstalled,
– Slow and unreliable new term addition/editing from inside the Editor; deceptive and buggy messages that
... See more
While I do feel excited every time a new version of Trados, Déjà vu or MemoQ is announced, the vague wording of the above announcement worries me some, as it does not seem to address any of the current Studio woes:

– An outdated and illogical deactivation/activation procedure that may leave you with your hands tied after Windows crashes and needs to be reinstalled,
– Slow and unreliable new term addition/editing from inside the Editor; deceptive and buggy messages that lead you astray,
– Mind boggling unidirectional TMs that cannot be conveniently reused with projects of opposite language direction (seriously lagging behind the competition in this respect),
– Manual TM upgrade (doubling of the original TM's size) and maintenance ("performance and tuning"): recomputing indexes, re-indexing, aligning of newly added units, etc., most of which are required for obscure reasons,
– Perplexing lower limit for the creation of an AutoSuggest dictionary that turns out to be too high for most of your freelancer TMs.

... to name but a few.

PTs
Collapse

Roger Stewart
Claudia Wuester

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Experience some new bugs (and some old ones)? Apr 25, 2018

If you turn it out this year it will be possible to get a stable version next year I suppose. By the way I don't miss anything in 2017 and will continue to use it for another year at least.

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
Local time: 00:17
English to Polish
+ ...
So true Apr 25, 2018

Pavel Tsvetkov wrote:

– Slow and unreliable new term addition/editing from inside the Editor; deceptive and buggy messages that lead you astray,
– Mind boggling unidirectional TMs that cannot be conveniently reused with projects of opposite language direction (seriously lagging behind the competition in this respect),
– Manual TM upgrade (doubling of the original TM's size) and maintenance ("performance and tuning"): recomputing indexes, re-indexing, aligning of newly added units, etc., most of which are required for obscure reasons,
– Perplexing lower limit for the creation of an AutoSuggest dictionary that turns out to be too high for most of your freelancer TMs.

... to name but a few.

PTs

While I appreciate good old marketing gibberish, thinking it provides us with more work and money, I can't understand the word they say in the leaflet.
So... what will there be new?

Roger Stewart

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Looks good on paper Apr 26, 2018

The "Tell Me" feature is the one I find the most interesting, although I won't use it that much myself.

Other than that, I believe that Studio carries so much 'baggage' from the past that it can't evolve into a modern piece of software that caters for the real needs of translators: its architecture seems to have been devised without constant consultation with translators and other domain experts. That's why the user has to 'learn the ways' of the software instead of the software ref
... See more
The "Tell Me" feature is the one I find the most interesting, although I won't use it that much myself.

Other than that, I believe that Studio carries so much 'baggage' from the past that it can't evolve into a modern piece of software that caters for the real needs of translators: its architecture seems to have been devised without constant consultation with translators and other domain experts. That's why the user has to 'learn the ways' of the software instead of the software reflecting the practices and processes (the real, day-to-day needs) of the user.

Please do some domain-driven (re-)design and amaze me. Otherwise, I am not impressed.

[Edited at 2018-04-26 06:58 GMT]
Collapse

Rachael Garcia

Renata von Koerber
Renata von Koerber  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
Baggage of the past years overshadows my expectations Apr 26, 2018

I really wish that Studio would address the problem of not having a intuitive interface design.
Looking for processes in nooks and crannies cannot be the way forward. Cryptic system messages, program glitches like disappearing search/replace windows after a different monitor setup were never addressed properly.
Of course Studio is an extremely powerful tool, but the large community of users is paying a proud price for it, and I’d wish there was enough developing power to revamp th
... See more
I really wish that Studio would address the problem of not having a intuitive interface design.
Looking for processes in nooks and crannies cannot be the way forward. Cryptic system messages, program glitches like disappearing search/replace windows after a different monitor setup were never addressed properly.
Of course Studio is an extremely powerful tool, but the large community of users is paying a proud price for it, and I’d wish there was enough developing power to revamp the whole interaction design, and finally make this user friendy.
All that went through my mind when I read that wishy-washy marketing blurb where Surprise! was the main “promise”.
I don’t want surprises - I want a technically outstanding, intuitive tool for my working day.
I’ve been waiting for that with every new release ...

[Edited at 2018-04-26 18:01 GMT]
Collapse

Claudia Wuester
Annie Sapucaia

Mark Nathan
Mark Nathan  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
Price Apr 27, 2018

I received an offer to preorder Studio 2019 for 160 euros, "if you already have Studio 2017", which I do.

But then it's only another 15 euros (i.e 185 euros) if you have a "version previous to 2017".

While this is great news for people with old versions of Trados, I don't think it is much of a reward for my loyalty over the years, which has involved paying hundreds of euros for every upgrade.

It makes me think I might not bother and just wait for Trados 202
... See more
I received an offer to preorder Studio 2019 for 160 euros, "if you already have Studio 2017", which I do.

But then it's only another 15 euros (i.e 185 euros) if you have a "version previous to 2017".

While this is great news for people with old versions of Trados, I don't think it is much of a reward for my loyalty over the years, which has involved paying hundreds of euros for every upgrade.

It makes me think I might not bother and just wait for Trados 2021 or whatever and save myself 160 euros.
Collapse

Roger Stewart
Koshinokinsho
Vladimir Filipenko
Claudia Wuester
Inge Meinzer

Enrico C - ECLC
Enrico C - ECLC  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 07:17
English to Italian
+ ...
New bugs on top of the old ones? Apr 27, 2018

It must be a thrill.

I still haven't managed to fix 2017 and all its bugs, including a whole broken installation after the last so called update and a whole Windows reinstall under request of your support (because the issue is never Studio, but some other problem).

I can only imagine how well can this go. Sounds like the usual bi-annual tax to pay for yet more bugs.

What about fixing it once and for all?

Roger Stewart

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
New bugs on old ones Apr 27, 2018

I agree, this is probably going to be new bugs on old ones.

Instead of yet more shiny bells and whistles that make for good marketing blurb, I for one would really like to see at least some minimal effort to solve some of the major core function bugs that SDL has been ignoring for at least four major releases of this software, for example the notorious unreliability of the term recognition.

Unless I see this happening, 2017 will be the last version for me.

Patrick Arbaut
Patrick Arbaut
Argentina
Local time: 20:17
Member (2014)
English to French
+ ...
System requirements ? Apr 27, 2018

Real System requirements

ChananZass
ChananZass
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Free upgrade for recent buyers of Studio 2017? In your dreams. May 1, 2018

We use various applications in our office (MS Visual Studio, MS SQL Server, a number of PDF generators and others).
Most of these applications grant you a future upgrade if you buy the current version when a new version is announced.

We inquired with SDL whether this policy, common among software makers, would apply in this case too, as we bought our Studio 2017 on 27 March 2018 (of course no one was nice enough to let us know at that date that a new version was in the works).
... See more
We use various applications in our office (MS Visual Studio, MS SQL Server, a number of PDF generators and others).
Most of these applications grant you a future upgrade if you buy the current version when a new version is announced.

We inquired with SDL whether this policy, common among software makers, would apply in this case too, as we bought our Studio 2017 on 27 March 2018 (of course no one was nice enough to let us know at that date that a new version was in the works).

We had an unpleasant chat with an SDL sales person, who told us basically to either pre-order now or pay more later. We reminded her we had actually called expecting a free upgrade. To no avail. Certainly a company with attitude issues.

We'll stick to our Studio 2017, then. Possibly seek other translation solutions.
Collapse

Jefferson Cerqueira (X)

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio 2019 announcement

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »