Finding work opportunities
Thread poster: Mohamad Alayoubi
Mohamad Alayoubi
Mohamad Alayoubi
Lebanon
Local time: 12:58
English to Arabic
Oct 8, 2020

Hello , i want to ask if someone can help me connect to some translation companies or agencies to work with as i am struggling to find work opportunities , my rate is not high and i translate from English to Arabic .

Neyf Almeida
Neyf Almeida  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:58
Member (2017)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Suggestion Oct 8, 2020

Have you tried hiring a mentor to help/guide you?

Gurvitch Dutès
Gurvitch Dutès  Identity Verified
Haiti
Local time: 06:58
English to Haitian-Creole
+ ...
Be present and active on certain social network platforms and quote on available assignments Oct 8, 2020

Hello Mohamad Alayoubi,

My heart goes to you because it can be a little bit frustrating not finding work opportunities especially when you think you have done your best to be visible.

Just one little trick that may work is to be present and active on social network platforms like LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, and so on.

One more tip is to quote on jobs that you would like to work on. And, if you are not a paid member, consider this option carefully because
... See more
Hello Mohamad Alayoubi,

My heart goes to you because it can be a little bit frustrating not finding work opportunities especially when you think you have done your best to be visible.

Just one little trick that may work is to be present and active on social network platforms like LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, and so on.

One more tip is to quote on jobs that you would like to work on. And, if you are not a paid member, consider this option carefully because it adds to your authority as a freelancer. Future clients will be more inclined to take you seriously when you a paid member.

Above all, you may want to check out your profile to see if represents you well, and have an eye on your CV too.

I sincerely hope you do not give up because it is waiting game after all. Your time will come, but keep on working and keep on improving your skills.

Best regards,

GD.
Collapse

expressisverbis
Emilli Maeda
Sara Massons
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Omer Dasbilek
Eric Azevedo

Mohamad Alayoubi
Mohamad Alayoubi
Lebanon
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the replies Oct 8, 2020

Thanks for the replies my following translators .
First , concerning the guide suggestion , hiring needs money which i lack currently .
I worked for a company for a year and did various projects and i am active on platform's, i need some projects to set me up , i have experience required , and i live in Lebanon and financial situation is not good , i hope if i can find more opportunities to improve my welfare .
Thanks again .

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:58
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Why not promote yourself here Oct 9, 2020

As you're asking on the ProZ.com forums, I suppose you actively search for work here too. If so, I'm afraid you won't have much chance of finding any unless you make far more effort with your profile. Have a look at the directory to find how many competitors you're up against here in your pair. Then have a look at the profiles of the top ten in that listing. I doubt that they have an almost totally blank profile. Filling in your profile and writing an engaging and bilingual bio for the About me ... See more
As you're asking on the ProZ.com forums, I suppose you actively search for work here too. If so, I'm afraid you won't have much chance of finding any unless you make far more effort with your profile. Have a look at the directory to find how many competitors you're up against here in your pair. Then have a look at the profiles of the top ten in that listing. I doubt that they have an almost totally blank profile. Filling in your profile and writing an engaging and bilingual bio for the About me section doesn't cost anything; doing the same on LinkedIn etc likewise. Answering KudoZ questions and uploading a professional style photo and CV doesn't cost anything either.

This is just repeating what the others have said: you have to put far more effort into self-promotion. That's the answer.
Collapse

expressisverbis
Zibow Retailleau
Eric Azevedo
Johannah Morrison

Mon P.
Mon P.
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:58
English to Thai
+ ...
Suggestion from My Experience Oct 12, 2020

I can understand your situation. Trying to get yourself established in this business will require some sort of financial investment. Getting certified is expensive. Bidding for jobs in freelancing platforms requires some sort of tokens to place a bid. Here are some of what I did to find opportunities.

- Registering and sending your CV to some of the bigger translation agencies will not hurt you. It is time-consuming to fill out their online forms but will not cost you any money.
... See more
I can understand your situation. Trying to get yourself established in this business will require some sort of financial investment. Getting certified is expensive. Bidding for jobs in freelancing platforms requires some sort of tokens to place a bid. Here are some of what I did to find opportunities.

- Registering and sending your CV to some of the bigger translation agencies will not hurt you. It is time-consuming to fill out their online forms but will not cost you any money. Some of the companies offer online tests, so you can get kind of certified without paying fees. Try registering in the companies listed on this web page: https://www.g2.com/products/gengo/competitors/alternatives

- Try to expand your skill sets, have you try subtitling or transcribing?

- Check out Netflix Preferred Fulfillment Partners https://npfp.netflixstudios.com/ and check out your region. Some of the subtitling companies offer online tests, giving you opportunities to demonstrate your skills.

I hope this helps.
Collapse

Mohamad Alayoubi
Mr. Satan (X)

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
I know it's tough Oct 12, 2020

English-Arabic seems to be quite a popular pair, so naturally you will be facing fierce competitions. If you've ever done something big in your previous job, you can use that to gain some attention. Also, as the others have said, sending your CV to companies won't hurt. They might be planning to post a job ad for your language pair, so there's a chance that they will call you first before anyone else.

Several freelance translation job platforms available online, you might want to tr
... See more
English-Arabic seems to be quite a popular pair, so naturally you will be facing fierce competitions. If you've ever done something big in your previous job, you can use that to gain some attention. Also, as the others have said, sending your CV to companies won't hurt. They might be planning to post a job ad for your language pair, so there's a chance that they will call you first before anyone else.

Several freelance translation job platforms available online, you might want to try out all of them. See if you'll have any luck in one. In the end of the day, we're kinda subject to the cosmic RNG. Try to manipulate the probability as best as you can to get a good roll, basically.

[Edited at 2020-10-12 15:11 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-10-12 15:15 GMT]
Collapse

Mohamad Alayoubi

Mohamad Alayoubi
Mohamad Alayoubi
Lebanon
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your suggestions everyone Oct 12, 2020

I will definitely try all your suggestions , thank you a lot guys .

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Hope all will be good for you Oct 13, 2020

Good luck, buddy. Hope you'll be able to secure your financial situation as soon as possible.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Finding work opportunities

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »