Thread poster: Comunican
Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:39
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 15, 2009

I am trialling Wordfast Pro, having been a user of Wordfast Classic for several years.

When I tried to import my standard ".txt" version of my translation memory, Wordfast Pro overwrote my TM (all 75000 translation units of it) with a 1KB file (!). Fortunately, I had backed it up last week.

Next, I tried exporting to TMX format and then importing that. This time, I got more information - a fatal errorr:

"***fatalerror*** Error on line 2707 of document file:
... See more
I am trialling Wordfast Pro, having been a user of Wordfast Classic for several years.

When I tried to import my standard ".txt" version of my translation memory, Wordfast Pro overwrote my TM (all 75000 translation units of it) with a 1KB file (!). Fortunately, I had backed it up last week.

Next, I tried exporting to TMX format and then importing that. This time, I got more information - a fatal errorr:

"***fatalerror*** Error on line 2707 of document file: [location of TMX file]: The reference to entity "gt" must end with the ';' delimiter. Nested exception: The reference to entity "gt" must end with the ';' delimiter.

I don't know what this means or how to identify line 2707 in the TMX file.

Also, when importing my glossary that I have built up with Wordfast Classic, Wordfast Pro gave me the message "5440 of 5440 items will be imported", but when I clicked on OK, it presented an error message saying "The import terminology file is empty." So much for compatibility between Wordfast Classic and Pro…!

Can anyone advise please?

Many thanks

[Edited at 2009-09-16 00:12 GMT]
Collapse

Alan Tolerton
Alan Tolerton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:39
French to English
Me too Sep 16, 2009

I will be interested to follow this string, as I have been having similar problems.

Kristyna Marrero
Kristyna Marrero  Identity Verified
United States
Please send me the files Sep 17, 2009

Can you please email your TM and glossary so I can investigate this?

Sincerely,

Kristyna
[email protected]

Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
for confidentiality reasons, I cant Sep 17, 2009

Kristyna Marrero wrote:

Can you please email your TM and glossary so I can investigate this?

Hi Kristyna
As I said in my original post, I can't send the TM since it would break the confidentiality agreements I have with clients.
Is there some other way of fixing this problem, please?
Thanks

Albert Stufkens
Albert Stufkens  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:39
Member (2008)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Vast TM disappearing Sep 17, 2009

Is it perhaps possible that you were using a trial version, i.e. unlicensed? Such version does not accept a vast TM.
I also tried the Pro version out on trial. Fortunately, the program automatically set the vast TM as ' read only'. If you would have deliberately put a check mark indicating the TM as 'Selected' then (I am just guessing) you could run into a problem.
Experiment with a limited TM and see what happens. My experiments were successful.

[quote]Comunican wrote:

QUOI
QUOI  Identity Verified

Chinese to English
+ ...
Got the same message when importing WFC glossary Sep 17, 2009

I got the same "The import terminology file is empty." message, however, the glossary is in fact imported successfully as I can see terms highlighted and can be "ctrl-alt-8,9,0"ed when I translate.

Comunican wrote:
Also, when importing my glossary that I have built up with Wordfast Classic, Wordfast Pro gave me the message "5440 of 5440 items will be imported", but when I clicked on OK, it presented an error message saying "The import terminology file is empty." So much for compatibility between Wordfast Classic and Pro…!

[Edited at 2009-09-17 22:57 GMT]

Kristyna Marrero
Kristyna Marrero  Identity Verified
United States
Importing TMs and Glossary Sep 22, 2009

Hi All,

You should be able to import your glossary as a tab delimited text file into Wordfast Pro v. 2.2.2 with no problem. Also, you should be able to import a txt Translation Memory from Wordfast Classic as well. Would someone who is experiencing issues with this please send me their glossary and/or TM so that I can try to get to the bottom of it?

Sincerely,

Kristyna
[email protected]

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
unicode Sep 23, 2009

Once I had a similar annoyance importing WFC data to a new WF pro.
Perhaps it was a huge versions difference or my old Office XP 2002 then, but I did manage to tune it a little and give it a go... worked fine for me.

Oops, still using classic)

[Редактировалось 2009-09-23 12:10 GMT]

Edwin Miles
Edwin Miles
Germany
Member (2008)
German to English
Possible solution Nov 10, 2009

Many thanks

[Edited at 2009-09-16 00:12 GMT]

I had exactly the same problem and finally tracked it down to asterisks in the target term.

Specifically, the DE term was "Einbaulochdurchmesser" and the equivalent EN term "installation holes of *** diameter".

As this was the only term (of nearly 10000 terms in the glossary) with asterisks, it's a fairly safe bet they were the problem. Get rid of the asterisks or get rid of the term and see if it helps...

Edwin Miles
Edwin Miles
Germany
Member (2008)
German to English
For the glossary issue, at least... Nov 10, 2009

Can't speak for the TM issue, sorry.

Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Edwin is correct with his solution regarding the asterisks Nov 17, 2009

Hi Edwin
Many thanks - your solution works.
Thank you for your help.
Kind regards

Jamie Lucero
Jamie Lucero  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:39
French to English
More import tips Nov 17, 2009

Glossaries: Regarding glossary import, Pro 2.2.3 was only tripped up for me when there was an asterisk at the beginning of any source or target word. An asterisk in any other position in the source or target did not cause a problem.

TMs: Not sure why this is the case, but I've found that reorganizing the Classic TM with a recent version of Classic before trying to import into Pro usually solves any import problems.

Jamie

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems importing Wordfast Classic TM and glossary into Wordfast Pro

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »