Greatservice00
Greatservice00
United States
Local time: 04:59
French to English
+ ...
Apr 25, 2021

Hello,

I have observed that some of the most suspicious clients that I have delt with would ask for me to use a communication app. To be fair, I have never gone through whenever they cause me to suspect that something might be wrong. However I am curious as to what the scam would have been about. Can someone please tell me what harm can be done when the client asks you to use :
1) Skype... ? I have asked around about this one and through uncertain terms I was told that they
... See more
Hello,

I have observed that some of the most suspicious clients that I have delt with would ask for me to use a communication app. To be fair, I have never gone through whenever they cause me to suspect that something might be wrong. However I am curious as to what the scam would have been about. Can someone please tell me what harm can be done when the client asks you to use :
1) Skype... ? I have asked around about this one and through uncertain terms I was told that they ask it to be able to hack your webcam and then blackmail you.
2) Discord?
3) cashapp, are they thinking of hacking my phone ?
4) whatsapp ?

I thank you, in advance, for any input and hope to learn usseful tips from you on how to protect myself.

Sincerely,

GS00
Collapse

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Apps not dangerous, but possibly annoying Apr 25, 2021

Well, if you have a legitimate fear of being blackmailed for things seen via your webcam, you might want to cut down on said activities.
But on a serious note, when you say "suspicious", do you mean that they seem suspicious of you, or that their behavior is arousing suspicion on your end?
Skype, WhatsApp and Discord are all established VOIP communications platforms. They cannot be used to "hack" you unless you (via th
... See more
Well, if you have a legitimate fear of being blackmailed for things seen via your webcam, you might want to cut down on said activities.
But on a serious note, when you say "suspicious", do you mean that they seem suspicious of you, or that their behavior is arousing suspicion on your end?
Skype, WhatsApp and Discord are all established VOIP communications platforms. They cannot be used to "hack" you unless you (via the app or otherwise) download and install malicious code that allows the hacker to do this. In that sense, they are no more or less secure than regular email.
The issue I see is that these apps are mostly used to facilitate instant communications (messaging, video calls, etc.) and a client who insists on them is going to be pestering you with instant messages or calls all the time to ask for status updates and so on, and will expect equally instant responses. I would find this distracting, as there is usually nothing that can't be accomplished by an asynchronous tool like email as long as you have notifications enabled and check your emails regularly.
I am not familiar with CashApp, but it seems to be a legitimate mobile money transfer app by Square. Presumably the client wants to use it to pay you.
Collapse

Greatservice00
Liviu-Lee Roth
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Mubarak0
Xanthippe

Greatservice00
Greatservice00
United States
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
about what was said Apr 25, 2021

Hi Lexpert,

You mean I can't shave my legs in front of the computer anymore ? well that is a bummer ;-(

But in all seriousness, Thanks for answering. I agree that the apps are just regular apps that have been misused by people with bad intention. What I was asking for was more hints on how to protect one's self from being scammed using these apps.

I meant to write that they rose my suspicion when I was interracting with them. They gave me that sam
... See more
Hi Lexpert,

You mean I can't shave my legs in front of the computer anymore ? well that is a bummer ;-(

But in all seriousness, Thanks for answering. I agree that the apps are just regular apps that have been misused by people with bad intention. What I was asking for was more hints on how to protect one's self from being scammed using these apps.

I meant to write that they rose my suspicion when I was interracting with them. They gave me that same feeling that one get when dealing with a car salesman or someone that you feel has a hidden agenda and is trying to commit social engineering in order to find out how best to cause you harm.

I think you are right about the email being the only necessary part needed for the job to be completed and that anything else would result in the client micro-managing everything being done. I think the email can still be used to do wrong things, as they gather information as well from the email sent.

Sincerely,

GS00

[Edited at 2021-04-25 16:10 GMT]
Collapse

Greatservice00
Greatservice00
United States
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
About the Cashapp Apr 25, 2021

Hi again Lexpert,

Yes I sent the initial email telling them that I would be available for translations. THey answered by asking me for my whatsapp. Then asking if cashapp was an ok form of payment. They also gave me a deadline to take a test by 12 pm today. I thought several things were weird about it so I did not answer.

Sincerely,

GS00

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 10:59
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Not sure... Apr 25, 2021

Greatservice00 wrote:

Hi again Lexpert,

Yes I sent the initial email telling them that I would be available for translations. THey answered by asking me for my whatsapp. Then asking if cashapp was an ok form of payment. They also gave me a deadline to take a test by 12 pm today. I thought several things were weird about it so I did not answer.

Sincerely,

GS00

Are you able to check this client on BB or elsewhere?

I also hate taking conversation away from my email inbox because in this case it’s harder to track conversation history with a client.

Whatsapp is not uncommon, it may only mean it’s a client’s habitual app or easier to use on the phone, and they’re asking you to adjust to their app habits. I wouldn’t do it, personally.

Asking you if XY is an acceptable form of payment should be asked in advance so there are no surprises in the end. So this question is common as well.

[Edited at 2021-04-25 16:40 GMT]

Greatservice00
Liviu-Lee Roth

Greatservice00
Greatservice00
United States
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
about checking the client on blue board Apr 25, 2021

Hi Lingua 5B,

Thank you for posting. For legal reasons I will not name the company. However I did check blue board for the company, there is no review.

You are right, switching from email to another app does make it difficult to keep track of the conversation. However there is another problem. The information that you give out and that can be used to scam you. In this case, giving the whatsapp link gives also your real number to the client. I have not met that client
... See more
Hi Lingua 5B,

Thank you for posting. For legal reasons I will not name the company. However I did check blue board for the company, there is no review.

You are right, switching from email to another app does make it difficult to keep track of the conversation. However there is another problem. The information that you give out and that can be used to scam you. In this case, giving the whatsapp link gives also your real number to the client. I have not met that client and will not assume that they are up to no good based on just that request, but I have had scammers ,in the past , do social engineering just to find out what my real number is... my rule is if scammers want it then all the more reasons to not share it with regular folks.

As for using Cashapp, you also have a point as it is cutomary to discuss method of payment prior to the job. I think I have kept some of the habits from using another freelance website and the moment that the client mentioned a method of payment that was a bit out of the norm, my internal alarms went off. It did not help that two weeks ago a scammer also tried to get me to install Cashapp on my phone after they had found out the number and ent me a text. I had never met or spoken to the person prior to this and their first text after discovering my number was to ask me to install cashapp on my phone.

Sincerely,

GS00
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 05:59
Romanian to English
+ ...
One thing is to be cautious and vigilant, something else to be paranoid about being scammed Apr 25, 2021

Greatservice00 wrote:

Hi Lingua 5B,

You are right, switching from email to another app does make it difficult to keep track of the conversation. However there is another problem. The information that you give out and that can be used to scam you. In this case, giving the whatsapp link gives also your real number to the client. I have not met that client and will not assume that they are up to no good based on just that request, but I have had scammers ,in the past , do social engineering just to find out what my real number is... my rule is if scammers want it then all the more reasons to not share it with regular folks.

As for using Cashapp, you also have a point as it is cutomary to discuss method of payment prior to the job. I think I have kept some of the habits from using another freelance website and the moment that the client mentioned a method of payment that was a bit out of the norm, my internal alarms went off. It did not help that two weeks ago a scammer also tried to get me to install Cashapp on my phone after they had found out the number and ent me a text. I had never met or spoken to the person prior to this and their first text after discovering my number was to ask me to install cashapp on my phone.

Sincerely,

GS00

If you want to shave your legs in front of your open computer/laptop, feel free to do it. If you notice that the video light is ON, then you can draw the conclusion that your computer is hacked.

I receive communication by e-mail, Whatsapp, text messages very frequently and nothing horrendous happened.

Where is the problem with giving out your real name and contact information? For over 15 years my CV is public, all my contact info are on the Roster of court interpreters, ATA and NAJIT directory. Big deal!

I agree with you in regards to their request to download Cashapp. That alone would be a red flag and I would discard them immediately.

We must be cautious, on a daily basis I receive 2-3 spam messages, spear-fishing or even smart scam attempts, but this doesn't mean we must become paranoid. If you don't like a certain message, send it to the trash bin. End of the story. Dwelling into it doesn't help.

Stay safe,
Lee

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 09:59
Japanese to English
Follow your instincts Apr 25, 2021

If something about the client doesn't pass the sniff test, follow your instincts. No need to talk yourself into something you feel uncomfortable with. If you are most comfortable communicating by e-mail and receiving money via bank transfer, then stick to your guns. You're a professional. You're allowed to set your own terms.

Greatservice00
Liviu-Lee Roth
Robert Rietvelt
Ester Vidal
Christine Andersen
Tina Vonhof (X)

Monica RW
Monica RW
Local time: 10:59
Member (2015)
English to Polish
+ ...
Skype and Whatsapp Apr 26, 2021

I have been using Skype and Whatsapp for immediate communication with my overseas customers daily for maaaany years. Besides, Whatsapp is widely used even for daily private communication here in Spain, even for local calls. I can't imagine being in contact with customers without these apps. Monica

Liviu-Lee Roth

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The client is asking for me to use a sspecific app

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »