Thread poster: Chaineda Sterling
Chaineda Sterling
Chaineda Sterling
United States
Local time: 15:06
English to Haitian-Creole
+ ...
Apr 27, 2021

Hi-I am a newly trained interpreter, I have been offered an OPI contract at .55 cents/minute. Just wondering if this is an acceptable rate to start with.

Any feedback/advice would be greatly appreciated

Thank you,

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:06
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
55 cent/minute Apr 28, 2021

Now if it were 55 cents per word that would be a very good rate. But per minute is ridiculous.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:06
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Chaineda Apr 28, 2021

Chaineda Sterling wrote:
I am a newly trained interpreter...

What advice did your training institute give you about this?

I have been offered an [over the phone interpreting] contract at USD 0.55 cents/minute.

I know nothing of interpreting, but a quick google for OPI interpreting services gets me amounts like e.g. USD 1.50 per minute (that's what the client pays), and getting 1/3 of what the end-client pays is not abnormal. This may mean that USD 0.55 is not unusual in your industry.

However, do the math: that's USD 33 per hour... but only if you work the entire hour each hour. More likely you'll be on call for a number of hours a day but you'll be earning money only during 10-20 minutes each hour (I'm just guessing, but you'll find out quickly once you start doing it), and you may or may not get paid for hold/ mute/ waiting periods during a call, and that could bring your income down to under USD 10 per actual hour.

If your contract allows you to back out of this job with very little notice (e.g. you can tell them within just 7 days that you no longer want to do this), then I would suggest that you accept this job to get the experience.

I suggest you repost your question here:
https://www.proz.com/forum/interpreting-67.html
...and mention the words "over the phone interpreting" in the subject line.

[Edited at 2021-04-28 06:43 GMT]

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 14:06
English to Russian
+ ...
Hi Chaineda Apr 28, 2021

A lot depends on your pocket and lifestyle.

First, for the sake of argument - as a rule, OPI does not pay 1.50/minute in the US. You either work virtual meetings for your regular rates, sometimes even more but that takes name an experience, or you get between 0.40 - 0.70 with the latter being mostly for immigration services. Your rate is right in the middle.

I know two people in En-Ru pair who make between $1200 and $2000/month doing it but both pretty much stay at home
... See more
A lot depends on your pocket and lifestyle.

First, for the sake of argument - as a rule, OPI does not pay 1.50/minute in the US. You either work virtual meetings for your regular rates, sometimes even more but that takes name an experience, or you get between 0.40 - 0.70 with the latter being mostly for immigration services. Your rate is right in the middle.

I know two people in En-Ru pair who make between $1200 and $2000/month doing it but both pretty much stay at home anyway, for various unrelated reasons. Plus, it is not their only income. They can drop everything and pick up the phone any time, day or night. You can get only a couple of 15-min calls a day, or you can get 2-4 hours worth. Nobody knows or guarantees anything but those agencies have the so called "forecast" when they expect the busiest times of the day in your time zone. Nothing to rely on or hold them to. I don't know the demand for your pair. You don't have to ask anyone's permission to start, to quit, to take a break etc. You sign into the system at will, take breaks and sign off at will. Usually, after the system will be accessible for you, they will ask what's up with you only if you get lost for 2-3 months or something.

If, for any reason, you spend a lot of time at home, then it's better than nothing, it'll definitely pay at least your utility bills, but to stay at home for that and miss on other things in life or better-paying jobs is completely unreasonable... if you can afford it, that is. But no one can judge how important even a few hundred bucks are for you. So take it from there.

Good luck!

Irina
Collapse

Chaineda Sterling
Chaineda Sterling
United States
Local time: 15:06
English to Haitian-Creole
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! May 6, 2021

Hello guys,

Thank you for the taking the time to respond to my post, your inputs were helpful.

I will start with this offer to gain experience and see where it takes me. This is supplemental income for me so it should be fine financially for now. I am also looking at other opportunities that could be a bit more lucrative.

Thanks again for all the advice

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Sounds like some newbie exploitation gig May 10, 2021

Chaineda Sterling wrote:

Hello guys,

Thank you for the taking the time to respond to my post, your inputs were helpful.

I will start with this offer to gain experience and see where it takes me. This is supplemental income for me so it should be fine financially for now. I am also looking at other opportunities that could be a bit more lucrative.

Thanks again for all the advice

Also, remember that the devil is usually in the details.

33 bucks per hour isn't too bad... but 55 cents per minute ISN'T 33 bucks per hour, not unless you set minimum fees.

If you manage to get 1 or 2 hour minimums and collect a bunch of small jobs, it might actually be OK.

But without minimums, you may well find yourself wasting half a day or more for $15.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Job Offer: Rate

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »