Studio 2009 crashing frequently
Thread poster: EHI (X)
EHI (X)
EHI (X)
Local time: 22:01
Jun 6, 2009

I was hoping this would be fixed in the final release, but on my computer Studio still crashes quite frequently.

This normally happens when I am just typing in a translation or when I click CTRL+ENTER to move to the next sentence. Studio then freezes (Not Responding) and I have to restart.

Is anybody else having this problem?

....we really need a separate forum for Studio 2009.

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 23:01
English to Turkish
+ ...
There is already a separate forum for SDL products Jun 6, 2009

Scope of SDL Trados support
Get and give support on SDLX, Trados, MultiTerm, and other SDL Trados products

IMO, SDL Trados Studio 2009 is one of those other SDL Trados products.

Next year we will have a new revolutionary product, SDL Trados Studio 2010, which will be most possibly incompatible with the 2009 version.

Ali Bayraktar
Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Not a good tittle Jun 6, 2009

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Next year we will have a new revolutionary product, SDL Trados Studio 2010, which will be most possibly incompatible with the 2009 version.

I think the title should be changed here.
Is it a proposal about new forum or just a thread for discussing the crashes of new SDL Product?

EHI (X)
EHI (X)
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry, Ali. Jun 6, 2009

Is it a proposal about new forum or just a thread for discussing the crashes of new SDL Product?

I thought my three little dots would indicate that this was just a side remark.

What I'm really interested in is the crashing problem.

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:01
Flemish to English
+ ...
Rush Jun 6, 2009

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

And all will rush to buy SDL Trados Studio 2010 which may be compatible with the new improved version of Windows due next year and the new version of MsOffice, also due next year ...

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Compatibility vs. enhanced functionality Jun 6, 2009

Sorry, slightly OT (but so was Selcuk's comment, IMO):

I think it's obvious that the old Trados technology had come to the end of its useful life - adding new functions such as AutoSuggest or context-sensitive matching requires more than just a revamp.

After all, nobody forces you to change over. Personally, I will, and much sooner than with previous versions (when I usually waited for a year before installing).

Best regards,
Ralf

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 23:01
English to Turkish
+ ...
Old technology Jun 6, 2009

Ralf Lemster wrote:
Sorry, slightly OT (but so was Selcuk's comment, IMO):

Agree Ralf, my comment was exactly OT But considering that Studio 2009 is really a revolutionary product (at least for Trados users), some comments may be slightly OT. Lutz, hope it is not a problem for you.

Ralf Lemster wrote:
I think it's obvious that the old Trados technology had come to the end of its useful life - adding new functions such as AutoSuggest or context-sensitive matching requires more than just a revamp.

Trados was using an old technology; there is not so much difference between Trados 6.5 and 2007 Suite, but translators were forced to buy new versions due to incompatibility between versions. Based on my experience from previous Trados versions, I am sure that the next version of this product (which is wrongly named Trados Studio, it is better to call it SDLX Studio) will again be incompatible with the 2009 version.

Lutz, as for the problems you report, I didn't experience such problems (in Beta2 and RC1 versions, at least). It can be related to the size of your TM. Did you test it with a smaller TM?

EHI (X)
EHI (X)
TOPIC STARTER
thanks for the advice Jun 6, 2009

Agree Ralf, my comment was exactly OT But considering that Studio 2009 is really a revolutionary product (at least for Trados users), some comments may be slightly OT. Lutz, hope it is not a problem for you.

not at all

Lutz, as for the problems you report, I didn't experience such problems (in Beta2 and RC1 versions, at least). It can be related to the size of your TM. Did you test it with a smaller TM?

Thanks for the advice Selcuk. My TM is about 1.2 GB.
I'll try with a smaller TM, although this is of course not the ideal solution.
I never had this problem with the 2007 version.
Seems odd to me that an enhanced version of a tool cannot cope with its core function as reliably as its predecessor version.

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Enhanced Jun 8, 2009

Doesn't "enhanced" usually mean "better"?

tommy3shoes
tommy3shoes
German to English
2009 Studio Freezes Jun 27, 2009

Hello Lutz,

I'm having exactly the same problem - Studio 2009 freezes after I hit CTRL-ENTER or while entering text in the editor function. I've spoken with the support people and they say they haven't heard of this problem from anybody else. I have to exit the program and restart. This happens five to ten times during a normal eight hour day with TMs ranging in size from 24 to 366 MB.

At the moment I'm just hoping the problem will be solved when SP1 comes out.
... See more
Hello Lutz,

I'm having exactly the same problem - Studio 2009 freezes after I hit CTRL-ENTER or while entering text in the editor function. I've spoken with the support people and they say they haven't heard of this problem from anybody else. I have to exit the program and restart. This happens five to ten times during a normal eight hour day with TMs ranging in size from 24 to 366 MB.

At the moment I'm just hoping the problem will be solved when SP1 comes out.

Has anybody else had experience with this problem?
Collapse

Mario Hrašna
Mario Hrašna
German to Slovak
+ ...
the same Jun 27, 2009

I have exactly the same problem, its crashing and crashing... and I am just asking me where the promissed "speed" is hidden then

Mindaugas Kiaupas
Mindaugas Kiaupas  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
here also crashing Jun 27, 2009

Yes, it keeps crashing also for me a few times per working hour. In order to avoid losing parts of work, I developed a reflex to press Ctrl+S each time I stop typing in translation. In addition, have not noticed any different, more stable behavior be it a large or small TM.

Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:01
German to English
Me too Jun 28, 2009

The promised speed when working is true - if you can avoid the crashes. I have had to switch off my external hard drive which mirrors my PC. That has reduced some crashes but others are totally unpredictable and I am saving more - but not often enough.
Gillian

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Already reported Jun 28, 2009

Hi all,
I experience a number of crashes too and keep sending my reports to Paul Filkin from SDL. They are already after it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2009 crashing frequently

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »